LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-16-2002, 10:20 AM   #1
Bernard
User

Default 1918 DWM

I looked at a 1918 DWM, all matching numbers and proper acceptance/proofs. It has not been refinished and no import marks. It has the 4" barrel and the bore is fair-good, has seen a lot of corrosive ammo.

The gun needs a good cleaning. The finish is good with alittle ptiing at the left front of the barrel. The grips are well-worn and appear original and are not cracked. I did not take them off.

The gun comes with one magazine numbered to the gun and labeled 2. It is an aluminum bottom.

What is the value, since the owners is thinking of selling. Any thoughts on this gun would be appreciated.

Unread 04-16-2002, 10:34 AM   #2
tom
User

Default Re: 1918 DWM

Hi Bernard,

The magazine is a replacement-originals in 1918 had wooden bottoms. That leads me to suspect that the piece may be a police gun. Does it have the sear safety installed?

If not, sounds like you have about a $550-650 collectable....for a better estimate, I would have to be able to see the finish on the gun.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Unread 04-16-2002, 10:37 AM   #3
BCC

It is interesting that an all matched, period finish, non-import stamped Luger is being apraised in the same value range as most "Russian" imports that we are currently seeing for sale.

Unread 04-16-2002, 11:54 AM   #4
Roadkill
User

The asking price here in Huntsville Al would be around $650-$700.If it were here I'd walk in with $600 cash and put it on the counter. I'd go $650 though. Ask if you can test fire it, it probably won't shoot right. Then if it doesn't try for a lower price. If they won't let you test fire it then push for $500.

Roadkill

Unread 04-16-2002, 12:37 PM   #5
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

I believe Tom is right about the value. The condition of the bore brings the price down considerably.

Lonnie

Unread 04-16-2002, 12:48 PM   #6
Aaron
Banned

I have to agree with BCC that it is stupid to value a good, honest, matching, original Luger about the same as a Russian rework. Something doesn't add up here. Either the rework should go for $300 or the originals should start at $750. I think the disparity occurs when many first time buyers drive up the rebuild prices because they are willing to pay for what essentially looks like a "new" gun, and can't tell the difference from a more desirable original.

Unread 04-16-2002, 01:03 PM   #7
tom
User

See Bob Simpsons catalogue for retail valuations; this gun seems to correspond with Bob's pricing and he has about a 25-30% built in profit margin.

Simply stated, I think Aron is on to something. Too many eager "Gotta have me a looger" types with more money than shopping accumen who are driving up prices of guns that have no collector value.

The discussion then can devolve to: how much is a 9MM semi that is 50 plus years old worth as a shooter? Thats a supply and demand issue, I s'pose...

My 2 cents or zwei pfennigs worth,

Tom

Unread 04-16-2002, 01:09 PM   #8
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I would agree with Tom, but I would like to see the magazine and condition of the pistol before I would step up to the price Tom quoted. Many early imports had 2/1001 magazines numbered to the pistol. If it has a sear safety and the magazine is not an East German, then I would agree with Tom. FWIW

Unread 04-16-2002, 02:21 PM   #9
BCC

Assuming the pistol in question, has some merit as a collector item, I would not see the poor bore condition as being that much of a value factor. I believe that most grading guidlines on antique and collector firearms disregard bore condition.

Unread 04-16-2002, 03:07 PM   #10
Bernard
User

Thank you all for your Zwei Pfennigs worth. I appreciate it.

The magazine looks almost better than the pistol, clean, shiny, no wear, rust, pits. Just that it has the same S/N and in the same lettering style, but on the alum mag bottom.

The gun has a bright, shiny piece that comes up on the left side when the safety is applied. Is that the sear safety? It is also numbered.

BTW, the S/N is 7434 and no suffix.

The gun looks entirely shootable and that has been offered to me, whether I buy it or not.

Thanks again, all. This board is really educational!

Unread 04-16-2002, 03:24 PM   #11
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default The piece that comes up when the safety lever

is applied is the safety bar. The sear safety is a different device intended to keep lesser intelligent police officers from shooting themselves during the cleaning process because a loaded chamber can be fired with the upper and lower receivers separated by pressing on the sear bar... do a site search on "sear safety" and you will find several threads on this device including some with illustrations of where it is located and how they work...

There is also a magazine safety device that was fitted at times to police Lugers... you can also find threads on this discussion board that will show you what they look like and how they functioned...

regards,

John Sabato

Unread 04-16-2002, 04:13 PM   #12
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

Default Re: The piece that comes up when the safety lever

A pistol with an excellent or better bore is ALWAYS worth more than one with a "good" or poor bore. This can"t be disputed, can it?

Lonnie

Unread 04-16-2002, 05:03 PM   #13
BCC

Default Bore condition

If everything else is equal,yes I agree with you that a nice condition bore is worth more than a poor one. I guess I just don't see the value difference being tremedous on a pistol that will not be shot much if at all. I would personally not put more than 5% or 10% max of the overall value on bore condition on a collector firearm....I think that one will see this born out if they review a lot of price list.

There would be some exceptions, one that comes to mind is a legit military Sniper Rifle...I personally would want the bore condition and optics and everthing else that goes into the technical performance to be serviceable because the use integrity of the piece in it's history depended on those factors.

Many Lugers that I have seen that were apparently used for training at various schools (and so marked) showed very rough/worn bores.

Also if I could only own one Luger, I would want one with a sharp bore.

Unread 04-16-2002, 05:27 PM   #14
Thor
User

Default Re: Bore condition

Collectors are typically interested in being accurate in variation and finish conditon more than bore condition! Shooters want a gun that shoots and assume a better bore a better shooter......not always

Ted's Luger Strawing Service
Unread 04-16-2002, 07:16 PM   #15
Bernard
User

Having done some more search and research...

It does NOT have a sear safety or mag safety.

There are no bright rub marks on the side plate, muzzle, etc, even though the muzzle has some wear as in light pitting, the "Gesichert" is a ivory color, the safety, takedown, trigger, etc are all blue, not straw or white. (Reblue?) Again, no import or Russian capture marks.

The magazine is also blue and looks too good. I do not have an original mag available for comparison. The mag bottom has no dings, scratches, etc.

So waht might we have and what value?

Thanks for your patience, folks.

Unread 04-16-2002, 09:04 PM   #16
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Bernard, as far as I would be concerned you have a "shooter", rather than a "collectable" Luger. A few years ago I would have said your pistol would be in the $300 range, but with the price of imports today, I would have to say a bit higher, maybe $400 to $500 range. I would certainly hope some others would jump in and express their opinions as to price.

Unread 04-17-2002, 10:32 AM   #17
tom
User

Well Bernard, now that we know that it has been reblued (Safety and trigger plus general condition description indicates a reblue), I will adjust my estimate downwards to $375-400 as a shooter. The gun may be a good canidate for one of Thor's restorations.

Tom