LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-15-2002, 05:37 PM   #1
TheRomanhistorian
User

Default Came back from shooting with my Luger

Hey all, just took my shooter Luger to the range yesterday and came back. I've learned two things, 1) I am a horrible shot (it was my first time firing a gun), 2) the Luger is a SWEET gun to shoot. I fed 42 rounds of Speer Lawman 9mm Luger, 115 grain FMJ (I picked it up in Lewiston, Idaho at Lolo's sporting goods, 50 rounds for about $12.99 while the gunsmith double-checked to confirm the condition of the gun. I wanted to make sure the gun was all in working order and that I would have no problems.)

In 25-30 minutes I expended 42 out of 50 rounds. It was fun and I only hit the target paper 4 times, rather bad but I was firing at 75 feet and it was my first time shooting. That and this sort of 'manic' glee hitting me after my first clip. There was little kick and it was fun. Anyway, must get out more and get more of this Lawman stuff. I'll get my gun's picture up one of these days.

Michael Ng

Unread 04-15-2002, 06:07 PM   #2
Roadkill
User

Default Re: Came back from shooting with my Luger

Shooting is fun but man, move up a little closer. Pistols are much much harder to shoot than other long guns. And be careful. Shooting is great but very unforgiving. I'm also shooting my first Luger and although I bring several guns to the woods to shoot the Luger keeps on ending back up in my hands. Its the most accurate one I've got. You can get a better deal on ammmo though. Check with "cheaper than dirt" on the internet or at Walmart.

Roadkill

Unread 04-15-2002, 06:15 PM   #3
tom collins

wallmart 9mm luger FMJ target practice shells - 100 rounds for $10.95

work fine.

Unread 04-15-2002, 06:31 PM   #4
66mustang

Wallie world is right over by the skool,

I find that closer is better, if I take my time I can shoot military expert half the time, I just get bored / excited and blast off some rounds. A pistol is meant for less than 50 feet and i like 20 - 25. Further and grab a rifle,

Ed

Unread 04-15-2002, 07:11 PM   #5

Michael,

I had an experience like yours when I was about 14 and my dad had a borrowed 38 Special. After 50+ years I'm a lot better. You have a long way and a lot of fun to go. My advice is to pick up a Ruger Mark I or II and about 5 bricks of 22s so you don't go bankrupt and then go shoooooooting.

Unread 04-15-2002, 07:20 PM   #6
Dan Clemons
User

Hi Michael:

I LOVE shooting the Luger! It's the best 9 mm period.

I found my accuracy improved once I sighted the gun. I bought a plastic gun stand to hold it steady. At 15 yards, shoot two or three rounds to see where they are hitting. My Artillery is dead on accurate when I aim a ring and a half to the right of dead center. For me at least, each gun has its own personality except my S&W 686 with a red dot scope. The bullet goes to the red dot every time. Having said that, my second most accurate gun is my Artillery.

Just another idea,

Dan

Unread 04-15-2002, 07:43 PM   #7
Steve
User

Default You are hooked! (EOM)

Unread 04-15-2002, 09:19 PM   #8
Roadkill
User

I sent five or six handguns down the line cause "they didn't shoot straight" finally spent an afternoon with a 6'5" 250 lb Alabama State Trooper with no tact who taught me how to shoot. We were using a Ruger MKII with a bull barrel. One shot at at time. He would hand me the gun and sometimes it was loaded, sometimes not. Then he put a dime on the barrel as I practiced. "Pull the G**D***** front sight thru the rear sight boy, kaint you hear?" 22s are the best way.

Roadkill

Unread 04-15-2002, 09:40 PM   #9
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

If your Luger shoots 3" low and 3" left at 15 yards, you were lucky to hit the paper at all at 75 ft. Do as the other members say and start close. You will be suprised at what little groups you can shoot at 15 ft, if your gun is sighted in right. Best of Luck!!!

Lonnie

Unread 04-15-2002, 10:40 PM   #10
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

I take my Lugers to the range two or three times a month (I know, if I shot more often I might even get good). I take some pleasure in having three or four Lugers lined up on the bench in front of me, usually along with a Radom and a Remington model 51, occasionally a P-38 or an Enfield Mk. 2, with Glocks, Sigs, and Rugers in the lanes on either side. I'm sure I'm having a more enjoyable shooting experience than they are In addition, I'm sure I get more interested looks and double-takes. Yes, one needs to be a bit of an extrovert when shooting Lugers.

Um, oh, yeah, the shooting is quite a bit of fun, too. When I do it right they shoot nice, tight little groups--well, except for the shot-out 1900. My artillery shoots high, too.

--Dwight

Unread 04-16-2002, 11:55 AM   #11
Gilly
User

I took both the BYF 42 and the S42/36 out to the range last week. At ten yards they print 2 inches high and centered. A lot of fun, they feed ammo that my Lahti doesn't care for. Spent more time shooting them than all the 45s, 38 Supers and 10s. The sights aren't that bad after you get used to them. Accuracy was extremely good. A lot of fun to shoot.

Unread 04-16-2002, 01:33 PM   #12
unspellable
User

"A pistol is meant for less than 50 feet and i like 20 - 25. Further and grab a rifle,"

Somebody forgot to tell this to all the jackrabbits out in Idaho. They had a tendency to stop and give up when I made loud noises with my 30 Luger. And all the time I thought I was hitting them.

unsepllable

Unread 04-17-2002, 12:36 AM   #13
66mustang

Default thats nice, have a real name? (EOM)

Unread 04-17-2002, 08:15 AM   #14
unspellable
User

Default Re: thats nice, have a real name?

Yes, it's No�«l Cotter, or sometimes Hey You! I picked unspellable as a Yahoo handle in a fit of pique when the Yahoo software jammed up over the two little dots that are supposed to go over the "e". Twenty years ago they told me I had to throw away my typewriter. It would handle my name. I am sometimes amazed at how backwards the so called bleeding edge technology is.

unspellable alias No�«l Cotter

Unread 04-17-2002, 08:49 AM   #15
66mustang

Default I meant to have a :D at the end

No�«l and we'll see how cutting and pasting worked!

Cool name, mine is boring Ed,

Ed