LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-22-2002, 12:42 AM   #1
Don
User

Default OT: PLEASE FORGIVE ME,

but I bought a stainless gun! At least it's not an AIMCO Luger. It's a Sig 226 S -- a stainless target version of the regular 226 9mm. I've never owned a stainless gun before, and I searched through the manual for a recommended lubricant, but there wasn't one. The factory appears to have used 2 different lubricants. The barrel & part of the trigger assembly are smeared with a white grease, but the slide has a clear lubricant. What would you guys recommend? (I use "Breakfree CLP" and "Breakfree Lubricant & Preservative" on my good old carbon steel Lugers and other guns.) Thanks, guys.

Unread 04-22-2002, 12:59 AM   #2
Thor
User

Default Re: OT: PLEASE FORGIVE ME,

Brownells sells a RIG grease specifically for Stainless Steel. I always liked the 229 myself, I would love to get one in 357 Sig

Ted's Luger Strawing Service
Unread 04-22-2002, 07:49 AM   #3
JuergenG
User

Don, CLP should do fine. Same as the RIG grease recommended by Thor.

Aren't these Sig Sauer (now again under their old name J.P. Sauer & Sohn as SIG have bailed out) nice and reliable pieces ?

I own a 220 S Target in .45 ACP and wouldn't want to miss it any more. It's placed right next to my byf 41 in the safe.

Juergen

Unread 04-22-2002, 09:30 AM   #4
Neil

Send me an addresss and I'll send you a sample of our Kellube. It is a pure synthic which works.

Neil

Unread 04-22-2002, 10:32 AM   #5
Dok
RIP

I own a SIG P232 (.380) in blue, but wish I'd bought the stainless. I love it, it's a great gun, very reliable and very acurate.

Dok

Unread 04-22-2002, 11:30 AM   #6
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

I have an Aimco SS and use Breakfree CLP and Tetra Gun Grease on the sliding parts.

Lonnie

Unread 04-22-2002, 12:22 PM   #7
Marvin
User

Don,

I have used all different type greases and any good quality HIGH PRESSURE grease will work! But, I receommend the that you give the syhnthetic lubricants a try. Neil Keller has graciously offered to send you a sample and I do recommend his grease. The KELLUBE is fantastic! It is high pressure, does not attract dirt as bad as regular grease, and will not let the stainless "gale" with itself. Only a small amount is needed to wrok effectivly. You will love the synthetic grease better than any other you have tried.

For years, I use a synthetic grease on my M-14 Nat. Match rifle and never had any problems. Oh yea, it is far more heat resistant too.

Marvin

P.38 Forum
Unread 04-22-2002, 12:37 PM   #8
Don
User

Juergen & Dok

Yep, I think I'm reallly gonna enjoy the Sig. Apparently a Swiss design, but manufactured in Germany. First Sig I've owned, and I just shot it for the first time Sunday. Far more accurate weapon than I am a marksman. I'll never be able to blame bad shooting on the gun! It's like lifing a dumbbell -- weighs 43 oz. Instead of a muzzle break, like the .45 Sig target model, this design apparently relies on the extra heft to reduce recoil.

Unread 04-22-2002, 03:15 PM   #9
MarkC
User

Please don't think I am NUTS when I tell you this but, I use Mobile 1 Synthetic 10/30 grade motor oil. I have a few machine guns and all the the serious guys at the range use it and swear by it on their weapons. It is the same stuff (synthetic oil) but comes in a quart jug for less $$$.

Unread 04-22-2002, 03:36 PM   #10
Marvin
User

Mark,

I definetly do not think you are crazy using the synthetic oil on the machine guns, and I would do the same thing. The only difference here is that the stainless steel will tend to "gall" if not properly lubricated with a high pressure grease. The oil will tend to "squeeze" out more than the grease will. Although I think the synthetic grease is the besst to use, I have been using high pressure lithium grease from the Army (Artillary Grease) on my M1A since I could not locate a good synthetic grease. Then Neil came along and I found out about his great grease.

Marvin

P.38 Forum
Unread 04-22-2002, 04:28 PM   #11
Wm. "Pete" Ebbink

Default Tetra...

Don,

I have several AMT back-ups in S/S and some Ruger S/S revolvers.

Have used Tetra products on these exclusively since the guns came of of their factory boxes and the guns look and operate as they are brand new...

Unread 04-22-2002, 10:12 PM   #12
Don
User

Default Neil, I tried your e-mail

address & it didn't work -- at least the one appearing with your posting. I'd very much like to take you up on that offer! Thanks

Unread 04-23-2002, 08:41 PM   #13
Neil

Don,

Kellers@mchsi.com

A little about info about lubricants. When we started the Kellube project I got some real suprises. The one that impressed me the most was the fact that rotating and sliding parts creat differrent lubricant needs. I assumed that that a lubricant was just fine in either application.

Just like lubes are formulted for diffenent load characteristics, so are they for rotating ang sliding.