LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-13-2002, 11:02 PM   #1
Ray
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default KU BYF 41 Luftwaffe Marked Luger, HELP Please

Hi Guys,

I've got a pretty rare Luger that's in 97% orig condition and I've gotten some offers but I don't know if they're fair for a gun this nice. I was hoping from some input from the members of this board.

This gun was one of many brought back by a gentleman who was in the 502nd PIR 101st Airborne, he made 4 combat jumps, was a Judo Instructor, received Silver Star, Bronze Star w/ V, 3 purple hearts along with all the other standard medals.

He brought back about 25 German PPK's, Lugers, P38's and a G41 of which I purchased 15 from the family after he passed away. I also purchased his orig M1A1 Carbine, 1903A3, his jump suit uniform and other misc stuff. It's amazing what families will sell and there was no sense of history when they sold it to me.

This Luger has been getting some attention and when I took it to a local gunshow, I had a dealer offer me $2500 for it. This gun is all matching SN 196xKU, matching SN FXO37 Alum bottom mag, matching FXO37 black bakelite bottom mag, 1940 FR Offerman holster made in Bensburg that's in mint orig condition, there's no wear inside the gun, perfect bore, honest holster wear at the high points with a couple of pits on the takedown door high point where it was touching the holster for 40+ years.

There are only 2 acceptance stamps, one on the left side of the rear part of the barrel and on the front right side of the frame just behind where the barrel & frame meet. The stamps are a weird eagle with an A inside of it.

I don't think that this gun has even been fired since it left the factory and there aren't any marks or rings on the bolt face. I'd greatly appreciate any help in letting me know what everyone thinks about the offers I've been getting.

Thanks for your time,

Ray

Unread 04-13-2002, 11:58 PM   #2
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

Default Re: KU BYF 41 Luftwaffe Marked Luger, HELP Please

Ray; a rare pistol; with approx. 5,000 manufactured for the Luftwaffe. The code on the pistol would tell which variation it is of the 3 that are known. More members will be able to help you, but this is a start. A very desirable gun, and worth BIG bucks.

Lonnie

Unread 04-14-2002, 01:15 AM   #3
mlm

Yep, Luftwaffe inspection stamps are what you are describing as weird marks. These are rare but you have a full rig (is there a loading tool in the holster?) and it is worth $2500 comfortably. How much more is hard to tell but it is worth polling the marketplace by auction to arrive at a good price. For the modest trouble you go to to have proper photos prepared and to provide a detailed description, you can auction the rig on AuctionArms, eg, and stand a good chance of a safe, profitable sale. Be sure to not keep the luger in the holster (you see what it did to the luger over 50 years). Don't mess with the holster as it is near mint and needs to be kept in a cool dry place out of strong light. Put a couple pencil-diameter pieces of white kleenex in the top of each belt loop to avoid cracking. Keep the holster unbuckled, also.

The second mag sounds generic period while the first mag is a great addition to the pistol, being a factory mag for that gun.

Congratulations. Here in Colorado, $2500 might be low to normal for that gun in 90-95% condition but I think it could go for $3200 with some persistence.

There is a Krieghoff for sale here for $3600 that has two matched mags and a holster. Your Ku41 would be somewhere between $2300 and $3300 around here, I guess.

dave

Unread 04-14-2002, 07:37 AM   #4
Marvin
User

Ray,

You sure have a winner with this rig in 97% condition. Normally, a "KU" Luger with mismatched magazine in 95-96% condition will sell for $1800 retail. Since you have the full Rig, I would put a retail price in the $2500-3000 area. The dealer that offered you $2500 for the rig seemed to be offering you a decent price. Normally, a dealer will set the retail price he will ask, then buy at approx 30% less. The difficult part is there are no hard and fast rules, and if a dealer buys it for resale, he must make a profit, so he will not buy it from you for the retail price.

If you are contemplating selling the rig, post it on this Forum in the Classified Section, and also post it on one of the firearm auction sites.

I sure would like to have it in my collection, but that is just wishing at thi time! Good Luck.

Marvin

Unread 04-15-2002, 11:14 AM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Please Post Photographs of your remarkable Luger!

If you need help doing this, you can contact me via email and I will be glad to assist.

regards,

John Sabato

Unread 04-15-2002, 05:47 PM   #6
tom
User

This piece brings up the old question...Does Ku=Coastal Flying Service? Since that organization was NOT a part of the Luftwaffe, the presence of LW proofs on a Ku marked gun support my (and sever others) theory that these guns were the re-works assembled in concentaration camps under contract to the various armed forces organizations.

See my posting of about 6-7 months ago...

Tom