LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 02-27-2001, 12:25 PM   #1
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Leather holster and accessory storage

Since the influx of new members has made this a thriving site, I suggest that we re-open the discussion on the cleaning and storage of leather accessories that took place just before the movement of our site from Taiwan.

Since all original holsters and accessories are at least 50 years old, the method of preservation is becoming critical in order to make these items survive for another 50 years.

We have a wealth of knowledge on this forum, and hopefully with all this new blood, we can come to a consensus on the best methods to preserve finish and flexability of these antiques. The results can then be posted in the FAQ?

I have little expertise in this area and welcome anyone who does to comment on how to preserve these precious items. My only knowledge is that neetsfoot oil will keep leather pliable, but in the case of hardshell holsters, the only items that should be pliable are the belt loops, the closure straps, the tool pouch, and the flap cover hinge.

I possess an original German belt and buckle that came with the holster from my vet bring back byf 41, but the belt is dry enough that I would never attempt to use it even if it fit me (not to mention that it is several inches too short to go around my girth).

Ladies and Gentlemen, Those of you who know how, please tell us how to preserve these items for my heirs.

-Thanks, John

Unread 02-27-2001, 03:37 PM   #2
jason
User

Default Re: Leather holster and accessory storage

John,

I just posted my first question here yesterday and have gotten some very useful information. I believe you answered a question for me about holster storage. I've never had to preserve a Luger holster before, but have gotten some advice from a Civil War buff on leather preservation.

All his Civil War leather goods have almost an extra 100 years of age on any WWII stuff.

He cautioned me to steer clear of Neatsfoot oil. He said long term, it will cause leather to rot. He strongly recommended a product called Pecard's Leather Treatment. I've since used Pecard's on the couple of Civil War leather items that I have.

Not undoing buckle and strap is another good idea to preserve that part of the holster.

Since I'm new here, I'll allow other members to either add to or dispute my input.

Jason

Unread 02-27-2001, 03:43 PM   #3
Marvin Cook

Jason,

I agree with you on the Pecards taht it is one of the best going for preservation. I use Lexol and have had good results from it over the years. The biggest thing on leather is to use a conditioner very sparingly and just enough to provide a little nourishment to the leather.

The biggest enemy of leather is ultraviolet light, the sun! Also they should be kept in as low a humidity as possible.

I also recommend that a 1/4" dia roll of acid free paper or bubble wrap be placed behind the belp loop so it will keep it's shape. I also place some bubble wrap inside the holster. Don't keep the pistol in the holster, this is detremental to the pistol and the holster.

Marvin

Unread 02-27-2001, 04:01 PM   #4
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Jason, Good Advice :)

Depending upon what you are trying to do. If your leather item is just dirty, I use Saddle Soap (sparingly). If you are trying to soften leather or repair extremely dry leather, I use Pecard's Shoe Oil. I WOULDN'T USE THIS SHOE OIL ON HOLSTERS!!! If you use this on Luger Holsters it will make them too plyable. For Luger Holsters, the most part, I would recommend Pecard's Antique Leather Dressing and again use it sparingly.

Unread 02-27-2001, 05:35 PM   #5
bob
User

Default Re: Lexol over Pecards :)

I have used all of the treatments listed here and I have found that Lexol Cleans, Preserves and replaces natural oils in the leather.

As for Pecards its just as good BUT it will change the colour of light (tan and natural) unstained leathers. It will also seal the leather so that it can not 'Breathe' which is not good.

and for my $0.02 Neatsfoot oil has a natural acid in it and will ruin a good piece of leather.

Unread 02-27-2001, 05:41 PM   #6
tom heller

Default Re: Jason, Good Advice :)

I too have used both Lexol & Pecard with good results on dark leather. It will darken a tan holster, so don't use there. One other quicker cleaning product that you might want to consider is Ballistol in the spray can. It is recommended for almost everything including wood, metals, leather, plastics, rubber & plants.

Unread 02-27-2001, 07:52 PM   #7
Johnny Peppers
User

Just my experience, but I used Lexol on a beautiful but extremely dry holster for a 1917 revolver. Lexol apparently has a water base and the holster soaked it up like a sponge. After the holster dried, it was mottled looking and brittle.

