LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-26-2002, 11:23 AM   #1
S. Allen

Default VOPO Lugers...what IS the real story?

I own a 1918 Erfurt Parabellum with an EG replacement barrel and all matching numbers, except the magazine. Judging by the almost non-reflective all blued finish and the bakelite grips with the bullseye and the star mark on the frame, it is an East German re-work. this is one of the pistols that Aim was selling a few years ago and is a fantastic shooter for the 350 bucks I paid for it at the time.

I have often heard of these as "Russian captures" as well as "Vopo Lugers".

Does anyone really know the story behind a pistol like mine? Was it a WWI issue piece that was captured by the Russians during WWI? Were these re-issued to police or Wehrmacht soldiers during WWII and captured at that point in time? Mine has no swastika or Nazi proofs or police markings - does this mean it was not used by the German forces during WWII?

Does anybody know the timeframe when the East Germans re-worked these pistols?

Although this WAS an EG issue piece, I am very interested in finding out more about the origins/story behind these pistols, but I have heard so many stories...who is right?

I know these are kind of the "red-headed stepchild" of Lugers, but I am hoping that someday they will come into their own as collector pieces. Just as the Nazi-marked stuff represents a time we will likely never see again, so does the time period of East Germany and the iron curtain...right?

Anybody know the real story of the Vopo Lugers?

Thanks,

-SA

Unread 04-26-2002, 11:55 AM   #2
Orv Reichert
RIP

Default VOPO guns

About the time we got involved in Korea, the Russians set up an army in the DDR. They called it a PEOPLES POLICE which is what Vo Po stands for. [Like us, they did not want to call it an Army!]

We know that they were reworking guns during the 1953 period as they dated many of the barrels they used for replacements.

Holsters were made up to accommodate the T-33-P38-P08 and all three were issued, I am told.

Like the American rework programs for the 1911.. these are legitimate guns. They will never, however, bring as much money as one that was not reworked.

Orv Reichert

Unread 04-26-2002, 03:24 PM   #3
BCC

Default Re: VOPO guns

I mostly agree with Orv. I thought that there was a distinct difference between the East German police (VOPO) and the East German Army...at any rate both used the Luger to some degree, esp. in the early years.

There is a difference in the "Russian Captures" and the ones from the East German "forces"...technically they were all captured by the Russians....because the won the war and redistributed the weapons to their satellite "friends".

I believe that the true Russian re-work capture P.38s and Lugers (as well as the 98k's and their weapons of WWII like the Svt40's etc...) were reconditioned between about 1946 and 1955 or so. I do not believe that the so-called dip blue re-works had anything to do with making them more attractive of import in the 1990's...I could write a fair size article to support this opinion...but I will spare everyone.

Your WWI vintage Luger was no used in WWII and captured or surrendered and put back into service with the East German Forces...at least an estimated 100,000 to 150,000 WWI era Lugers saw continued service (or at least many of these were held in reserve storage) for the period of 1919-1945. Every 1911 45 cal. I saw and used in the Army was at least 40 years old...the Germans were doing fine to only have to use some 20-25 year old Lugers in WWII.

The folks may be right about the reduced value of the VOPO Lugers but I could surprise many of you with some of my 30 year old Luger price list from the two largest dealers in the US and show you that VOPO Lugers brought more than "regular" Lugers in those days.

Also I believe Buxton even suggested adding about 10% to the value of P.38's bearing East German marks and re-work signs back in the early and mid-70's!

Funny how attitudes and perspectives change!

Unread 04-26-2002, 03:27 PM   #4
BCC

Default Re: VOPO guns (EOM)

Unread 04-26-2002, 03:31 PM   #5
BCC

Default erata sheet for my first post

As usual my hands were working faster than my brain.

I meant to say that without a doubt, your WWI Luger was used in WWII. Also any Lugers that were in "hidden" stores between the two wars were re-issued during the Third Reich era. You have a very historical Luger which in effect maps out the major course of World History for the Entire 20th century! It is all captured in the markings and reworking of that pistol...including the import stamps which denote the fall of the "iron curtian" and opening up to the west.

Unread 04-26-2002, 03:35 PM   #6
BCC

Default Re: erata sheet for my first post

I just caint stop on this! Your Luger being 1918 dated could not have been captured by the Russians in WWI. They pulled out of the War in 1917.

Unread 04-27-2002, 12:57 PM   #7
RA

Default Re: VOPO Lugers...what IS the real story?

Don't feel that your VoPo Luger is inferior.It was in service from time of manufacture till it was mustered out and you came into possession of it. I can kick myself for not buying a VOPO when I had the chance. 25 years ago when I aquired my first Luger (it was a 1920 commercial)that particular model was at the bottom of the heap and disdained by collectors, now there going at about the same price as others. Quality P-08's were available then at a price (1917 DWM 99% $330.00)

Today the VOPO is not well regarded but it is still a Luger!! Enjoy your purchase and remember that all production Lugers are common with exceptions, supply and demand controls the price. Questions and Answers section of AMERICAN RIFLEMEN had a small article on VOPO Lugers some 5 years back, I saved the article but it is not dated. Good luck

Unread 04-27-2002, 02:49 PM   #8
MikeP
User

I agree with the idea of true VOPO-"Volkspolizei" Lugers as legitimate variations- They are government reworks and issues. I would put higher desirability of original parts in my hierarchy.

Too bad a lot of these were "restored" or altered as they were considered non-collectable.

Indeed funny about changes. I have mentioned before about "Black Widows" being the bottom of the list before somebody made up the name.

Unread 04-27-2002, 04:26 PM   #9
Kyrie
User

Hi Folks!

The Volkspolizei, or â??VoPoâ? Lugers, are a subset of East German Lugers. East Germany reworked many Lugers, and some of these reworks went as foreign military aid, some went out for commercial sale, and a few were issued to the VoPo.

VoPo Lugers are only those Lugers with VoPo property markings. East German Lugers are those with East German proof marks.

Hope this helps!

Warm regards,

Kyrie