LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-26-2002, 05:15 PM   #1
Toad
New User

Default German WWII bringback Luger value

I have a friend who just got a WW2 Luger that his stepfather had taken off of a dead german officer in WW2. I haven't seen it yet, so I don't know about the condition, but it is in the original holster, and I don't think it has been fired since the war. Any idea as to the value? Anything in particular that I should look for on the gun (markings, etc.) that might make it a more rare variant?

He was originally going to keep it, but now he is talking about maybe selling it.

Thanks-I am ignorant about Lugers.

Unread 04-26-2002, 05:46 PM   #2
Orv Reichert
RIP

Default Check your email

We need a lot more info to make an informed judgement on the value.

I have emailed a form to you...send it back and I will try to tell you what you have and the value

Orv Reichert

Unread 04-27-2002, 08:12 PM   #3
mlm

Default Re: German WWII bringback Luger value

Hi,

I see you are trying to establish the value of a luger in its holster. Others will probably give you a valuation for the luger. I specialize in holsters so if you get it in your hands, note the markings on the holster (may be inside lid and very faint and hard to read) and the condition of the holster. If it is dry and stiff but scuffed, that is the best condition. If it has been shoe polished, softened (made supple) with soaps, oils or creams, has damaged stitching or replaced belt loops, it is less valuable (probably $100 or less). If dry, stiff and unmessed-with, the value is probably $150 on up (and can go up to $1200).

The luger itself is probably worth on order of $900-1200 but condition is important and if it was stored in the holster not properly greased/oiled for 60 years it may be in poor condition. Whatever you do, don't shoot it unless you switch the grips (the right one is extremely fragile with age and both are likely numbered to that single gun) and carefully inspect the overall gun for soundness. One shot could knock $1000 off the gun's value if something is damaged.

Dave

holster guy and luger collector