LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-23-2002, 08:40 AM   #1
Jim Van Eldik
User

Default Joachen Peiper

Folks,

For my second book I'm doing a comparative command study that includes Joachen Peiper. I'm looking for tidbits on the guy, especially his early years. I'd especially like some family or early companion inputs if any of our German friends know of any sources here. This will be a technical study and will not deal with moral issues. Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim

Unread 04-23-2002, 02:27 PM   #2
BCC

Default Re: Joachen Peiper

Jim, As you know Peiper would be about 90+ years old if he was still alive, I doubt that many/any real contempories are still around and lucid. There are several hefty references in the last decade or so. Some are fantastic...others less so. One (name escapes me) cost about $90.00 and weighs about 4lbs. It covers everthing about him and his family history just short of what he had for breakfast everyday! I think if you go to one of the better military book sites and do a search this recent publication will show up.

Unread 04-23-2002, 09:18 PM   #3
Roadkill
User

Default Re: Joachen Peiper

He would ride a motorcycle into combat along with his tanks and direct them personally into the battle line, and hide behind them when the shooting got too hot.

Roadkill

Unread 04-23-2002, 09:23 PM   #4
Brandon Metcalf

Default Man! Talk about guts!!! (EOM)

Unread 04-23-2002, 09:41 PM   #5
Roadkill
User

Default Re: Man! Talk about guts!!!

Wars create warriors, true warriors somehow remain untainted by the politics of war. Peiper was created by the times, the German war machine (not the Nazi, he was Waffen SS )created the environment which promoted a man with his talents in war to the status he acheived. His soldiers worshiped him because of the risks he took, he called them "meine junge" (my boys), and somehow survived the post war politics of the Candadian massacre at the Falise Gap in July (?)1944 and also the Malmedy massacre in a deservedly anti German environment. Warriors respect true warriors even on opposite sides. Peiper had this respect from combat soldiers. Read about Hans Von Luck, he fought in every Campaign from Africa with Rommel, the Eastern Front, then in the West.

Another true warrior.

Roadkill

Unread 04-23-2002, 09:49 PM   #6
Brandon Metcalf

Default Very True Roadkill! (EOM)

Unread 04-23-2002, 10:02 PM   #7
BCC

Default Kurt Meyer

Roadkill, not to dispute you but I think you are talking about Kurt Meyer concerning the motorcycle exploits. Both were about the same age and from the same Division. Both also were sentenced to long prision terms for their alleged involvement in "war crimes". Both had their sentences communted or in some legal ruling way shortened. I'm not aware of any proven involvement these officers had either personally or by giving orders to effect any improper conduct, however being in the wrong place at the wrong time and in the wrong job played a big part.

Unread 04-23-2002, 10:05 PM   #8
Matt
User

I think Joachim Peiper, if I'm not getting him mixed up with someone else, was killed in a suspicious house fire in France in the mid 1970s. An empty rifle was found beside his body. French authorities never solved the crime, but it was speculated it was done by former members of the French Resistance settling an old score.

Unread 04-23-2002, 10:07 PM   #9
Roadkill
User

Default Re: Kurt Meyer

You are right, that was Panzer Meyer. I got them mixed up. Now only I if rememember name the one right could time the most better I be would.

llikdaoR

Unread 04-23-2002, 10:10 PM   #10
Roadkill
User

That I've read also, but I sure have them mixed up. Wasn't it Peiper at the Battle of the Bulge?

Roadkill

Unread 04-23-2002, 10:14 PM   #11
BCC

I think he was killed in July, 1976 in Traves France. The most extensive research I have read,points the finger at local French communist (this would of course not exclude resistance members either former or during the war)but I don't think it had anything to do with an old score. Pipier was married to a French citizen and had gotten along well there for many years. His body was found in the burnt ruins of his home as were several spent cartridges from his weapons....there was for a time a report of an un-identified hand (from one of his attackers!) also being found in the ruins...but this report seems not to be confirmed.