LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-23-2002, 10:17 PM   #1
Neil

Default navies

Question.

Answer: I personly haven't even thought that far ahead. Just the challange of trying to make the Navy sight is enough right now. I can assure you that (IF) I do make some of the sights there probably will be an identification mark in a place that will not distract from it. And you will never find one on as a $200.00 shooter because the sight will be more than that.

Neil

Unread 04-23-2002, 10:21 PM   #2
Brandon Metcalf

Default Re: navies

Ok sounds good! Have You thought of a price range yet?

Unread 04-23-2002, 10:58 PM   #3
Neil

1st things 1st. I do not have any drawings of a Navy sight or one to take drawings from. If some one knows of drawings or where I can get a sight long enough to make drawings let me know.

As of right now the project is just a thought.

Neil

Unread 04-23-2002, 11:25 PM   #4
bill m
User

Default Navy Sights

These sights have been made already on complete counterfiet navy Lugers. I personally saw a 1916 dated navy that was made from what was a common 1920 commercial. New barrel, proofs added, and a new rear sight. Once these sights start being turned out you will see more "mint" navies than you can imagine! There are other "craftsman" out there that can remove any production marks, and no one marks there products in such a way that this can not be done. The rear sight was the only thing keeping the navies from being reproduced at will at this time. -- This is not illegal and nothing can be done to stop it, and it was going to happen sooner or later. Regardless of the intentions of the original producers, if demands are there, the sights will be sold and we will all be contending with them in the near future. I have to agree with "Big Norm" on a lot of what he wrote. From a collector standpoint this is going to be a total diaster, but from a shooter standpoint, it will have its good points. God help the novice collectors looking for a navy!

Unread 04-24-2002, 12:13 AM   #5
mlm

Default Re: Navy Sights

Have you thought of tackling the stock lug that is ground off some lugers? That might be an interesting project and certainly a challenge. I doubt it would be very controversial.

Unread 04-24-2002, 01:38 AM   #6
Steve
User

Default Re: Navy Sights

Perhaps a way could be found around the "counterfit" problem. I do not know what an actual Navy sight looks like but perhaps there is some part of it that you could change the shape of to distinguish yours. Add a flat or make something round that is not round? Then unless it is being touted as a rare version, you can make a sight and not have to worry about its misrepresentation in the future.

Unread 04-24-2002, 03:25 AM   #7
Big Norm
RIP

Default Food For Thought Steve (EOM)

Unread 04-24-2002, 10:28 AM   #8
Tom Heller

Default Re: Replica Navy Shooter

I will be posting in the for sale section a complete Replica M1908 Navy with original toggle assy and new 9x150mm high front sight base barrel. Tom h

Unread 04-25-2002, 12:09 AM   #9
Hugh
RIP

I have a couple of Navies and also a shooter with one of the Navy replica rear sights that were made several years ago. The button that you push to change the elevation is configured differently so that they will not interchange. It is possible to tell the difference between the replica and the originals.