LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-18-2002, 11:01 AM   #1
TIMOTHY CANNEY

Default OT: Broom Handle Mauser

I have a Broomhandle Mauser, Red 9. My question is that did some of the early stocks not have the Mauser banner? And did they come with only part of the matching serial number to the gun on the stock iron. Mine appears matching, but only has three numbers of the gun that match on the stock.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Please E-Mail me with any information.

Best Regards,

Tim Canney

Unread 04-18-2002, 11:38 AM   #2
Dok
RIP

Default OT: Love them Broom Handle Mausers... :) (EOM)

Unread 04-18-2002, 11:49 AM   #3
tom
User

Default Re: OT: Broom Handle Mauser

Hi Tim,

The correct stock for a *real* military Red 9 would have the last three digits of the SN stamped across the top of the yoke at a right angle to the long axis of the yoke and the wood would have an Imperial proof pressed into the wood. The mauser banner on stocks did not start appearing until the 1930s.

Having written this, let me also state that there are so many variants to C96 configuration and serial numbering that there is almost nothing one can say about 'brooms that doesn't have an exception.

I collected 'brooms for 30 years and never ceased to be amazed at all of the varieties that I came across. An endless assortment of neat toys.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Unread 04-18-2002, 01:20 PM   #4
Dok
RIP

Default well I guess i know who to ask... :)

when I need advice when I purchase my first!!!

Dok

Unread 04-18-2002, 04:36 PM   #5
Marney Walsh

Default A word of caution

Broomhandles are nice to collect, because they are so beautiful in an ugly sort of way. However, IMO they are constructed of significantly softer steel than Lugers, and cannot withstand regular shooting with standard loads, especially in 9mm caliber. Frames and other parts tend to crack, and the last part I broke was the locking block, which seemed to be made of pot metal, and this happened while shooting mild reloads. Furthermore, shooting one with a stock attached is very hard on ones knuckles, as the hammer comes back dangerously far. Lastly, these guns have a reputation for bolt retainers letting go and sending the bolt flying back into the shooter's face. Definitely not a safe gun to shoot.

Unread 04-18-2002, 04:40 PM   #6
Thor
User

Default Re: A word of caution

Marney, Kyrie had mentioned this before, thanks for confirming this potential problem! ~Thor~

Ted's Luger Strawing Service
Unread 04-18-2002, 04:56 PM   #7
tom
User

As a matter of practice, I always replaced the original bolt stop with a modern production one whenever shooting a broom; gave me much less pucker factor and saved the original serial numbered one from possible damage.

A word of caution. Do not shoot 7.62 Tokarev fodder in a broom. It is generally too hot and the Tok ammo that was loaded for the ppsh SMG is *really* hot. tends to beat a broom to death pretty quickly.

When using the stock, ALWAYS wear a glove on the trigger pulling hand and eye protection; some strange things can happen and you want the odds on your side.

Hope this helps..

Tom

Unread 04-18-2002, 05:40 PM   #8
Johnny Peppers
User

I have a Red Nine here right now that belongs to a friend. It has had the barrel cut back, the adjustable sight replaced with the fixed sight, and the 1920 property mark applied. The left side of the chamber area has a C/U and the right side has what appears to be E/SU4. The front grip strap is marked S.G.IV.

Unread 04-18-2002, 06:32 PM   #9
tom
User

You have a Military version modified in accordance with the Versailles Treaty by Simpson and used by the Schupo of Gumbingen.

Tom

Unread 04-18-2002, 06:36 PM   #10
Kyrie
User

Hi Marney!

My experience with the C96 has been quite different from yours. In my experience C96â??s are every bit as well made and strong as a Luger. That said, problems can develop with a C96 is it isnâ??t kept in repair, or if it has been in the PRC and has Chinese parts.

Warm regards,

Kyrie

Unread 04-18-2002, 07:01 PM   #11
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

Kyrie; your information is the same that was given to me from Jim atMentor Arms. He said the ones with all German parts were just as safe as a Luger. To bad he retired as he did GREAT work!!

Lonnie

Unread 04-18-2002, 09:17 PM   #12
Steve
User

Default Tokarev ammo

I had an ammo dealer try to tell me that the new Tokarev ammo is loaded so that it is safe in a Mauser. I did not believe him or buy any of his ammo.

