LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-24-2002, 09:13 PM   #1
CETME
User

Default Newbie Help

What kind of Luger can I buy for $500-$600. I'm still very new to Lugers, and im looking for a "shooter" to start off with. It will be shot, and enjoyed, so i dont want anything too collectable for my first time. Dont want to make any mistakes and a nice collector. What condition "shooter" can i get for that price? ideas? advice? thanks in advance guys!

also, what luger books do you recommend?

Lars

Unread 04-24-2002, 09:59 PM   #2
TheRomanhistorian
User

Default Re: Newbie Help

Hello there Lars!

I got a nice shooter Luger for $570 at a local pawnshop when I turned 21 (about 2 weeks or so ago). Mine's a mismatched gun with a date of 1921 and it's in pretty good condition. The only problem with it is that it is entirely too much fun to shoot. Depends though on where you live, I live in Idaho and I have seen a total of 3 Lugers in my life so far and all three have been in pawnshops... Just look around and hopefully you can find one, or as I have heard talk to either Tom Heller or Ralph Shattuck among others (I would have gone through them but I was in the pawn shop, saw the Luger and had to have it right then and there...an impulse buy I do not regret.)

Michael Ng

Unread 04-24-2002, 10:05 PM   #3
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Good Advice, Michael :) (EOM)

Unread 04-24-2002, 10:54 PM   #4
Brandon Metcalf

Lars,I'd go wit Jan C. Still's books the complete set (around $120.00). Imperial Lugers,Wiemar & early Nazi Lugers,and Third Reich Lugers! Should be some good reading! Might also want to pick up titles by Fred Datig,and Charles Kenyon. Hope this helps!

Best Regards,Brandon

Unread 04-24-2002, 10:57 PM   #5
Roadkill
User

Don't pass up the internet. Type in luger and start reading. Lots of repetitive info but a great place to start.

Roadkill

Unread 04-24-2002, 11:01 PM   #6
Orv Reichert
RIP

Default Books

Still's books are essential!

Then get LUGERS AT RANDOM

And [for $25] the STANDARD CATALOG OF MILITARY FIREARMS [a paperback published by the 'Gunlist'] which will help you identify and price them.

Keep on buying books...they will save you money in the long run!

Orv Reichert

PS..I am a contributing editor to the Standard Catalogs but I would suggest them even if I were not involved!

Unread 04-24-2002, 11:20 PM   #7
CETME
User

Mike,

I'm in the same boat as you.... turned 21 nearly 3 months ago. I would have done the same thing as you!

I've scoured the Pawnshops here in Tallahassee, FL... and i havent found much. I'm thinking by the time i get some money, someone on this board will have one they want to get rid of! =)

Unread 04-24-2002, 11:27 PM   #8
Roadkill
User

Let the pawnshops know you are interested. Tell them what you want. Visit often. Leave your name & number. They pass up a lot of guns because they don't want to sit on them. For a while a few years ago pawn shops were calling me and my wife at work when something came in. She put a stop to that.

Roadkill

Unread 04-25-2002, 12:08 AM   #9

Be sure and attend the gun shows in your area. There is a lot of stuff there (usually a number of Lugers) and it's easily examined and compared. That's where I got my 1936 shooter a month or so ago (nice with matching numbers, but reblued).

Unread 04-25-2002, 11:42 AM   #10
1958 vetteman

Also look on www.gunbroker.com, they have an import marked shooter on there now with a starting bid of $350.00. All you have to do is type luger into the search box and you are all set. Another good website ia www.auctionarms.com. I hope this helps. Phil

Unread 04-25-2002, 06:44 PM   #11
dsk

Default I'll second that.....

Pawnshops see an unbelieveable amount and variety of good come in and out of their stores. If you leave your info with some of the better ones you're bound to receive a call. I have the local ones here keeping tabs on nice old 1911s for me.