LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-21-2002, 11:22 AM   #1
treebeard
User

Default Collector Luger?

I was reading the post below about the 1939 Luger that was originally bought as a non shooting collector piece. I have a 1939 42 code that I acquired from a friend who said that it was only one of the most common available. I thought of it as both a shooter and a represenative piece of the WW2 era. It is all matching except for the magazine and has what I would estimate is 50%-60% blue with no pitting and no abuse. Most of the blue wear is from the holster wear spots and where the grip is held by the hand. Being new to Luger collecting my question is what's the drawback to shooting this piece? Your opinions woulds be appreciated.

Unread 04-21-2002, 11:37 AM   #2
Roadkill
User

Default Re: Collector Luger?

The drawback is that it is matching & in decent shape, if you shoot it and bust something, then get a replacement part then it is deemed "non-matching" and therefore worth less. There are many facts such as rarity of gun, (a non matching Spandau/Krieghof is worth more than many types of matching ones)and condition. My nonmatching Erfurt is common as dirt but is not an import & in good + condition, but how would it rate against an imported Erfurt that does match? This is why there is such hassel over replacing parts with numbers that match gun.

Roadkill

Unread 04-21-2002, 11:59 AM   #3
Thor
User

If I have a Luger that APPEARS to be all matchin but a part GLARES at me because it was an obvious restamp, I would much rather have a part that LOOKS right that is not original than have one that is not original and looks like #$%^. It is like the reproduction grips with that fat back and front edge, it just makes my hand sick when I put the gun in my hand. When I get these little problems fixed I say "ah.....better" The problem is intent to defraud, but after we are all gone, who is to know what we did. That to me is the quandry. Thor

Ted's Luger Strawing Service
Unread 04-21-2002, 12:08 PM   #4
Thor
User

I guess the answer to this problem is just to buy Lugers that look correct, end of problem! Heck, I feel like I have just been through a big circle.

I actually would rather buy a Luger that looks correct for more money than one that doesnt. I guess that leaves me to the mercy of those that would change them to look right! Thor

Unread 04-21-2002, 01:21 PM   #5
treebeard
User

Thanks to Roadkill and Thor for clarifying the issue of shooting Lugers. I'm not concerned about the possibility of faking as this Luger traded for the equivalent of $450.00. My other Luger is a Finn from those that were purchased by that country in the 1920's and rebuilt by Tikka. It is a Mismatch as are most Finn weapons. A local Luger collector took a few seconds to look at it and immediately lost interest--However it is one of my most valued pieces as to me it represents a brave nation's resistance to enslavement. Thanks again for the input.

Unread 04-21-2002, 01:56 PM   #6
tom
User

Were I you and wished to shoot the piece, I would replace the SN parts with generic and keep the original parts tucked away somewhere. That way, when you wish to dispose of the pistol, you can reinstall the original parts and still bang away in the interim with no danger of damaging something.

Parts I would replace for shooting are:

Firing pin

Hold Open

Extractor

You can get these pretty cheap and have insurance that your original piece is at no risk.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Unread 04-21-2002, 03:26 PM   #7
Roadkill
User

I think the name of the movie was "Winter War" but it was in Finnish with Eng. subtitles, the story of a group of men leaving a small town to fight the Russians, excellent movie, historically perfect in uniforms, weapons, armor, tactics, just a very brutal portrait of that time. Showed the Finnish snipers at work, then the smg troops on skis running down the russian columns and cutting in & out firing from the hip, they would leave their wounded out long enough for the wounds to freeze to stop bleeding, a definite last ditch effort to stop the Russians.

Roadkill

Unread 04-21-2002, 04:17 PM   #8
Thor
User

Default Re: Collector Luger?-Winter War

Available from Amazon.com at $45 per copy of VHS or DVD formats. Thor

http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/Winterwar.jpg