LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 10-29-2001, 10:59 PM   #1
Roger
User

Default NAPCA members ?

I'm thinking about joining NAPCA, are any regular readers of this board members ? And if so, what are the benefits of membership ? (this message also posted on P 38 website)

Thanks

Unread 10-29-2001, 11:20 PM   #2
Johnny Peppers
User

Default Re: NAPCA members ?

NAPCA is a good forum, but it sure does give you a good appreciation of the electronic forum. Instead of waiting a month for an answer to your question through the AUTO MAG (the NAPCA newsletter), it is usually answered here in a matter of minutes or a few hours at the most. I was a member for several years, but as I am primarily a 1911/1911A1 collector I dropped my membership when Charles Clawson brought out his book on the military .45's. The AUTO MAG had been great, but the questions and answers on .45's dried up after Clawson's book was published.

Unread 10-30-2001, 07:59 AM   #3
Marvin
User

Roger,

As Johnny stated, the answers to questions are slow since "AUTO-MAG", the monthly publication, is only published once a month. The up side to NAPCA is the type information you receive which is from the top gun book authors in the US and Europe. In addition, some of the more techinical questions can be researched and good answers given

Many of the members do research on a particular pistol and regularly publish their findings in "AUTO-MAG" and the information is not available from any other source. Some of the past research projects was on the Political Leaders PPK, the Mauser HsC, the E. German Makarov, the spelling for Spreewerk does not contain the last letter "e" in the spelling you see as "Spreewerke", etc., etc., etc.

NAPCA members are the source of much research material that goes into new publoications. Without NAPCA, some of the gun books on the market today may not be there. Yes, the newsletter is monthly, but if you like German pistols, it is great! Other automatic pistols are included, but as Johnny stated, the intrest is more in German than American.

Try it for a year and see how you like it.

Marvin

Unread 10-30-2001, 09:03 AM   #4
tom h

Default Re: NAPCA membership

In addition to the fine prepublication info of many of the major book authors, I like the free advertising section and I've been able to assist many of the members looking for parts or accessories for certain pistols. I've also learned a lot about some lessor known pistols (Davis-Warner Infallible, Argentine 45s, Ortgies, Savage, Ingles, etc.) from collectors who specialize in these and to meet many of them at the annual conventions, where a Nationally known speaker will share his knowledge at the annual banquet.

Unread 10-30-2001, 10:17 AM   #5
tom
User

Default Re: NAPCA membership

One of the greatest benefits of being a NAPCA member is the opportunity to get to meet and know some of the finest people in the world, who, coincidentally, are pistol collectors. It is a peerless source for authoritative information from experts world wide and a great source of unusual stuff, often at well below market prices.

Unread 10-30-2001, 01:40 PM   #6
Big Norm
RIP

I have been a member of the NAPCA for a few years too. I am constantly on the search for magazines and stocks for my collection of Imperial Era Lugers. The NAPCA magazine, AUTO MAG, seems to be a excellent source of possibilities. Once a year they publish a list of members who voluntarily submit their address. That comes in handy in case you want to find a local collector to have a conversation with. But you should be a collector. I don't think that it would be useful for just a casual looker or an occasional Luger shooter. The magazine is published using a duplication machine so the photography is not high quality. But the information is high quality.

Big Norm

Unread 10-30-2001, 07:22 PM   #7
Uncle Mike
User

Hi Rodger,I think it's well worth the price of admission.Where else can you read an article about dragoon Luger's by Jan Still.I sometimes don't think I need the information but I find it educational and sometimes it sparks a new interest or helps to answer a question at a later date.This years convetion's speaker was Jan Still.I couldn't make it but I will try next tim.Regards MC