LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-23-2002, 01:57 PM   #1
Aaron
Banned

Default Kalifornia Bulletin

A couple of years ago the Great Western Gun Show was kicked out of the Los Angeles County fairgrounds in a politically correct move by the county. I believe this was the biggest gunshow in the US. The promoters took it all the way up to The Calif. supreme court, challenging their eviction from a public facility. At least 20 other cities and counties were eagerly awaiting the decision, so that they could also get rid of their gunshows. The decision came down yesterday ruling that the eviction is legal. You can now kiss all Calif. gunshows goodbye.

Unread 04-23-2002, 02:08 PM   #2
Dok
RIP

Default BUMMER!!! :( (EOM)

Unread 04-23-2002, 02:28 PM   #3
tom
User

Default Re: Kalifornia Bulletin

Am ending a 3 month stay in Peoples Republic of Kalifornia Thursday. It was a nice place to spend the winter (As opposed to DC) but the PC here is unbelievable...

Tom

Unread 04-23-2002, 02:37 PM   #4
tracyp
User

Default Article Link

Here's a link to the LA times article.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-000028886apr23.story?coll=la

Unread 04-23-2002, 02:45 PM   #5
Thor
User

Default Re: Article Link

Wonder what a gunless civilian population will be like. Ask them in Britain about crime or any other country that had their guns taken away! I hope I will not be around when it comes to this here. A very sad commentary. Shooting sports must be promoted to keep them alive! Thor

Ted's Luger Strawing Service
Unread 04-23-2002, 03:06 PM   #6
Brandon Metcalf

Default Amen Thor!

Thats the good ole Communist Republic of Kalifornia for ya!

"> Brandon ">

Unread 04-23-2002, 04:03 PM   #7
66mustang

Default shocking, I wouldn't have expected

it from a State Supreme court, not accepting public forum event. I think someone ought to sue to stop other events, create a precedent, if they can end gun shows, then why not quilting shows. And I am being serious, the reasoning could be that if legal items can be kept from the fairgrounds, then why others items such as...

ed

Unread 04-23-2002, 04:27 PM   #8
Brandon Metcalf

Default Re: shocking, I wouldn't have expected

Your absolutely right Ed! People can't just stand by and let their 2nd amendment rights be taken away!!! In Kalifornia or anywhere else! People need to take a stand!

Brandon

Unread 04-23-2002, 05:08 PM   #9
MarkC
User

Default More bad news

Unfortunately I hope that was has happened in Massachusetts won't happen in Kalifornia. The attourney general has legislated as unsellable, through consumer protection, any firearm produced after 1998 that doesn't pass safety tests. (no new guns for sale) The gun dealers have all moved out of the state. When the dealers move, money for supporting guns rights move, which is exactly what the anti gunners want.

Unread 04-23-2002, 05:19 PM   #10
Jay Newman
User

Default WHY NOT USE PRIVATE ENTERPRISE?

If city, county and state property isn't going to be available for use, why not utilise privately owned commercial property for a venue? In Port Angeles, WA the last gun show was in the Masonic Temple building. Since the Shrine Temple building in Los Angeles is no longer going to be used by the producers of the Oscars, why not see if they would like to make their property available for rental to the promoters of the gun show? This deprives the municipal or state owned propery of income, and puts the rental income in the hands of private enterprise, where it belongs. There must be commercial real estate avaliable for this purpose. If the city, county and state owned facilities want to be "politically correct", then hit them where it hurts---in the wallet!

Unread 04-23-2002, 06:58 PM   #11
tom
User

Default Re: WHY NOT USE PRIVATE ENTERPRISE?

In the last several years, I have noted a rise in the "closed" gun shows. These shows, usually privately sponsored by a group such as a regional chapter of NAPCA require advance registration and identification to enter and a pretty stiff admission charge. What you get for this additional expense and hassel is usually a very high quality show (no crew served knives, bumper stickers, beanie baby and beef jerky concessions) and the ability to "let down your guard" somewhat...leave guns with someone or unattended as you brouse what is out and on display or FS.

I believe that this will ultimately become the venue type of the future for our hobby as we are forced to adopt a siege perspective.

(Rant switch to On position) The PC liberals of Montgomery County in the PRM (Maryland) have been attempting to ban the use of county owned facilities for gunshows for some time; as the curse of PC "liberalism" spreads like cancer across the country, things will only get worse. (Rant switch to Off position).

My zwei pfennig

Tom

Unread 04-23-2002, 09:39 PM   #12
Aaron
Banned

Default Aaron

Actually, this is the direction we must go. First we have to establish a nationwide "Firearm Collector's Society." Then we have to set up closed, private gun shows throughout the country, open only to members paying a significantly substantial membership charge. To avoid government infiltration new members should only be admitted to the society after recommendation by an existing member. The only question which occurs to me is whether uninvited law enforcement personnel must be admitted to a closed show for policing purposes. I for one would rather go to a quality closed show once a month than to the flea markets we now have every week, even though I had to travel in order to attend.

Unread 04-23-2002, 10:49 PM   #13
dgp42
User

the high courts ruling does not end litigation in the dispute.First Amendment questions remain in the litigation brought by the gun industry. Still unresolved in the pending litigation is whether barring gun shows violates First Amendment protection of free speech.Five years ago 9th circuit overturned Santa Clara County's gun show ban, ruling that gun sales were protected commercial speech.The gun industry predicts the appeals court will rule the same way in in the pending two cases. Blocking weapons sales would create a slippery slope to outlawing other types of trade shows.The gun industry's biggest worry is that one CA local government after the next would ban them. No other state allows there local governments to ban gun shows on their property. As long as the majority of voters in this state keep voting into office left wing liberals. We are going to see many of our freedoms gone in exchange for their false sense of security. That they believe will come from legislating away anything that might be harmful. Unfortunately it's a national trend.IMO

Unread 04-23-2002, 11:01 PM   #14
Tracy

The city of Austin, Texas has banned Gun Shows in City owned buildings. An old Best Products building has now been turned into a semi convention center and operated by a privaye concern. Gun shows are held there on a monthly basis.

Unread 04-23-2002, 11:05 PM   #15
RET
User

Default All it takes is money...

You really can get all of the justice that you can pay for, and the antis have lots of it. They spend it on campaigns to get more and they spend it to get their agendas met. They are organized and they are persistent, sort of like a boa constrictor: it doesn't need to crush the victim, it only needs to take up the slack whenever it exhales...

I wish that I could say something in defense of the Left Coast, but I can't. Liberals are not liberal in the same sense that most civil servants are neither civil nor servile...

Regards,

Bob

Unread 04-24-2002, 12:17 AM   #16
Jay Newman
User

This is exactly what I was suggesting in Kalifornia Tracy. This is what must be done to avoid the legal problems of utilizing city , county or state owned property. Then the politicians will have to come out in the open and attempt to restrict the use of private property.