LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-14-2002, 10:54 PM   #1
Thor
User

Default Mauser Bluing 1934-1937

I have seen several earlier references, one by the B.A. Lafferty and another by Harry Jones, saying that even the earlier Mauser Lugers were salt or immersion blued and the higher polish on these Lugers caused collectors to believe they were rust blued because of the color. Jan Still says all these were rust blued. I dont have any pre 38, post 1923 Luger that have the original finish to look at. Any thoughts either way. If the early ones were immersion blued, most of them had the bluing removed on the internal parts of the frame and receiver. Lafferty goes on to say all the post 37 Lugers had blued muzzles (not polished white steel) which pretty much agrees with a consensus we had here at the forum after long discussions. Thor

Ted's Luger Strawing Service
Unread 04-14-2002, 11:49 PM   #2
BCC

Default Re: Mauser Bluing 1934-1937

You may or may not remember that I raised this question on the forum about 2 to 3 years ago. We discussed the same references you have cited and I supose cam to no conclusion...at least I have not. I have noted in 30+ years of looking at Lugers, the pre-30's examples tend to show less outright blue wear on the side plates and left muzzel areas than most of the Mauser examples I have seen (even pre-mid 37 examples). Could this be attributed to the use of salt blue on all Mausers? What other explanition can one offer? On the other hand, I have an early 1936, S/42 with a beautiful irridesant (sp?) BLUE finish (absolutly original). This is even more apparent when viewed in a strong light. I always thought that the rust blue was more blue (like this 36) and the salt blue tended to be "blacker"...Ted you are the finish expert, help us out here.

Unread 04-14-2002, 11:58 PM   #3
Thor
User

BCC, I have CRS (Cant remember stuff) lol. Salt bluing is a darker black color and rust blue is a grayer blue color but what I am seeing now doing my own salt bluing is the higher polish you put on the metal, the bluer the salt blue looks in some light at least on a couple of commercial looking High polish P.38s. Yes, rust blue certainly is more resistant to wear and that would explain the sideplate and muzzle side wear you spoke of. I am still learning and doing so, I keep asking these puzzling questions as you have. I wish I had some examples to look at, that would help me make up my mind. Thor

Unread 04-15-2002, 03:31 AM   #4
BCC

All true points Ted (except maybe your CRS!). These high polish is truly a factor. As I'm sure you know, one reason the finish is so black on a "blackwidow" is that the metal surface is not as finely polished as earlier Lugers. One can compare the surface of about any excellent byf and see that it is not as polished as as 39 or earlier...maybe even a 1940 dated. I am interested in knowing (without dragging out my Lugers and checking...lazy) if the inside of the sideplate is darkened on a rust blued luger and/or are there any other tell-tale signs of where the rust blue would not have reached, (as opposed to being polished bright later)?

Unread 04-15-2002, 07:04 AM   #5
Luke
User

Default OTS - Salt Bluing

Were the high-polish Walther PPK pistols salt blued?

Unread 04-15-2002, 08:18 AM   #6
Marvin
User

Default Re: OTS - Salt Bluing

Luke,

According to Deiter Marschall, all Walther PP & PPK pistols were salt blued. Whatever they used, they sure did a beautiful job on the pre-war pistols.

Marvin

Unread 04-15-2002, 08:37 AM   #7
Tom Heller

Ted, IMO the pre-mid 1937 Mausers were rust blued. Try the "stainless steel brush" test. When removing some active rust or patinal on a rust blued luger, the brush will not scratch a rust blue, but will leave scratch marks on salt blue. Tom h.

Unread 04-15-2002, 10:14 AM   #8
Thor
User

I can confirm what Marvin told you Luke, Dieter answered me the same way Marvin said, all salt blued but he went on to say the salts contained an ingredient that is not obtainable today, I dont know if he was talking about cyanide or not but I see it mentioned occassionaly when people talk about old formulas. Anybody using this would be a nut IMO, you are just asking for health problems if you could get ahold of it and used it. Thor

Unread 04-15-2002, 12:17 PM   #9
Luke
User

Default Whatever they used, it is a beautiful finish. (EOM)

Unread 04-15-2002, 06:10 PM   #10
Kyrie
User

Hi Folks!

Itâ??s been my experience that all Mauser model 1914â??s and C96â??s were rust blued. Early Model 1934â??s were rust blued - Iâ??ve seen a few late Model 1934â??s that might have been (originally) salt blued. All the Mauser HSc pistols Iâ??ve seen have been hot salt blued.

Iâ??d take all this to mean Mauser switched over from rust to hot salt blue after the completion of the production of the Model 1914 and C96, and before the beginning of production of the HSc - possibly during the production of the Model 1934.

Best regards,

Kyrie

Moderator - Cruffler_Forum on Yahoo Groups

"The flame free C&R Forum."