LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 10-22-2001, 11:46 AM   #1
larry cook

Default ammo infomation

I'm a newbie to the luger world. took my luger on a great fishing trip for trout in the sandhills of Nebr.Was shooting coke cans, not to many got away, but the gun jamed every shot, was shooting 115 gr fmc. On the forum you suggest shooting 124 gr FMJ, what dose the fmj stand for, and what is a good brand to shoot.

Unread 10-22-2001, 12:06 PM   #2
66mustang

Default Re: ammo infomation

FMJ is full metal jacket.

If every round is jamming, then I would investigate the magazine. It is possible it is messed up. With FMJ, you might have failure to fire every now and then, but extremly common feeding problems, usually equals something besides ammo. Still, trying a few other brands can rule that out. I have usually had little problems with 115 gr., but my Luger seems to like 124 a bit better.

Try some CCI, or winchester and see how they feed, or get with some friends and borrow a clip or two of their 9 mm and try it?

Ed

Unread 10-23-2001, 09:02 PM   #3
Chuck Shoun
User

Default Re: ammo infomation

I have been shooting 124 grain fmj in my Luger, and have not had any trouble at all. I just ordered 1000 cast 115 Meisters, and have been praying that my Browning can eat them, if I find the Luger says they don't taste good. Boy, guns sure are picky, aren't they?

Unread 10-27-2001, 02:54 AM   #4
Big Norm
RIP

Default JAMMING?

What exactly do you mean by jamming? Jamming means different things to different people. Did your Luger stove pipe? Did a casing stay in the barrel while the toggle tried to feed another into it? Did your pistol not **** after a round was fired? And so forth. Usually, the problem is ammo, but it also could mean a bad mag or a dirty gun. Maybe the breech block end piece is jammed in too far? Maybe you have a pre-1913 mag in a post 1913 Luger? Maybe the extractor is broken or worn? Maybe the extractors spring is broken? On an individual gun, individual things can go wrong. Maybe the mag is dirty. You said that you were shooting in sandy soil. Maybe some sand got in someplace.

A good key would be if you shot this gun before your fishing trip, did that problem occur then too or was it the first time that you shot this Luger? What changed?

Lots of questions need to be answered.

Big Norm