LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 10-30-2001, 07:26 PM   #1
Bart
User

Default Grip cleaning...

Within the FAQ's section, there is a method of cleaning wood grips, along with pictures (before & after) which look super. My question is, my Luger grips qualify to be cleaned using this method as they are NOT oil soaked but yet are dark on the outside and light colored on the inside. I would prefer to have them look like the "after" pictures and would enjoy cleaning them and applying boiled linseed in the manner described. Now for the question...Does this cleaning decrease the collector value of the piece? Should I just leave them alone to maintain the collector value? Having just paid a pretty penny from Ralph, I don't want to "de-value" my new collectable. The rest of the Luger doesnt look like it has been cleaned for some time, and neither does the holster. I guess I am sort of "gun-shy" (pardon the pun) to "clean it up".

I need some good advise and reassurance.

Thanks, Bart

Unread 10-31-2001, 03:18 PM   #2
Dok
RIP

Default I don't know of collecter value is affected...

I shouldn't think so, but one of the collecters should answer this one.

Dok

Unread 10-31-2001, 03:28 PM   #3
Thor
User

Default Re: I don't know of collecter value is affected...

This has been discussed before, I think you will get mixed answers, some say no problem, some say ANYTHING you do to an original pistols affects it's originality. When you remove the grime, you also remove its original finish and replacing it perhaps with the same type of finish. If they are really oil soaked around the edges and the outside you may actually make them look worse. If it is just surface grime like those in my FAQ cleaning tips you are okay! A bit of a gamble. If it is just grime on the outside of the wood you are stripping the covering, if it is oil INSIDE the wood, you wont be able to get it out and you will have that oil show up EVEN more as dark streaks. There are some products that bleach the wook or strip oil from the inside and I would NOT recommend using that on original grips unless it is on a shooter Luger, just MO. ~Thor~

Unread 10-31-2001, 04:19 PM   #4
Johnny Peppers
User

Right on target Ted. If the Luger is a collector grade, leave the grips alone except for a brushing to clean up the checkering. It is not unusual to see a really nice Luger that has had the grips lightly recut to sharpen up the corners of the checkering, but this too is frowned upon by most collectors. It is along the same lines of using just a little bit of cold blue to cover up a worn edge. Best to leave a nice pistol just as it is except for a thorough cleaning.

Unread 10-31-2001, 08:07 PM   #5
BILL
User

Good advice (the toothbrush) on how to clean up a collector grade Luger. One hears all kinds of 'home remedies' but a dry, soft bristle tooth brush is the best tool for 'dressing up' a collector grade Luger and not devaluing it. No steel wool, no detergents, no solvents, cleansers, cremes or polishes. If it is original then there is a patina to the metal, the wood and the leather that most serious collectors expect to see on an original grade Luger. Once it is removed it can't just be put back on.

Unread 10-31-2001, 08:52 PM   #6
Bart
User

Bill, so are you saying that I shouldn't use something like Clenzoil on the Luger? It is a 1914 DWM (all matched, 99% blue, ex straw, bought from Ralph to collect not shoot) that virtually has no lube or oil in it or on it. In fact, when you move the safety, it feels like metal on metal as there is no lubrication at all. I understand what is being said about the grips, and I have decided based on the advise in these posts, to just leave them alone. But, I just want to make sure I am understanding what you said, as your advise is to not put anything on it, or use anything but a dry soft brush, correct? This is my first Luger, and I just want to do the right thing. Any additional thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bart

Unread 10-31-2001, 08:56 PM   #7
Thor
User

Bart, use it on bluing and especially strawed parts! It will really help protect them and keep the gun from long storage in bright lights, it will fade strawing. SHattuck has low watt flourescents for his displays! DONT use it on wood. Avoid a heavy application (especially over the safety paint) A little bit will do ya! Thor