LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-06-2002, 11:07 AM   #1
kidvett
User

Default DUTCH Code 42

A fellow collector tells me that some Code 42 E/655 proofed were DUTCH issued in 39-40. I happen to have a collector grade 1940 Code 42 E/655 proofed i block.Any way of knowing about that DUTCH issue.....

Unread 04-06-2002, 01:31 PM   #2
66mustang

Default Re: DUTCH Code 42

kidvett, I have been checking into that.

From the Dutch Luger book, there were a number of Lugers ordered that never made it to the Dutch East Indies. After the Dutch were taken over in 1940, that shipment was turned into the German supply system, although they had been already marked with the RUST (safe) marking and then marked with German proofs and acceptance. The E/655 is an acceptance marking and I think that is how that came to be confusing for collectors.

Also from the book, "Luger pistols used by the Dutch were subject to the proof regulations of two countries, those from Germany and for the Vickers, those from England. ...All pistols delivered under the German proof law of 1891.

So you will find DWM and Mausers with German proofs and English proofs for Vickers.

The Dutch Lugers acceptance markings were usually crowned W for Queen Willhemenia. There are also some markings of KL which many believe is for the Luchtmacht (airforce) but this is unlikly as the airforce in the East Indies was very small, and it is more than likely a meaning for Colonies (Kolonien in Dutch).

KM for the Navy would be correct.

hopefully that helps?

I had a 1940 makred with the E/655 and I hoped it was Dutch also, so that is why I have researched it, that and the 7 years I spent in Holland and the Dutch Luger on order!

Take care,

Ed

Unread 04-07-2002, 10:47 AM   #3
kidvett
User

Default Re: DUTCH Code 42

Thanks for the info.....I'm dreaming of a nice DUTCH issue LUGER......so I'll continue dreaming.......