LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-26-2002, 09:57 PM   #1
Roadkill
User

Default Trading Advice(long)

Hey ya'll, Been thinking. I just got in from coyoye hunting(hope the pack sounds as good with its tenor gone) and thought that there is a lot of gun trading experience in this group. Let's pass some around. There are some folks who are new to this and if only a few offer their "rules of the guntrade game" they could save a lot of aggravation, wasted money, and disappointment. Here are a couple of mine:

1. Focus on an area. It took me 20+ years before I concentrated on military. Should have done it in the beginning. Wasted a lot of $ on others.

2. Take a gun outside in the light where you can really see it before buying.

3. Have cash when ready to buy, always offer less.

Most dealers will take off $25-50 if $ is there.

4. Keep a trade gun handy. Helps shift deal from what they are selling to what you have, also most sellers want something new to play with.

5. Don't be shy. Point out flaws in gun. Don't have to ne a jerk, but its your $.

Roadkill

Unread 04-26-2002, 11:02 PM   #2
Brandon Metcalf

Default Re: Trading Advice(long)

You Got it Roadkill, The Best tips I've heard! By the way did you see your Armadillo while you were out hunting?

Brandon

Unread 04-27-2002, 12:12 AM   #3
Johnny Peppers
User

I doubt that you will find a dealer at a gunshow that will let you take a pistol outside on approval, so spend $8 on a Mini-Maglite. It will show up the oxidation (or lack of it) under the blueing. Next best thing to the sun, and better on a rainy day.

Unread 04-27-2002, 12:14 AM   #4
Johnny Peppers
User

I doubt that you will find a dealer at a gunshow that will let you take a pistol outside on approval, so spend $8 on a Mini-Maglite. It will show up the oxidation, or lack of it, under the blueing. Next best thing to the sun, and better on a rainy day.

Unread 04-27-2002, 12:18 AM   #5
Johnny Peppers
User

Sorry for the double post, but got an error message on the first one.

Unread 04-27-2002, 02:06 AM   #6
Hugh
RIP

Always make your first offer less than you are willing to pay. You can always go up, but never down!

Unread 04-27-2002, 02:25 AM   #7
Hugh
RIP

Default Roadkill.....

In case you forgot, here's what an Armadillo looks like!

http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/arm2a.jpg
Unread 04-27-2002, 10:29 AM   #8
Roadkill
User

Default Re: Roadkill.....

Just got in from coyote hunting, would ya'll kinda let that one go? Its bad enough all the damn yankees & furrriners we got to put up with down here but they don't bother me too much cause I'm in the woods all the time. But this gladiator possoum thing is serious. Can they swim? What in the hell would you do with one on a line? And what about my hound dog Buster? If he'll attack a truck and really think he can catch it what's he going to think when he ties up with one of these things? He won't quit cause he knows I'll kick his ass if he loses a critter. Its really going to cause me some problems.

Roadkill

Unread 04-27-2002, 11:01 AM   #9
Thor
User

Watch out if you find them on a hill, just when you are about to fire, they will roll up in a ball and simply roll away. Like trying to hit a rapidly rolling, bouncing basket ball. Dem R tricky lil devils! Thor

Unread 04-27-2002, 12:58 PM   #10
bh

hugh,,,,that's the most photogenic dillow i ever saw!!!! mucho beer to settle his nerves???

Unread 04-27-2002, 04:00 PM   #11
Hugh
RIP

Default 'Dillo photos

That sucker consumed a whole 6 pak of Lone Star before he would stand still long enough for me to shoot his picture. I think he was kinda nervous caus I usually got my 'dillo gun instead of a camera in my hand.

Unread 04-27-2002, 10:47 PM   #12
Art Buchanan

Surely you guys know the golden rule of tradeing of any kind---" Do unto him as he will do unto you--only you do it first" Does anyone here own anything except shooter Lugers? Or is everyone here running around with Surgeons glasses, MRIs, Xray machines and DNA equipment while afraid to buy anything because it might be fake?? [even if they had the cash] I am surprised that there is not a big worry that someone has a crown N proof stamp and is reworking Russian imports into fake 1920 commercials with .30 cal barrels and selling them for $1000 to poor unspecting guy who does not have the benefit of all the self appointed experts and their perceived sofisticated methods to detect fakes. I have been on both sides of the table in past 40 years. There are always the guys going around fingering everything and telling the owner what he thinks is wrong with a Luger,[and in front of all who will listen] and never buys anything. My personal policy and behavior at a show is "If you don't have the money and ain't buying it---keep Damn mouth shut" I have trouble feeling sorry for wheeler dealer guys, who are more interested in the profit part of Lugers than their beauty, that whine and cry if they didn't know what they were buying.