LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-29-2002, 03:28 PM   #1
CETME
User

Default why do you like lugers?

What is it about Lugers that makes you want to buy them, and makes you want to come here to talk about them? Is it their history? their performance? What brings you here?

Unread 04-29-2002, 03:42 PM   #2
Brandon Metcalf

Default Re: why do you like lugers?

What brings me to the forum are all the nice people here! What makes me want to buy Lugers.......I don't really know. I just love them! How about you?

Brandon

Unread 04-29-2002, 04:02 PM   #3
Russ
User

i enjoy the history of them

russ

Unread 04-29-2002, 04:24 PM   #4
Roadkill
User

Its kind of difficult to appreciate a Luger without having the experience of many firearms in your past. Guns (handguns) really haven't changed a lot since 1911 - Browning system or revolver- I'm referring to systems, A new Colt .45 will shoot the same round as an origonal 1911, a new Beretta will shoot the same round as a 1908 Luger. The beauty in a Luger is in the engineering, the system has never been duplicated or copied by anyone else. Its a one of a kind, stand alone work of excellence that just can't be duplicated. Nothing in a Luger's design is a copy of anything else. And the round developed for the Luger is the # one bullet for hand & submachinegunes used today. They are fascinating marvels of design & engineering.

Roadkill

Unread 04-29-2002, 04:29 PM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default everything mentioned so far AND...

They are an absolute MARVEL of mechanical engineering... especially for the time period in which they were produced... the very late 19th century prototyped the first ones...

the history of them is my second draw... followed by my love of the shooting sports.

paraphrasing what one other member commented some years back... they fit the hand like they were part of your original equipment.

IMHO No other handgun feels this good in the hand, and points so naturally as the Luger. the fact that the design has withstood the test of time (100 years + ) and is still produced today (Krausewerk and AIMCO) is a testamonial that not many firearms enjoy...

regards,

John Sabato

Unread 04-29-2002, 05:26 PM   #6
dsk

Default Re: everything mentioned so far AND...

The Luger has everything going for it- good looks, facscinating design, old-world craftsmanship, association with a crack military force, usage in both world wars. Need I go on?

No, it's not a state-of-the-art comabt weapon any longer but it still fascinates us.

Unread 04-29-2002, 08:10 PM   #7
Steve
User

I agree with the previous posts. The design is a marvel, the looks are elegant and it feels good in the hand. It is obsolete but nothing else matches it on those points. I also like the broomhandle for many of the same points (except for elegance!).

Unread 04-29-2002, 09:19 PM   #8
Roadkill
User

And they are very accurate.

Roadkill

Unread 04-30-2002, 06:59 AM   #9
Marvin
User

This is a good qquestions and I think I fall right in line with all the others as to why I love Lugers, but I like the historical aspect best.

Another thing about Lugers is that when I forst started collecting guns about 35 years ago, I was into military rifles, but wanted a few handguns. i could afford the German K98k all matching at the time at $75 each once in a while, but I could not come up with $175-200 for a nice Luger. After school and military, I began collecting again, stayed away for a while, and then began collecting German used handguns of the Third Reich. After getting at least one example of most pistols, I started to settle on P.38s and Lugers. Now, I can afford to buy the Lugers that I could not afford years ago and with being able to buy them, the historical aspect, I LOVE them!

Marvin

AMMOMAN
Unread 04-30-2002, 10:59 AM   #10
HerbS/42

My cousin and I were shooting my 1938 Luger along with a CZ-52, Hsc, and a Makarov. The other 3 cut your hand when they recoiled -- the Hsc was the worst. The Luger fits my hand perfectly, as if it were designed for my exact grip, and is a great shooter.

And what other gun is often prefaced by the word "German," as in "German Luger"?

A beautiful piece of craftsmanship too, both in design and manufacturing....

Unread 04-30-2002, 02:18 PM   #11
sjsca

Well, it's my turn to post some answer: I myself have these reasons:

(1) their unique design

(2) even the History Channel had a show with collectors stating it (a luger) was a type of gun that seem to have an accurate aim simply from the owner aiming it with his/her eyes closed!

(3) the one weapon, other than the bayonet, that seemed to be in opoeration in both World wars

(4) What a fabulous looking handgun that is unique in it's design!

Unread 04-30-2002, 11:50 PM   #12

Most people like them because they are not frequently seen and they are really neeeeeeeat. The grip size and angle and trigger location are great. They are nice, well built machines. In their day, they had no competition.

Collectors please don't be insulted, but the sights are tiny, the safety is impossible and the trigger pull generally unacceptable. If the 1911 tune up artists like Wilson, Brown, etc. ever got interested in them and added S&W revolver rear sights, a slightly wider front sight, a trigger job (probably involving firing pin/trigger bar redesigns), and a safety that could be engaged with the shooting hand, we would really have a great firearm.