LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 10-29-2001, 11:48 PM   #1
eugene
New User

Default Ersatz Holsters

I am aware that toward the end of the war the Germans produced ersatz "paper" holsters for some pistols. I have only seen two such examples, one for the Sauer 38H with police markings, and the other for the FN Browning Model 1922. I am under the impression that these holsters were made only for small pistols, and were possibly used only for police and not military weapons. I would be curious to know if anyone has seen them for other pistols, and if they were ever provided for the Luger or P-38.

Unread 10-30-2001, 12:18 AM   #2
Tracy

Default Re: Ersatz Holsters

I have seen two for a P.38 one of the hard side variation and another in the softside type. They were in a collection of a fellow out in California. I saw them at a NAPCA Convention in Costa Mesa some years back.

Unread 10-30-2001, 12:36 AM   #3
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,580 Times in 988 Posts

I have seen only one...It was a black pebble textured paper P.08 holster, and it was mint!!! I saw it at the Kansas City NAPCA show about 7 or 8 years ago....It was really neat, but it had a price tag of over $1000......It looked a little bulkier then a leather holster, but appeared to be styled the same...maybe some of the other forum members know something of this holster? till...later...G.T.

Unread 10-30-2001, 10:21 AM   #4
tom
User

I don't believe ersatz holsters were ever produced for the P-08; towards the end of the war a hybrid P-08/P-38 holster appeared. I do know that the standard P-08 holster was produced as late as 1945 as i have one in my collection with a 1945 date. No maker's mark or waffen, just dated 1945. I came with a byf inside.

Unread 10-30-2001, 01:08 PM   #5
eugene
New User

The only holster book I have is Whittington's Volume I, and that makes no mention of ersatz holsters. Can anyone with Volumes II, III, and IV tell me if those books have any info on paper holsters?

Unread 10-30-2001, 03:15 PM   #6
Deaf Smith
User

Default Re: Ersatz Holsters - more details please

Paper holsters? Exactly how were these made and how well did they hold up to regular use? Also anybody have a picture so I can see what one looks like? Any details on these holsters would be very welcome. thanks

Deaf Smith

Unread 10-30-2001, 06:33 PM   #7
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,580 Times in 988 Posts

I don't know about full sized weapon holsters, but smaller holsters, pp, ppk, etc. had paper holsters that looked very close to the original leather! I think the material that was substituted for the leather was a paper type material with a thin leather top layer (and possibly a leather bottom layer also, with paper sandwiched in between!) and was sewen and glued same as leather. It was a leather substitute and I would think all else would remain the same....The ones I have seen all had a strange orange or orange/brown color...but, I have seen but a few, and was not interested in them enough to look close....till...later...G.T.

Unread 10-31-2001, 01:40 AM   #8
Aaron
Banned

The two I have positively identified as ersatz were both black. If you look at the edge of the material you can actually see how it is made up of thin layers which may be slightly separating. I imagine these were mainly for homefront use and not intended to withstand the rigors of combat. I agree they were primarily made for the smaller pistols, and in my opinion they were predominantly used by police.