LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 02-24-2001, 06:52 PM   #1
Barry

Default Luger barrel Question

Ok after 13 years I finally decided to get a luger. It was supposed to be my first pistol but I got distracted. One of the local gun shops has a 1917 DWM all matching except magazine. It has been reblued because it is 100%. It has wood grips in nice shape not neww but good. The barrel has no proofs marks or numbers of any kind. On top of the barrel in front of the chamber is a gigantic proof punch mark about 1/8 in diameter. Is this a East German barrel. The front sight sleeve is not seated all the way down on the barrel. Can the sleeve be set down by using a wooden dol and hammering it in place. They are asking $600.00.

TIA

Barry

Unread 02-24-2001, 07:04 PM   #2
Marvin
User

Default Re: Luger barrel Question

Barry,

This sounds like a possible East German rework, but is it import marked? The import mark will verify that it has been dip blued. As to the barrel front sight sleeve not being all the way down does not sound right. Can you describe the 1/8" proof mark on the barrel?

The price sounds very high for this type pistol. I would estimate the price at approx. $400 max. If you are looking for a nice shooter, take a look in the Links section and go to Tom Heller's site. he has some nice pistols that are priced right. Also, you may want to look at Ralph Shattuck's site, World of Lugers. Both of these gentlemen have shooter grade Lugers that are much better than the one you describe.

The 1916-1918 Lugers are the some of the most inexpensive and for $600, you should be able to get an 80% Luger all matching, including barrel, for the $600 plus shipping. Good Luck on your search and ask this group any questions you come up with.

Marvin

Unread 02-24-2001, 07:16 PM   #3
Barry

Default Sorry forgot to mention no import marks

I was just curious about ths paticular pistol. The proof is just a standard prick punch type but is a lot bigger than what I am use to seeing on US weapons. Tom Heller is local I was looking at his pistols 2 weeks ago. I will most likely be doing a layaway if I pick one up over the $400-$450 range.

HTH

Barry

Unread 02-25-2001, 07:52 AM   #4
Marvin
User

Default Re: Sorry forgot to mention no import marks

Barry,

I think you are doing the smart thing by going to Tom. The pistol you describe just does not sound like it has the original barrel and if replaced in the US, you never know who or how it was done. Plus the price is WAY to high for this pistol. At least with Tom you know what you are getting.

Marvin