LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-28-2002, 05:53 PM   #1
peter

Default dwm or mauser?

I recently picked up this luger and would like to know if it was made by dwm or mauser and its approximate value....gun has grip strap markings l.sd.75 and has a cut out for the sear safety(removed) the gun is in 95% condition with a matching mag..it has a waa66 proof on the right receiver no others that I can see...I presume it is a police gun..any info would be appreciated...thanks..

Unread 04-28-2002, 06:12 PM   #2
Thor
User

Default Re: dwm or mauser?

Kind of like a police sneak, Jan Still calls a 29 DWM. Police grip strap, I would guess the "I" was actually an "L" and stood for Landjagerei (rural constable) "sd" Stralsund, see Weimar Lugers, pages 31,32, 33 & 151

Unread 04-28-2002, 06:41 PM   #3
Roadkill
User

Default SD = Sicherheitsdienst ? (EOM)

Unread 04-28-2002, 07:24 PM   #4
peter

Default Re: SD = Sicherheitsdienst ?

thor has got it right...sd..straslund...L..landjagerie..thanks

Unread 04-28-2002, 07:34 PM   #5
Roadkill
User

You are the pros, no dissention on my part. Question, did the NSDAP hierarchy with the exception of the totenkopf ever mark their hardware? IE runes? I'm not a pro to that era but I've not seen an indicator designating the Waffen SS, the SD, the SA, Gauleiters, ect on guns like their daggers (SA, Rohm, SS,) Just curious.

Roadkill

Unread 04-29-2002, 01:14 AM   #6
mlm

The NSDAP marked a few 7.65 pistols with party markings. Some are marked with such things as SA Gruppe Nordland, RFV, or NSFK which are political or administrative organizations. The combat caliber pistols (9mm) don't have such markings, only police or military unit markings. No SS or SD markings, for all practical purposes.

That describes 99% of pistol markings during the 3rd Reich. There may be a few exceptions but not worth noting. There are no SS, SD, or SA marked lugers, eg.

Unread 04-29-2002, 07:53 PM   #7
Joe
User

One of the 3 biggest lies in Luger collecting is that the letters SD on a Luger grip strap have something to do with the Sicherheitsdienst. These grip strap letters that are mostly observed are marked as: S.D.xxx. The are civil police unit markings for: Schutzpolizei [municipal police] Dusseldorf. Some dealers try to pass these S.D. Lugers off as Gestapo marked guns in order to inflate their value.

This particuler question concerns Landjagerei police markings which is different then the district of Dusseldorf.