LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-13-2002, 05:54 PM   #1
drbuster
User

Default MARTZ BABY LUGER

A "John Martz" baby luger has become available to me. It has a 2" barrel, l937,S/42. Is this a post war rebarelled rework. It's not in Kenyon's book. Any info out there on this?

Unread 04-13-2002, 06:09 PM   #2
Dan Clemons
User

Default Re: MARTZ BABY LUGER

Just saw one on GunsAmerica for sale. I think the asking price was $2,500. It's a pretty gun alright. I have to ask myself what are you really buying? Is a shorter barrel really worth $2,500 to $3,000. For that much mooolaaa, you can purchase a mint original. Which will be worth more in the long run?

My 2 cents,

Dan

Unread 04-13-2002, 06:54 PM   #3
Thor
User

Ralph Shattuck had a 3" Barrel or there abouts, S/42 1937 when we visited in March, that one a blued version! There is one shown in the owners corner of this website under the name Ralph Smith, this one is basically in the white. And man check out that Navy rear sight, there are Navy shooters all over the country that would LOVE to have that sight! Of course you need the proper barrel with a higher front sight block to use the real Navy rear sight! Thor

http://www.lugerforum.com/owner_gall...er2/martz1.jpg
Unread 04-13-2002, 06:58 PM   #4
Brandon Metcalf

Man that is Pretty!!! I wouldn't mind having a couple of those!!!

Unread 04-13-2002, 07:01 PM   #5
Thor
User

I am told Hugh Clark makes Baby Lugers too, but that MIGHT just be a rumour! hahaha

http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/baby2lt.jpg
Unread 04-13-2002, 07:04 PM   #6
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts

Hello Herbert! The John V. Martz pistols are original Luger pistols (usually missmatch) that have been modified by John, into baby Lugers, .45's, 38 supers, and carbines..... They are as functional as they are pretty....the pistols he has turned out over the last three decades, have appeal to collectors as well those who appreciate art.....His works are all similar, but each is uniquely different, as all the non-standard parts are hand made to exacting standards, by his team of skilled craftsman..... The quality of a pistol turned out by J.V.M. is top notch....and most likely the work done on them, is performed by the best craftsmen of the time! They will appreciate, maybe on a different level, then the originals, but they will certainly gain! Till....later....G.T.

Unread 04-13-2002, 07:04 PM   #7
Thor
User

Actually he is working on #3 right now, my Reichadler Baby Luger, with accompanying custom buckskin color hardshell EXCELLENT ++ holster and my Reichadler marked custom case by Dok for cool ensemble. Thor

Unread 04-13-2002, 07:09 PM   #8
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

There has been one for sale at the last few Portland gun shows for $2.8k, no takers so far.

Its not just a shorter barrel, the frame is shortened as well; it feels really odd in the hand. John Martz is a highly respected Luger craftsman, who has produced a number of modified Luger variations including a legendary .45 variant.

These reworks may be of little interest to those who primarily collect pristine original Lugers. Others (like myself) might find them an interesting inclusion in a generalized collection.

John Martz's guns already command a high price. It is a regrettable human reality that when Mr. Martz ultimately passes from our community the dollar value of his work will skyrocket.

--Dwight

Unread 04-13-2002, 07:16 PM   #9
drbuster
User

Dear G.T. Thanks for the info, appeciate it very much

Unread 04-13-2002, 08:12 PM   #10
Orv Reichert
RIP

Default J v Martz

And, he is one of the finest gentlemen I have ever met!

Orv Reichert

Unread 04-13-2002, 08:47 PM   #11
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default I'll second that Orv!.... (EOM)

Unread 04-13-2002, 11:35 PM   #12
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,095 Times in 1,425 Posts
Default Re: Would make a nice watch fob! (EOM)

Unread 04-14-2002, 12:36 PM   #13
Art Buchanan

My name is not Martz but have been building baby Lugers from time to time for more than 10 years. Currently about to start #12. I have built a couple of the little short bl jobs--others are all authentic shortened bls as were the 2 originals that I have examined. I do not get the $s that Martz gets. A collector who has seen my babies has also seen the Martz jobs---tells me mine are better[my turn to bring and brag] No--I am not looking for work!

Unread 04-14-2002, 06:10 PM   #14
tom
User

Default Art Does GREAT work

Comissioned Art Buchannan to do a Baby Luger as a gift for my daughter a couple years ago. The results were stunning. Form, fit and function were excellent in every respect and the gold inlay that was done by Bill Adair (the only guy in the world slower than Art) was likewise beautiful.

Tom

Unread 04-14-2002, 08:07 PM   #15
Marilyn

I also own a Baby Luger produred by Arthur Buchanan. My Baby is #2. Rebarreled to a 9mm and shortened to 2 1/2 in. It was made from a 1920 Comm'l. It is a six shot with a gold tip front sight. It has the original grips which Art cut done and recheckered to fit the shorten grip. The only thing lacking is the Martz safety device. I've punched many holes in beer cans (empties) with this Baby. She likes WIN's 115's and I have never had a jam. The accuracy on this Baby is fantastic. Art's workmanship is flawless. This 1920 was pitted, had rounded metal edges and the grips only had faint lines of checkering. He removed all traces of pitting, sharpened all the metal edges, sized and recheckered the grips and restrawed all the correct parts. Bill Adair of TX did the rust blue and the custom ingraving. Thanks again Art.

Unread 04-14-2002, 11:51 PM   #16
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Re: Art does great work.....I agree!

Hi to all , althougth I have never seen any of Arts work in person, I've never heard anything but good about his creations....He has impecabile credentials, and all who have had contact with him, certainly appreciate his work.... I would have no qualms about accepting a baby made by him...The best to you Art, and best of luck with your future ventures....till...later...G.T.

Unread 04-15-2002, 12:20 AM   #17
Big Norm
RIP

I agree with Dan Clements. But I want to strech it a bit more. Why would anyone put a navy sight on a short barreled Luger? Not putting down Arts work but the Martz guns do have the unique safety. I would like to see a picture of the shortened frame along side of a regular frame so I can see what was done.

Big Norm

Unread 04-15-2002, 12:24 AM   #18
Big Norm
RIP

Sorry Dan,

I ment to say that I agree with Dan Clemons. Old fat fingers Norm is at it again.

Big Norm

Unread 04-15-2002, 09:11 AM   #19
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default OKAY ART! A dozen babies and NO photos? Please

at least share some photos with the forum!

regards,

John Sabato

Unread 04-15-2002, 09:15 AM   #20
Thor
User

Default Re: OKAY ART! A dozen babies and NO photos? Please

I have a photo of one of Art's babies but would only post it with his permission of course! Thor

Ted's Luger Strawing Service