LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-21-2002, 06:54 PM   #1
dave_j
User

Default Matched shooter and other questions

I am looking over several ads for lugers and I have a couple of questions: What is a matched shooter? When it says..Vg bore, matched-Does that mean all matching numbers? What does matched mag mean? If the descripion does not say matched-does that mean it is not matching? Of the different manufacturers-which is the most available, ie probbably a lower price? Is a military more expensive than a commercial-all other things equal? Is it unheard of to find a matching original finish luger from a collector/ dealer for under $700?

Thanks

Unread 04-21-2002, 07:40 PM   #2
Roadkill
User

Default Re: Matched shooter and other questions(long)

Dave I'm new to this also so I know how you feel. It is daunting. Lugers were made with every part serial numbered to each gun to include two magazines and sometimes holster. The ultimate goal of a purist Luger collector is to obtain a completely matching gun with magazines and holster in mint condition. Regretfully, matching means different things to different dealers. Either the dealer is reputable beyond reproach (and there are still problems) or you take it completely apart and check the numbers. If a gun is matched the seller always says so, it is a sell point that is 40=50% more value in the gun. DWMs and Erfurts seem to be most available, also Mauser commercial models. It is not easy to find an origonal very good finish matched gun w/magazine for under $1000-$1200. And much more depending on the make. Read this forum daily, all I know about Lugers has come from here and I'm very new. These guys are great. And Lugers don't have hammers.

Roadkill

Unread 04-21-2002, 08:47 PM   #3
Kyrie
User

Default Re: Matched shooter and other questions

Hi Dave,

Generally speaking, a Luger must be all original (as indicated by matching numbers) except for the magazine, unaltered, not be refinished, and have at least 60% remaining original blue to have collector value.

A â??matched shooterâ? is a Luger with all its original parts and has been refinished, or has less than 60% blue, or has been altered in some way.

â??Matching magâ? means the serial number on the magazine matches the serial number on the frame.

If the description does not say, â??matchingâ?, assume the Luger is not matching.

Manufacturer generally has no effect on a Lugerâ??s value, unless the manufacturer made very few Lugers. Then the scarcity of the Luger variation drives up the collector value of the Luger.

It is not unheard of to buy a matching, original finish, Luger from a dealer for under $700 - but such pistols are usually right at the borderline between shooter and collector (about 60% original finish). Every now and then one can find a real bargain (I bought a 99%+ original blue, matching, 1940 dated, 42 coded, Luger with an excellent condition Portuguese M2 holster from a dealer for $600); but it doesnâ??t happen often!

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Kyrie

Unread 04-21-2002, 10:55 PM   #4
dave_j
User

Thanks Roadkill and Krie. WOW that really helps. I will keep watching this forum. Can you steer me to some ogf the best dealers for me to get an idea on description and price so I know what is out there? Thanks

Unread 04-22-2002, 11:50 AM   #5
Dok
RIP

Have a look in our Links & Resources to the left, where you will find links for several well known and reasonably reputable dealers.

Recognise that no matter how wonderful anyone feels a certain dealer is, and what a great experience they had, your mileage may vary. Ask questions about dealers, but take the answers as input only, do your own due diligence, it's a dangerous world out there, be careful.

Welcome to the Luger Forum Dave, take time to read through the site, there's lots of valuable information sprinkled around for you to find. I recommend your reading the Forum Decorum document, which is in the General Info section, and a link to whick is at the top of the page.

Have fun, come back often.

Dok (Webmaster)