LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-29-2002, 07:37 PM   #1
Steve
User

Default Gun show complaint

Yesterday I went to the guns show in Portland, Oregon and have a major complaint and am wondering if other shows have the same problem. I was unable to make it until Sunday afternoon and about half of the people started closing up their tables 2 hours early. Does this mean that they do not like the people who cannot come until the last day and that I should not bother them with my presence in the future?

Unread 04-29-2002, 08:02 PM   #2
dgp42
User

Default Re: Gun show complaint

Don't be paranoid. It is'nt YOU! Usually if a seller has had either a very Profitable or Poor show, they will start packing up early. Or they just want to beat the congestion that comes with everyone packing up at the same time. I've done many shows and depending on how much stuff you've had out for sale the packing up can take several hours.If Gun Shows are not your main source of income and depending on how far you have to drive to get home. Getting going can be your main priority. My suggestion is to go early Sun or Sat. If you think going late on Sun. will get you a better price or if you absolutely can't go earlier, most of the good stuff is already gone.IMO

Unread 04-29-2002, 10:37 PM   #3
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

What he said. In addition, I have heard a couple of exhibitors say that the three-day shows are pretty taxing.

--Dwight

Unread 04-29-2002, 11:53 PM   #4
Doug
User

Steve, unless you have worked a two or three day show you will never know why the dealers want to go ASAP on Sunday. The factors mentioned above leave out the frustration factor that overcomes you from having tire kickers grope your guns (usually without asking) for two days. I'm not talking about people really interested in buying something. It's the guys who just want to knock your stuff and tell you they can get the same thing for much less. I usually try to stay as late as possible as I consider this a prime time to buy or get in a last minute sale.

Unread 04-30-2002, 01:21 AM   #5
Steve
User

I have not worked a gun show but I have worked 3 days at gemshows demonstrating faceting and know how tireing it can get. But when I cannot get to the show until Sunday afternoon and then a large percentage of the dealers start putting their stuff away before I even have time to make a very fast pass through to determine what I want to go back to spend a little time looking at it gets very frustrating.

Unread 04-30-2002, 10:52 AM   #6
schwob
RIP

My .02 worth. I've been at m-a-n-y gun shows and marvel at the discourtesy of many of the customers that attend and mishandle the wares presented by the dealers. The patience of some dealers is only great. On the other hand, some of the dealers are crude and short tempered, maybe due to some of the customers. I'll not say one word about some of the comments made by 'patrons' to a dealer about a specific item. I don't think I would care to be spoken to in such a manner, no matter the iten being discussed or examined. For myself I'll attend, look, ask questions, ask to see a piece, ask if I made work the action, etc, etc, but only with permission. My thought is, it isn't mine, the item still belongs to a someone else, therefore respect is primary. I don't think I have the patience to be a dealer and then having to put up with some people arrogance, ignorance, disrespect, etc, etc. IMHO.

Unread 04-30-2002, 05:07 PM   #7
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts
Default Re: Gun show solution

Steve, I have had success going to many shows at about 6:00 PM on Friday while dealers are setting up. Generally you can walk right in and quite a few of the dealers are buying and selling the good deals then while customers are not there to bother them. If you are extreamly polite you will get good results. Schwob said it best. Give it a try. I found my 1917 Imperial Navy that way. Jerry Burney

Unread 05-03-2002, 01:17 AM   #8
Big Norm
RIP

Default Re: Gun show solution

Jerry has some excellent points. The trouble is that some shows will not allow non dealers into the show while dealers are setting up. Some shows will not allow dealers to shut down before a certain time on the last day. It all depends on the show organizers. But, as Jerry says, you get better responses from dealers if you are polite and curtious. They get tired from hearing people putting down their guns. I am an easy going sort of guy and I joke with the dealers and talk to them. Sometimes I get the deal that I am trying for because of it. But if I want a gun I try to set a mood in the negotiations. If the mood is right and the negotiations are relaxed, then just about anything can happen. But don't try it on the big name dealers or on the wives who are helping their husbands at the tables. It won't work. These women are harder to deal with than getting change for a dollar from a MacDonalds hamburger cashier.

Big Norm