LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-28-2002, 10:30 PM   #1
Bryan

Default 7.65 ammo

Hi everybody, I asked about the 7.65 ammo a couple of days ago and the responses taught me alot.I was able to find some of the Fiocchi, unfortunatly, as so many of you warned, it didnt eject a single bullet(dang it!). So now my question is: Is it possible to find a 9mm barrel and put it on the same frame that had been a 7.65, and if so where could I find a barrel?

Also there was alot mentioned about cut down recoil springs, this sounds cheaper and practicle but what should I cut it down to? Where can I find another spring to cut on so as not to mess up the original? ( heck- that may not be the original, that might be the whole problem! I dont know.)

Unread 04-28-2002, 10:58 PM   #2
Hugh
RIP

Default Re: 7.65 ammo

Bryan,

Start by cliping 1 coil at a time and firing after each "cliping". Fire with one cartridge in the magazine until the holdopen will do its job. Then you have the correct combination for that particular gun/ammo combo, unless you get to the point where the toggle won't return to battery before the holdopen catches it. In that case you will have to go to more potent ammo. If, after weakening the spring, you change to stronger ammo, you will have go to a stronger spring. Wolff sells a spring pak that contains a standard, a 10% weaker, and a 10% stronger spring.

If you are interested in rebarreling to 9mm, email me.

Unread 04-29-2002, 11:32 AM   #3
The Wizard
User

Brfore you go rebarreling have you tried the Finnisn 7,65 mm ammo from Samco Global Arms. I have not had any trouble with it. But if you do decide to rebarrel to 9 mm I would be interested in purchasing your 7,65 mm barrel if it is 120 mm long and has an unpitted bore.

The Wizard

PS I have some of the Finnish ammo. Might work something out to get you some.

Samco Global
Unread 04-29-2002, 01:09 PM   #4
unspellable
User

Yes, you can rebarrel. Probably not the best thing to do, better to horse trade for a 9 mm pistol if you decide on a 9 mm. I forgot what the rest of the pistol was, but I for one like 120 mm barrels in 7.65 mm so I'm sure I or somebody would want the whole pistol it if the rest of it is decent.

Don't muck with the original spring. Get a replacement spring and try tinkering with that. Wolfe sells a kit with three springs in it for about $19.

Winchester ammo is a bit hotter than Fiocchi. Then there is hand loading. More on this later, much much more. In general it would be preferable to have a load tailored to the gun that to modify an original spring or have the spring too light for a decent load. Better to have a second spring than cut up an original.

The number of turns on a spring is not the whole story as the diameter and temper oft he wire it is wound form make a difference. It may not be an original spring.

The whole question of recoil springs has been added to my agenda on getting to the bottom of loading the 7.65 cartridge. I"ve run across a number of references to cutting the spring. This implies there are guns out there with cut springs. It is a shame that the factory ammo has been downloaded to the point one has to modify the pistol to shoot it. Ruger has been kind enough to donate two recoil springs for my research project. This will avoid cutting the original spring on my P89.

I think some of the information that will be coming out of this project will prove useful to the 9 mm shooters as well.

unspellable

Unread 04-30-2002, 12:23 AM   #5
Clayton

Default .30 Luger bullets

Hello Rick,

I can find the brass with out much trouble. Where can you find FMJ .30 Luger bullets?

I've been searching for a couple of years now.

Thanks,

Clayton

Unread 04-30-2002, 01:28 AM   #6
Steve
User

Default Re: .30 Luger bullets

I do not use them for a Luger but Sierra has an 85gr round nose .308 dia #8005 that I use in my Mauser. Hornady also makes one but I do not have the details on it. I could not find them locally but ordered them directly from Sierra on thier webpage.

Unread 04-30-2002, 01:45 AM   #7
Thor
User

Old Western Scrounger carries 30 Luger 93 gr FMJ Hornady made bullets with cannelure. http://www.ows-ammunition.com/cgi-bin/catalog25/scan/se=BULLETS/se=HORNADY/mp=mfg_subprofile/va=sortby=description?fH4GUSSu;;105

Looks like they may be out of FMJ, but they have the equivalent Soft nose bullet

Unread 04-30-2002, 08:21 AM   #8
unspellable
User

At this point in time I am of the opinion that 0.3080 inches is undersized for the 7.65 mm Parabellum, but it is close enough to serve until we have a final answer. Being undersized is not as bad in a hardball as it is in a softpoint. The hard ball has no jacket across the rear and will more easily expand into the barrel diameter.

Once again, I am still soliciting barrel diameter measurements from any guns so chambered, Lugers or otherwise. At this point, I am surpised at how many non-Lugers have turned up chambered for this round. What is more, the non-Lugers are consistent with the Lugers in barrel diameter while the available bullets are not.

Once we have the authoritive answer on the correct diameter, is there enough interest to have one of the custom makers whip up a few?

unspellable