LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 05-02-2002, 01:15 PM   #1
Jim Van Eldik
User

Default Impressing the Masses

Took my son-in-law out to shoot the little MG 42 and the Luger last Saturday. Son-in-law gets two hang-ups in a row with the Luger. I asked him how firm was he holding the pistol. He asked what do you mean, firm. I said how tight of grip do you use. He said light. I said firm it up. No more hang-fires in the next 17 shots.

The range owner, Don, ex- GE engineer, master black powder arms competitor, said explain. I said a firm grip is necessary or the recoil energy needed to work the action dissipates into the air. He thought about it, gave the all knowing head nod, and seemed impressed.

So Luger Forum knowledge does get into the atmosphere sometimes.

Unread 05-02-2002, 02:44 PM   #2
Johnny Peppers
User

Default Re: Impressing the Masses

The late pistolsmith Jim Clark built what he called a Long Heavy Slide on a 1911 frame for .38 Special Wadcutter. The slide had 1" added to it's length and a full Bo-Mar rib. The pistol would not function at all unless fired from a locked elbow. Any recoil energy taken up in the wrist or elbow would cause a failure to eject. This was strictly a target pistol, so reliability from a fast draw was of no concern.