LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-30-2002, 10:04 PM   #1
John Coleman

Default Holster question

This nice brown holster came with my new G date early first variation Luger, containing a W154 loading tool. The holster has the maker's name in an oval, "Genschow A.G & Co. Berlin" and an early droop eagle over WaA 387, but no date anywhere. I know the loading tool is correct, but is the holster correct for a G date? How come no date on the holster?

Unread 04-30-2002, 10:55 PM   #2
tom
User

Default Re: Holster question

Hi John,

Strictly speaking, ANY III Reich period holster is correct as holsters were issued by clothing depots and were unacountable, as is done in the US Army. The pistols, however, were issued through unit armorers and they didn't give zwei pfennig about the soldat's holster date.

Thus it is perfectly reasonable for any III Reich piece to wind up in ANY German military holster from the early Reichsrevolver conversion pieces of 1909-1916 through the late war pieces produced as late as 1945.

The real issue is that Amerikanisher Waffensammerlerin want to make things more esoteric than they were or ever needed to be. As a result, we have invented subvariations, classes and taxonomy for these guns that would cause a Heer armorer to sigh with a "Dienst ist dienst und schnaps ist schnaps" as we polevault over mouse turds.

My two cents,

Tom

Unread 04-30-2002, 11:35 PM   #3
Roadkill
User

Just finished up a book named "Null Acht Funfzehn", 1954, by Helmut Kirst, its about a German artillery unit in the Eastern Front from 42-45, relevance is that each unit had a "home" support unit in Germany that supplied it with personnel & equipment. They trained replacements and procured large & small items, would send to "active" unit as required. Procurement was local by unit for most small items such as uniforms, field gear, accessories, ect. The large items were obtained thru the govt then shipped thru the home unit to the front. Could explain a lot of different sources & markings or lack there of for items.

Roadkill

Unread 05-01-2002, 01:00 AM   #4
mlm

Great post, Tom. If the lid of the holster has not only a tool pouch but also a cleaning rod flap and holder, the holster is 1934 or from the Weimar period. It is possible the date was rubbed off by the belt. That occurs occasionally.

Genschow made a lot of holsters, especially in the late 1930s.

Unread 05-01-2002, 03:12 AM   #5
John Coleman

Well, it appears the holster is probably OK, and I thank you all for your valued input. I forgot to mention that the holster is quite minty, the stampings are deep and clear, and there is no sign of rubbing where the date could have come off. Oh well, Constanza's book does show some undated examples, so I guess I'll let the matter rest. Again, many thanks.