LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-19-2002, 12:22 PM   #1
Chuck M

Default Looking for repro Stock iron & Navy rear sight

Any leads or help would be appreciated. If there is a good set of drawings even of the rear sight, that would be good too.

Thanks,

Chuck

Unread 04-19-2002, 01:07 PM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Good luck on the rear sight Chuck

They generally go for several hundred dollars when auctioned... I think the last one I saw went for about $700.

A complete Artillery Luger repro stock including the stock iron is available here:

http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=726270C&chrSuperSKU=726270

If you buy the artillery repro stock just to get the iron, and you don't want the wood piece because it doesn't go with a Navy Luger, I might consider taking it off your hands... let me know.

for an original iron you might try Tom Heller or Ralph Shattuck...

I am not aware of anyone having a set of blueprints for the Navy rear sight assembly... If you manage to find them, I would appreciate a copy. I do have the Frank Rial's Luger blueprint CD if you need a piece of one for a specific project...

Caveat: If you are not aware of the legal implications of the National Firearms Act of 1934 and what is involved in legally stocking a Luger or for that matter any handgun, contact me off line and I will fill you in.

regards,

John Sabato

Unread 04-19-2002, 02:55 PM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Here are my best photos of the Navy Rear Sight..

And fellas, I am thoroughly familiar with the NFA of 1934 so don't worry about that, but thanks for your concerns.

Chuck M.

Unread 04-19-2002, 10:16 PM   #6
Neil

Default Re: Thanks guys! Keep it coming...see text

Just how much interest is there in Navy rear sights? I was approached a few years back to make the same, but at the time did not have the time. Things change. If I can get drawings or a sight to take dimns from I would be interest in making the same. Where do we go from here?

Neil

Unread 04-20-2002, 01:07 AM   #7
Thor
User

I am interested in a few!

Ted's Luger Strawing Service
Unread 04-20-2002, 03:33 AM   #8
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

My guess is that the interest in Navy rear sight toggles is roughly equal to the interest in a .45 cal. Luger. That is, lots!

--Dwight

Unread 04-20-2002, 09:59 AM   #9
neil

OK,

Any ideas where I might locate drawings or borrow a sight to make them?

Neil

Unread 04-20-2002, 03:47 PM   #10
neil

Default Re: parts?

Rick,

I've seen some drawings on the varius Luger parts, but never on the Navy sight. If I could get my hands on a sight I'd opt to get CAD drawings made and go from there.

Neil

Unread 04-22-2002, 02:17 PM   #11
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Rick, where have you seen drawings on Navy Sights?

I would be VERY interested in seeing them... and adding them to my collection of P-08 blueprints...

thanks,

John Sabato

Unread 04-23-2002, 03:59 AM   #12
Big Norm
RIP

Default This Thread Sickens Me

I am having a hard time even writting this message beause you people are disgusting me. What are going to do John Sabato, give lessons on how to space the serial numbers so that people can't tell a fake from an original Navy. Thor, are you going to volunteer to reblue and restraw without putting on your "special" mark that tells people that a cheap $200 shooter is a counterfeit. I could go on and on with all the rest of you. All that phoney integrity that all of you have tried to show for so long has just gone down the toilet. The only reason you play act like you have honesty is because you have not found and opportunity to cheat people and destroy the collectibility of a fine gun for some quick bucks. How I could ever have respected so many of you for so long is beyond me. I guess that in all your worlds being a counterfeiter and a fake is more fun than having a job. No wonder Tom Knox quit collecting Lugers. There are too many yahoos like you people around faking them. Personally, I don't think its funny. Don't get mad at me when, in the future, I remind you of your willingness to cheat unsuspecting potential Luger collectors. It will fit in with this forums decorum rule of first hand experience. I gotta get out of here before I throw up.

Big Norm

Unread 04-23-2002, 02:49 PM   #13
Thor
User

Default Re: Navy Rear sight

Neil, I am pretty excited about this project. I dont know how many people have asked for this kind of sight so they can have a Navy type shooter. There ARE people that lots of money and will buy an original NAVY and blaze away with it breaking parts, reducing the value, wearing away the finish. They have money, they dont care about preserving a piece of history. I am sure a few of the nice originals will be saved if we can make this happen. Thor

Unread 04-23-2002, 09:26 PM   #14
Neil

In response to big Norm. I do not know if you are for real with this post or just joking.

Having said that, there are those of us that can not afford the inflated price of Navies and the such. I believe that it is an honorable thing that some of us want to do in making a few Navies for our selves. I take pride in the fact that I have the knowledge and the skill to do this. I suspose that you also condem those of us that make Babies. I plan to put the GL logo on mine.

For your information, I also am going to make a Carbine for myself. I just can not justify $12 000.00 and up for a Luger Carbine. I have seen the works of John Martz and the lugers he has made. Are those fakes in your mind?

No, I do not believe that we are in any way trying to build fakes to dump on some unknowing purchaser. But in fact we are continuing the proud tradition of a few fine pistolsmiths that built the orginal Lugers.

Neil Keller

Unread 04-23-2002, 09:32 PM   #15
Thor
User

Put me in for a Carbine Neil, I cant see paying the inflated prices either, exactly why I bought a shooter K date! I am NOT reselling it! Thor

Unread 04-23-2002, 10:02 PM   #16
Brandon Metcalf

Default 1 Question

Are you guys going to make them totally original in appearance, Or put some kind of special marking on them to show they are indeed not original Navy Lugers? Just wondering

Brandon

Unread 04-23-2002, 10:10 PM   #17
Thor
User

Default Re: 1 Question-Thor's work

I have never marked individual parts, kinda gets cumbersome. I ALWAYS mark my reworked pistols on the bottom of the frame. I like to think it is my signature that I have worked on an ENTIRE pistol. If someone takes a small part I reworked and put it on a junker Luger, I dont want anyone seeing the marking to think I redid the Luger with poor quality work. That is why I do the frame when I do a complete pistol. Yes, that frame could end up on another Luger later, but I really dont have control of that either, but I keep records of which pistol I worked on and I keep pictures too in most cases. Thor

Unread 04-23-2002, 10:16 PM   #18
Brandon Metcalf

Default So these Navys will bear this marking? (EOM)

Unread 04-23-2002, 10:22 PM   #19
Thor
User

Default Re: So these Navys will bear this marking?

I have no idea, Neil is going to make the rear toggle sight, I would imagine they will be sold to individuals, I dont know his intentions on marking them. The only Navies that will have this mark are those that people will be putting together and they ask me to refinish the entire weapon. I can only speak for my work! Thor

Unread 04-23-2002, 10:26 PM   #20
Brandon Metcalf

Default Ohhhhh! I misunderstood, sorry about that! (EOM)