LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-20-2002, 05:12 PM   #1
Art Buchanan

Default Revisit Baby Lugers

I expect this thread is worn thin, however I want to shed a bit of light on the subject. I have personally handled 2 of the known GL babies. I saw the Bulgarian shown in Kenyon long before he knew it existed. The second was some months ago in Bob Simpson's shop. Both of course have the GL on rear toggle. In effect the grip frame was shortened by one cartridge. A section is removed from the grip equal to one cartridge and frame is silver soldered back together. The original barrel was shortened by length of the sight band with the band sleeved back on to the barrel. Solder joints are visable on grip and barrel behind sight band. Grips were originals with center section removed and joined by a dovetail type joint that is invisable from the outside. The magazines appear to be manufactured short or at least not shortened from the bottom. My babies are made about same. It is possible to remove section of frame and it will fit back together without any recontour of the metal. I used silver solder on first one or two. After many rounds fired one developed a crack in solder. Since then I weld front and back straps[The old fashioned way-- acetylene torch] I rework original or repro grips differently which requires a short splice in bottom of checkering line. I shorten clips [sorry it may not be politicaly correct--but 40 years ago they were clips] on bottom. A standard mag works fine---it just protroudes from the bottom of frame. These babies don't just fall together of course and considerable time is envolved. The worst difficulty I sometimes encounter is that guys want to use a Luger that also requires hours of restoration. I have made a couple of the little short barrels like Martz babies because owners want them that way. The real McCoys were just short by distance of sight band. I will forward to John some photos and a scan of one currently under construction that he may post for me if he wants.

Unread 04-20-2002, 05:21 PM   #2
Art Buchanan

Default Re: Revisit Baby Lugers

A post script: I have added and original[altered of course] qrip safety to one baby. I forgot to take photo after it was finished. I will forward only photo which shows baby before final finish and blue.

Unread 04-20-2002, 05:22 PM   #3
Thor
User

Thanks Art! Thor

Ted's Luger Strawing Service
Unread 04-20-2002, 05:30 PM   #4
Art Buchanan

Thank you Thor. Now I have a problem----I forgot which John volunteered to post photos for me. Would you email me direct. Thanks John----

Unread 04-20-2002, 06:44 PM   #5
Johnny Peppers
User

Art,

Are you talking about the "Baby" or the seven shot? Was the Luger at Simpson's in the 10000 prototype range, maybe 10075?

Unread 04-21-2002, 04:03 PM   #6
Art Buchanan

It seems that we use the term "Baby' rather loosely. The two original Lugers I have seen and ones I make are probably more appropriately called 7 shot conversions. The 2 originals I have seen had the GL on rear toggle and I believe were in the 10,000 range. The Bulgarian is pictured in The Multi-National Pistol by Kenyon. The one at Simpsons was pictured on front of one of his lists last year. Perhaps the true "Baby" is the 1/2 size .380 pictured in Lugers at Random. This baby first appeared in print and pictures in the Sept. 1962 issue of Shooting times. I still have the article. I have seen another seven shot conversion by person unknown that had a straight front strap like 29 Swiss. Looked ugly to me and surely required more work. I have a conversion about complete on which the owner wants bl. left full length and leave the stock lug. I have more photos to post here if someone will let me email to them and they post. As I posted earlier---I call my Babies Lady Manchester conversions and they are so marked on frame under grip.

Unread 04-22-2002, 11:53 AM   #7
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Art, I am the John who volunteered, :)

(I didn't learn not to do that after 20 years in the Army ) I would be glad to post them for you, but may I suggest you try one more time, after you read my post from 10:45 AM today on why your previous Baby Luger photo didn't post.

I think you can handle this, but would certainly be available for help if it still give you trouble.

regards,

John Sabato