LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-27-2002, 06:45 PM   #1
schwob
RIP

Default Absolute On Of A Kind Luger

Prepare yourselves for the absolute one of a kind Luger. I had a conversation, via the net with Ralph Shattuck. He tells me he has a mint, original, correct, matched 1902 Luger Carbine in 45 ACP caliber. He has it on consignment and will be posting pictures on his web page very soon. The asking price 1M, and why not. WOW=>!!!!!

Unread 04-27-2002, 07:28 PM   #2
the Shadow

Default KrauseWerke ? (EOM)

Unread 04-27-2002, 07:59 PM   #3
Johnny Peppers
User

Default Re: KrauseWerke ?

Maybe Mikey has been working overtime.

Unread 04-27-2002, 09:18 PM   #4
the Shadow

Default KrauseWerke

He does BEAUTIFUL work!

The Shadow Knows. !!

hehehehehehehehehe

Unread 04-27-2002, 11:56 PM   #5
Ralph E Shattuck

Default Re: KrauseWerke ?

Love it Gang. You keep on thinking all your Sweet thoughts.I have it, Frank and another Member have seen it. John D will have a Poor Photo of it. I took it Yes Virginia there is a Santa Claus and

a 45 LUGER, DWM CARBINE in 45. You will See First

shots of it SOON. NO MIKE DIDN'T MAKE IT. ENJOY when you can the Pictures. Ralph

Unread 04-28-2002, 12:28 AM   #6
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Yup, It sure was pretty . . .

I almost hesitate to tell you I had that lovely Luger in my grubby little paws. It was just about perfect!! A few very small scratches, but boy what a thrill. I asked Ralph if I could put it on lay way. Maybe my Great-Great Grandson would be able to pick it up

It was "GL" marked on the back end of the toggle and the wood and checkering is flawless. The grips are a little "thicker" to accommodate the .45 Caliber.

I had to pay Ralph my normal "drool" fee!!

Unread 04-28-2002, 08:41 AM   #7
Luke
User

Default Luger of the Month for May ??? :) (EOM)

Unread 04-28-2002, 10:31 AM   #8
Wm. "Pete" Ebbink

Default Being Skeptical...

I understand the need to be diligent and very skeptical when a "one of a kind" luger shows up.

But is it appropriate to automatically assume such a carbine cannot be "real" and must have been recently fabricated ?

Is it not possible the largest luger dealer, Mr. Shattuck with his connections, might have actually found such a treasure ?

I am sure this luger would be available for inspection by the "experts" to validate its authencity or to challendge it...

I was just a bit disappointed to read some of the Forum members' responses that assumed it must be a Krausewerk's manufacturer; without first seeing the luger in photos or in person in Peoria...

When a luger is presented on the Message Board for valuation and to determine if it is real or not, we typically always see Forum Members asking for more info. and photos before "passing judgment".

Why haven't some of us extended Ralph this same courtesy ?

Unread 04-28-2002, 10:45 AM   #9
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Good Point, Pete . . .

In fact, Ralph did mention that Charlie Kenyon was making a special trip to Arizona to photograph the pistol and perhaps write an article on it.

Unread 04-28-2002, 11:21 AM   #10
Thor
User

Default Re: Good Point, Pete . . .

AND..... Ralph has found other Luger treasures before that were authenticated. If anybody could do it, it would be Ralph. Thor

Unread 04-28-2002, 03:09 PM   #11
Brandon Metcalf

Default Re: Good Point, Pete . . .

Ya know I think Ralph could tell the difference between a Mike Krause production and a DWM produced Luger a mile away! I can't wait to see the pics!!!!!

Brandon

Unread 04-28-2002, 05:51 PM   #12
Tracy

Default Re: Yup, It sure was pretty . . .

Boy that stack of Dollar bills on Ralphs wall must really be building up. You probably made the down payment on that Luger with your drool pay.

Unread 04-28-2002, 07:59 PM   #13
66mustang

Default Carbine .45

Well I just got in a bit ago and on my way back from Texas, I stopped at Ralph's picked up my Dutch Luger and saw his .45 carbine.

I have several quick photos of the .45 Carbine, they were taken quick with a flash, but they are pictures of her.

It has GL in the right places, matching number on stock and magazine. I also took pictures of the empty magazine next to a 9mm magazine.

And yes, I held it and was impressed!

Ralph wouldn't let me take it out for a spin...

