LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 07-09-2001, 02:42 PM   #21
Johnny Peppers
User

Default Re: NOW NOW GENTLE PEOPLE

I have a friend that is totally mechanically declined, and he had decided to collect the M1 Carbine. After buying several he decided that it was time to learn how to field strip the carbine so that he could check for correct or incorrect parts. He took one down to the basics, but didn't dismantle the triggerhousing. When he started to go back together he couldn't remember how it all came apart. The logical thing to do was take another carbine apart and remember the sequence. Four carbines later he still couldn't get any of them back together, and called another carbine collector to come over and put them all back together.

It was never intended that a soldier in the field completely dismantle his weapon. He was taught how to field strip the weapon, but was warned not to dismantle anything past that. My point was that someone new to Lugers would be better served by only field stripping the pistol for basic cleaning rather than completely dismanteling the pistol. More than a few holdopens and ejectors have been ruined by someone not knowing the proper way to remove and install them. My local gunshop has maybe three or four Lugers a year brought in for cleaning, and virtually every one shows efforts to take it apart by force. They have the telltale screwdriver mark over the locking lever. The gunsmith only takes it down to the basic components and uses a gunscrubber and an air hose to clean all the nooks and crannies.

Unread 07-09-2001, 10:46 PM   #22
Dok
RIP

Default Now THAT'S a funny image!!! :D

I can just see the pile of parts growing and growing ROFL. Thanks for the smile so late at night Johnny...

Dok

Unread 07-10-2001, 08:22 AM   #23
Steve Lempitski
User

Default Re: Now THAT'S a funny image!!! :D

The first time I took my luger apart, I got the book "Small arms of the world" from the local library. It had step by step pictures and instructions on how to completely disassemble a luger.

Unread 07-10-2001, 10:46 AM   #24
Roger Seymour

Default A couple of Other Ideas

Having had my Luger for only six months, I can relate to this thread. Taking any weapon down for the first time is always a trying experience, whether you 're doing it alone or with a DI breathing down your neck. Add in the fact that your new Luger is a "Classic" and you probably don't have a manual and it becomes downright traumatic. I downloaded disassembly instructions from three difference web sites before trying. In the end, I found the first H&L E-book on the Luger the most helpful, with its color pictures and accompanying text. However, I probably looked pretty silly breaking down a Luger in front of a computer screen.

Couple, three cleaing aids I haven't heard mentioned yet. Canned Air - the best thing to happen to gun cleaning since Breakfree. Gets into all the tiny nooks and slots. Pipe cleaners, especially the bristly kind. Better than Q-tips, since they can be bent into almost any shape and don't fall apart. Old Mouse Pads are great for holding parts, just use a brighly colored one.

Final thought, most of us should limit our disassembly to "field stripping." Military weapons builders are alway conscience of the fact that their design must be GI proof. Most military small arms are intended to be easily broken down to a certain level by the soldier for cleaning and quick replacment repairs. Anything else and the weapon is suppose to go to higher echelon for expert repair. For us civilians that means a gunsmith.