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/revie...ger_review.htm
Unread 04-18-2002, 09:36 PM   #13
Kyrie
User

Default Re: Tokarev ammo

Hi Steve,

He was giving you the straight scoop. In short the Soviets adopted the 7.63x25 Mauser in 1929, under the name â??7.62 Tokarev Pistol.â? There is no significant difference between Soviet 7.62x25 and 7.63 Mauser. I have a longer answer if anyone is interested

That said, I do not recommend firing any of the currently available 7.62x25 milsurp ammunition in a C96. I also donâ??t recommend firing this ammunition in *any* firearm. From what Iâ??ve seen all this ammunition is badly overage and/or has been subject to poor storage, and is so degraded that is it simply unsafe to fire. The reason we are seeing it on the surplus market is the countries selling it recognize it being in too poor condition to even be used in training :-(

Best regards,

Kyrie

Unread 04-18-2002, 10:33 PM   #14
Dok
RIP

Default OK, OK... I'm convinced... :(

I'll save my pennies and buy something else as a shooter... can't have a gun and NOT shoot it constantly.

Dok

Unread 04-18-2002, 11:09 PM   #15
Brandon Metcalf

Default You sound like me Dok!

Whenever I get a new gun I always say this one is a collectors grade gun I can't shoot it! But I always end up shooting it sooner or later! I always think to myself I've got to stop doing that!!!!!

Brandon

Unread 04-19-2002, 12:19 AM   #16

Default If it won't shoot, out it goes! (EOM)

Unread 04-19-2002, 12:24 AM   #17
Kyrie
User

Default Re: If it won't shoot, out it goes!

Hi Guys!

Wait until you reach the point you have so many firearms that you could shoot one a day every day of the year and still not be able to shoot them all in a year. Thatâ??s when you suddenly realize youâ??re a collector, an accumulator, or both

Best regards,

Kyrie

Unread 04-19-2002, 12:36 AM   #18
Thor
User

Default Re: If it won't shoot, out it goes!

I have a 4" S&W Model 57 41 MAgnum I bought in 99% condition and had planned to fire it at least once three years ago, it sure looks nice. Still hasnt happened! I got to shoot two P.38s this week, great guns! When you get lots of handguns, even if you shoot them, if you recycle every outing you dont shoot each one too much! Kinda like having multiple wives, lol (OUCH!.....that hurt Natalie!!) a Sore Thor

Ted's Luger Strawing Service
Unread 04-19-2002, 09:10 AM   #19
Brandon Metcalf

Default Sore Thor

Man you shouldn't have said that! It'll be the Dog house for you (kidding of course)!!

Brandon

Unread 04-19-2002, 09:32 AM   #20
unspellable
User

Default Re: Tokarev ammo

There are differences. The first thing the soviets did was to make a slight change in bullet and barrel diameter so as to use the same set of gauges for both pistol and rifle. The second item is that the Tokarov has a longer head space (Shoulder is further forward) and a shorter neck. You will find examples of Tokarov ammo that will not chamber in a a particular Broomhandle.

When reloading the Tokarov you can resize with a 7.63 Mauser die that has been slightly backed out. Use a 30 Luger seating die to accomodate the shorter neck. Use 7.63 Mauser data and intitially back off a couple tenths for the powder charge if you are using the heavier Tokarov weight bullet.

Fiocchi loads the 7.63 Mauser cartridge. There is a small American ammo outfit loading it. S&B and Winchester both load the 7.62 Tokarov. So there are nice modern fresh commercial boxer primed non-corrosive factory loads for both. In fact I jsut bought two boxes of the Winchester stuff at cheap prices!

The genuine Mauser made broomhandle will take an ungodly amount of pressure. The problem is that with high usage of hot loads the slide recoil speed will batter down the corners on the locking lug. Fiocchi has a reputation for mild loads so they ought to be OK for those who want to go easy on their broomhandle. I see absolutely no problem with shooting the broomhandle given the usual, "Is it in good condition?"

Before shooting your broomhandle make sure the recoil spring and the locking block are up to snuff. Look for rounded corners on the locking lugs.

I have no idea about the quality of the various broomhandle knockoffs.

unspellable