I'll post pictures later, and although no expert, in direct sunlight it looks mint, but old and original. This will cause a major stir in the Luger world and I actually held it,

Ed

Unread 04-28-2002, 08:53 PM   #14
Thor
User

Default Re: Carbine .45

WHERE.......did it come from???? Ralph said it was a consignment piece. Where has this beauty been hiding all these years???? Thor

Unread 04-28-2002, 09:38 PM   #15
Brandon Metcalf

Default Ohhhhhhh COOL!

You must be on Ralph's highly regarded list! How I envy you! So did it feel good in your hands?!

You lucky dog!!!

Best Regards,Brandon

Unread 04-28-2002, 10:43 PM   #16
66mustang

Default Those hands were a-shaking!

Very cool, my wife (bless her heart), even said, oh that is really cool!

Ralph was very nice, showed my wife and I all over, explaining many things to her and helping me out,

But, back to the Carbine, very nice, looks completely original, pics in a minute.

Ed

Unread 04-28-2002, 11:04 PM   #17
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

OK - a little insight...

This piece has been hiding in a Northwestern state, since it was handed down from a grandfather. Yes, it is original. No - it is not a "recent" creation from the Mike Krause "werkes". Yes, it is a consignment piece. Yes, Mike now knows of this piece - and no it is NOT one of his creations (ask him - try doing a little research). Yes, it is an original piece. Yes, I'll have a bunch of pics as well shortly. No, it is not a fake - and the Shadow sure "DOESN'T know", in this case (one for the truth rather then speculation - huh, "Shadow"?). Yes - several "noted" authors will be coming in to inspect as well - and do a feature.

Any other questions??? (Gawd - you folks slay me - everything is a "fake" unless you can either afford it, or know of a certain piece first hand. Give me a break. "Collectors" have come to that level? Good for you.)....

Oh - and yes - Ralph, after half a century in the business - should be able to tell a fake. I wish I knew as much about Lugers as he has forgotten...

Just my $0.0000000002

Unread 04-28-2002, 11:33 PM   #18
youdon'twant to know

Default Re: Those hands were a-shaking!

What a coincidence!

I just purchased a 1902 luger Carbine in .50 caliber 2 days ago at a local thrift store. It is a special Sniper edition with a 3 foot barrel and a word "georgie" engraved in scroll on the left side of the barrel. It looks and feels original and comes in a wooden box (same name engraved on the lid), accessories and a holster(!). It has been already authenticated by all major luger collectors and dealers.

Unfortunately, it is not for sale, since it is even larger caliber than Ralph's .45 carbine. And, as you know - bigger IS better.

I will, however, consider a trade for a Rare, One of a Kind Howitzer Luger in 4 inch caliber, if you provide the delivery. Happy Collecting!

Unread 04-28-2002, 11:42 PM   #19
bill m
User

Interesting piece and there must be a very interesting story that goes with this? Would love to hear it! As rare and as valuable as this piece has been for the last 50 years you would have thought someone would have seen it or told about it before now? -- I wonder if anyone has compared the cuts and tooling marks to the Aberman 45 to determine if the production marks, cuts, and tool marks are exactly the same? I would think that this piece would have been made at the exact same time as the other 45's, only this one was made into a carbine, and all the tooling would be exactly the same, but I'm just guessing? It will be interesting to learn more about it and learn just how they plan to authenicate it! -- As John D. stated in an ealier post about Krieghoff's, I would imagine that a comparision with the Aberman 45 would be a must! Hope we hear more about it. -- bill m

Unread 04-29-2002, 12:14 AM   #20
Murray

Default It has happened before!!!

Last year my wife and I had the great honour to spend a morning at Ralph and Nancy's home at Peoria. It was, for a 30 year Luger collector like me, one of the greatest days of my life.

I saw and handled Lugers I had only read about in Kenyon and Still.I had come halfway round the world to see such things. Ralph was unassuming as he took the time to personally show Jan and me some of his treasures.

If the doubters amoungst you took the time to read R.L. Wilson's second price guide to gun collecting 1999 you will see on page 211 (Colour insert) another great find of the century, a Model 1851 Colt Navy number 14332/. It is the earliest known and undoubtedly the first of Samuel Colt's exquisite gold inlaid commissions and even features a gold inlaid bust of the inventor himself.

It was found here in New Zealand by a close friend of ours, a gun collector and dealer of the same class as Ralph, here in new Zealand, Mr Raymond John Carvell, who found it in a deceased estate. Many so called Colt experts scoffed at it as a fake as it looked too good to be true, but it was the real McCoy and was sold back to the USA for the princely sum of US$550,000.00. So, good on you Ralph, keep up the good work.

Murray and Jan Willis,

Great Barrier Island.

New Zealand.