LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 07-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
TennBill2
RIP

Default Powders for old guns?

I have only recently gotten into reloading due to cost and difficulty finding ammo. I have Lugers in .30 cal and 9mm and Broomy in .30. Additionally, I shoot 44/40 and .44 Russian. I've bought Starline brass. A recent trip to the Sporting Goods store left my head spinning with the array of powders! How about a few suggestions that are adequate for old metal...to get the bullet out of the barrel.
TennBill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
omegaman
User

Default Good Powder

I've been reloading for over 35 years, and the easiest and most universal powder I've found is Unique. It's an older powder that's been around awhile, but performs quite well across the board. I'm sure there are those who are impressed with some of the newer powders, but Unique is time tested.
omegaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I agree 100% on the flexibility, and "just works good in nearly anything" of Unique powder. It has been around approx. 100 years, and still does the job. Some folks complain that it doesn't meter as good as others, but if you are not loading to the max. loads, it should pose no problems. Different powder measures throw loads differently, as you know. I have just not had a problem with metering Unique Powder, and I started using it in 1971-72 timeframe, and still use it in many calibers. Give it a try, I think that you will like it. It is a medium burner, and is pretty forgiving.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 01:25 AM   #4
Sieger
User

Hi:

For accuracy and function in a 9mm Luger, I've found nothing better, for jacketed bullets, than Power Pistol and SR 4756. For lead bullets, Power Pistol and AA# 5 have been the most accurate for me. Accurate means three out of three shots touching on a consistent basis.

For the .30s, I again would opt for SR 4756.

My experience with Unique dates back to 1979 or so. True, it would make my Luger function, but, for me anyway, was just too darn dirty, in fact, filthy and not all that accurate to boot!

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

The "new" Unique(last few years) is an improved formula and is cleaner burning then the older(Hercules Brand) of powder. Actually it is a slight bit faster also, but not by much.
Unread 07-29-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
TennBill2
RIP

Default Sr 4756

Thanks, Gents for the ideas. As it turns out, I looked at a can of powder I'd had for years, it is SR 4756! Got it in a chest with some reloading equipment bought at a yard sale. There was a bunch of 30-06 shells in the stuff and I assumed is was for reloading those. Put it on a shelf and never thought anymore about it. I'll look up some data on it and give it a try. Might see if I can find some of the older Unique, know of a shop that has a lot of old stuff sitting around. Bill
TennBill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennBill2 View Post
Thanks, Gents for the ideas. As it turns out, I looked at a can of powder I'd had for years, it is SR 4756! Got it in a chest with some reloading equipment bought at a yard sale. There was a bunch of 30-06 shells in the stuff and I assumed is was for reloading those. Put it on a shelf and never thought anymore about it. I'll look up some data on it and give it a try. Might see if I can find some of the older Unique, know of a shop that has a lot of old stuff sitting around. Bill
I don't believe that there will be any problem with using the newer Unique, and it is shoots cleaner. No real need to use the old Hercules Unique, unless you just want to do so.
Unread 09-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
SIGP2101
User

Any powder in medium to slow burning rate for Luger.
SIGP2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 01:32 PM   #9
pors12
User

Hello,

I use hodgdon HP38 for my luger´s.
Works good, no problem with it.

regards

Otto
pors12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #10
Xerato
User

I'm running HP-38 also.
I am using a Molly-coated bullet, so there is a bit of smoke generated.
(this is the standard load I make for all of my 9mm pistols, modern and old)

One thing I noticed is I need to slightly decrease the OAL, for the Luger, to make it feed correctly from the magazine into the chamber.
Xerato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #11
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennBill2 View Post
...I looked at a can of powder I'd had for years, it is SR 4756! Got it in a chest with some reloading equipment bought at a yard sale. There was a bunch of 30-06 shells in the stuff and I assumed is was for reloading those. Put it on a shelf and never thought anymore about it. I'll look up some data on it and give it a try. Might see if I can find some of the older Unique, know of a shop that has a lot of old stuff sitting around. Bill
Old powder that has been sitting around for years makes me very uneasy...even if it is my old powder...

My advice - Chuck that old stuff and buy a new can.

...$.02...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 04:06 PM   #12
JD
User

Amen to chucking the old powder and getting a new can. Since it came from a garage sale, you have absolutely no idea of what's in that can!!!! The previous owner could have dumped Bullseye in it for all you know. I know of several guns blown up with "garage sale" powder that wasn't what was listed on the original can label. Not worth the risk to you or the gun...
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 01:36 AM   #13
Sieger
User

Guys,

"Old" powder is usable until it finally breaks down chemically (rusty dust in powder, acrid smell).

You are correct in assuming that this may not be the original powder for that particular can, so if any question (and there should be) chuck it!!

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #14
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieger View Post
Guys,

"Old" powder is usable until it finally breaks down chemically (rusty dust in powder, acrid smell).

You are correct in assuming that this may not be the original powder for that particular can, so if any question (and there should be) chuck it!!

Sieger

Agree 100% Powder is cheap....hands/eyes, and guns are expensive!!