LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 10-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
Hammerman
New User

Default Out of these powders, which is best?

I have a 1939 luger that I use for a shooter. The powders that I currently stock are Universal, HS-6, Longshot, Clays, and RedDot. Which one of these is best for a luger when using 115 and 124 grain jacketed bullets.

So far I've only loaded up RedDot, but I'm slowly moving away from it, that is unless it would be better for a luger. I could try loading up some of each powder, but I thought I'd get some comments on it.

Thanks.
Hammerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Unfortunately, the only powder that you list that I use is Red Dot. I use it for reloading my 30 Luger rounds. It is a very fast powder, but seems to work very well in the little bottleneck brass. For 9mm, I have been very pleased with Unique (the old standby), and Power Pistol(last 2 years). You will get a bit of flash/bang muzzle report with PP, but it meters very well, burns clean, and is quite accurate. Others like Accurate #5, but I have never tried it.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 11:53 PM   #3
Freischütz
User

I've had excellent results in both the 7.65 and 9 mm with HS-6. There's very little leading with plain based lead bullets, and it meters consistently through my Lyman 55 powder measure. Right now it's my preferred powder.

Unique also produces good results. However with it I find more leading with plain based lead bullets. It also leaves a residue that attracts bullet lube. Unique does not meter consistently for me.

Red Dot meters more consistently than Unique. It has a similar bullet lube affinity. It seems to produce more pressure than Unique for equal velocities. This conclusion is subjective and based on the amount of effort needed to resize the same cases used with Unique. Years ago I read that Red Dot had similar burning characteristics to the original 9mm powder. When I asked here, no one knew if that was true.

I haven't used Accurate Arms Nr 5 but have used Nr 7 in the 7.65. Velocities seemed low – about 100fps below the manual (manual used 6” barrel and different cases). The powder is very fine and works its way between my powder measure's drum and body. It takes a lot of force to work the measure. But, the stuff does meter consistently.

I don't have any experience with the other powders so no comments on them.

When shooting P.08s or any other older pistol I try to keep pressures down by using mid and slower burning powders. I also limit the velocity to the factory specification for the period in which the gun was made. I've seen 7.65 data that rivaled full loads in my C96 and wondered how the poor old P.08s held up against it.
Freischütz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
SlayerK98
User

I've used HS-6 for both 9mm and .45 Auto with very good results. The 9mm worked fine in my Luger, P-38, Beretta 92, MP-40, Uzi, and MP-5. Not sure about velocities. I use 115gr FMJ bullets.

-Eric
SlayerK98 is offline   Reply With Quote