Pecards will initially make the leather darker, but as it soaks in the leather will lighten back up.

Unread 02-27-2001, 08:00 PM   #8
Marvin
User

Johnny,

I have used Lexol for years and never experienced the problem you describe. I know it is water based and that is not good for leather, but I have thought about this and feel that the holster was in the rain at some time in it's life and got soaking wet. The water should evaporate pretty quick and leave the conditioner. The water in Lexol is the carrier. I use Lexol very sparingly and once in a while I may apply a second coat the next day. That is the maximum I go is two coats. Do you use Pecards exclusivly?

marvin

Unread 02-27-2001, 09:37 PM   #9
bob
User

Default Re: Lexol over Pecards :D

Johnny,

I too have been using Lexol for 10 years now and have never had that kind of Bad luck with it!!!

Pecards is just as good, but I will stick with Lexol (Just used to it now!)

Anything that helps, Works with me.....as long as it saves our leather items for the future!

Unread 02-27-2001, 10:40 PM   #10
Johnny Peppers
User

Marvin,

At one time or another I have tried everything out there for leather restoration and preservation. I settled on Pecards about twenty years ago and use it exclusively.

Lexol may do a great job on leather that still has some life in it, but from experience I would not recommend it on extremely dry leather. Counting holsters, mag pouches, knife sheaths, and slings I probably have around a 100 pieces of leather that has been treated with the Pecards with no bad results. Most date between 50 and 100 years old with a few going back even farther.

Unread 02-27-2001, 10:45 PM   #11
Milt Keller
User

Marvin,

Thanks for the "bubblewrap"idea. I keep my Lugers in a heavy plastic bag in their respective holsters. The extra mags are wrapped in Seran wrap, and so are the loading tools. I like having the lugers all together, each in their own holster with tool and extra mag.

Unread 02-27-2001, 11:33 PM   #12
bob
User

I have used Lanolin Anhydrous U.S.P. I get it from my Druggist.

It is similar to Pecard in texture but is used as a neutral non-irritating base for ointments and creams. Also useful as an aid to chapped skin etc. So while you are treating your holsters you also get nice hands for caressing the wife Ha . A 0ne pound jar sells for around $10. I have used it for years with good results. Like everyting else you have to work with it but it has not discolored my holsters. Have also use Leather Balm made by Kiwi for fine womens shoes and purses as a cleaner. Tried Hyde food used on Jaguar (the car) as a leather cleaner , expensive but this will take off the ink stamps as well as dirt. When buying the lanolin from the druggist make sure you don't get the water based one.

Unread 02-28-2001, 05:03 AM   #13
dave_j
User

'Hydrophane' leather dressing is hard to beat, if you can get it over there! Its available here at most saddlery shops

great for belts/dog collars etc. On formed cases maybe use 'Joseph Lyddy, Dubbin' if you can get it!

Cheers,Dave

Unread 02-28-2001, 06:38 AM   #14
Marvin Cook

Milt,

I also do the same thing with the loading tools and my spare magazines, but I keep my pistols mounted on the wall of the vault so I can look at them when I go in. The Saran wrap protects both the holster and the mag/tool. I use RIG on the tool and magazine before wrapping and storing. By keeping the items in the holster, I feel they keep the pouches from getting crushed.

Marvin

Unread 02-28-2001, 06:48 AM   #15
Marvin Cook

Johnny,

I have never used Pecards, but I have heard nothing but good things about it. I also agree that Lexol does not do the best on a dry piece of leather that is "flaking" from dry rot. maybe I need to buy some Pecards for this.

You know, we have not heard anything from the guys that say to use NOTHING on leather except a good brushing. Come on guys, let's hear something from anyone that thinks nothing should be applied.

marvin

Unread 02-28-2001, 03:21 PM   #16
EOC Bob
User

I have used neetsfoot oil (rendered animal fat)on my leather boots for many years, worked wonders in the snows of New Hampshire, but after comparing it to Lexol on a few of my ammo pouches, I find that lexol cleaner, followed by Lexol presevative works best and darkens leather least.