LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-14-2002, 05:01 PM   #1
Dok
RIP

Default [YOUR OPINIONS PLEASE]

On the left sidebar menu there is a link entitled "Luger Forum Centerfolds". This is where the Luger of the Month goes to live after its month on the Front Page.

Up till now only the pictures were available, which could be viewed full size by clicking on the thumbnail. The write-up that went along with that Luger for the month, has never been available after its moment in the sun.

I am now thinking about making that feature available, but only if you feel it is a valuable asset. A fair amount of work is involved, to go back and find all the past write-ups and make links for them. If you feel this would add value to the site, I will do it, otherwise the status quo will stand.

As an example of how the system will work, I have modified the Centerfolds page to include the write-up for the Luger of the Month for January 2001. Next to the month under the photo, you will see a small document icon. Click on the photo it will give you a close up of the photo, click on the small document icon and you will get the write-up for that pistol.

Let me have your opinions of this feature, and based on your feedback I'll make a decision.

Dok (Webmaster)

Unread 04-14-2002, 05:46 PM   #2
Hugh
RIP

Default Re: [YOUR OPINIONS PLEASE]

DOK,

I hope that you are not expecting a raise in your already exorbitant salary for these extra duties. Although it would be nice to be able to read about the guns pictured.

Unread 04-14-2002, 05:51 PM   #3
Brandon Metcalf

I would Like it! I know it has to be alot of work I wouldn't want to cause you too much hardship

so that was just an opinion.

,Brandon

Unread 04-14-2002, 05:55 PM   #4
Thor
User

Dok, I only read them on the month they are current so I guess I dont need the feature. der Thormeister

Ted's Luger Strawing Service
Unread 04-14-2002, 06:20 PM   #5
stup

They do make great reading for people when they first visit the forum.

Unread 04-14-2002, 06:47 PM   #6
Roadkill
User

I agree with Thor. Don't let something you do for fun turn into a chore so it gets to be such a hassel that you quit. This is a great site and I sincerely appreciate the effort folks like you put into it so idiots like me can have a perspective in a subject that would not be possible otherwise. And it keeps me out of the bars and strip clubs, sometimes.

Roadkill

Unread 04-14-2002, 07:07 PM   #7
schwob
RIP

Dok, your efforts are more appreciated by the 'regulars' than by the occasional reader. If you efforts become more labor than love then give it some extra thought about curtailing your efforts but...if your as proud of what is owned and displayed by the members of the Forum, by all means please continue your work. At a time in the future, when the $$ no longer approaches the amount of work we will understand if you tell us it's too much to do. I personally am grateful for your efforts, as I am sure are all those members that read and study this Forum will understand your decision. My little .02.

Unread 04-14-2002, 07:23 PM   #8
Tracy

Dok. As an alternate why don't you just start with the writeups on this month so you do not have to go back and look up the others. I guess that way future centerfolds would have the info about them. You do enough for us don't take the fun out by overloading yourself.

Unread 04-14-2002, 08:06 PM   #9
Dok
RIP

Default You make me smile... :)

How come I can NEVER get a raise??? Any other organization would gladly double my salary!! SHEESH! What a bunch of tightwads! This is the last time I do a job for NUTHIN'... NEXT TIME I'm gonna ask for at least DOUBLE that!!!

So enuff of all this talk about money, just decide on whether you want the feature, these cheapskates will NEVER pay me enuff!!

Dok

Unread 04-14-2002, 08:13 PM   #10
BILL
User

It is an excellent idea. Since I have always read the detailed description I remember them. I would be at a disadvantage if I hadn't been here long enough to have seen them all. An example is JD's threaded barrel Luger. If you don't know what it is all you see is a really nice Luger with an unusual front sight. I would think that the hardest part would be to create the links for the large number of pics that are already in the centerfold section. BTW, this is fast becoming the only Luger website on the net..because all the competition is blown away. Actually, it is the only place anyone with any sense would go to learn more about the Luger. It's up to you, but extra frosting on the cake is always a nice touch. As we acquire more Lugers of the month it would be nice to see what was said about them. (I think I am the minority opinion here).

Unread 04-14-2002, 08:32 PM   #11
66mustang

I agree with Bill and Tracy...

I think it is a good feature to be able to read about the write up, so there isn't just a pretty picture, but also information for the new guys in town. But like Tracy said, for right now, maybe just carry it forward? And then add one or two at a time later?

Ed

Unread 04-14-2002, 09:37 PM   #12
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Hey DOK...!

What a great idea!! I would vote "Aye!".. But, it is a lot of work, as you know.. Anyway - if you do decide to do it - there is an easy way to keep track of the covers that I use on my main website of http://www.rennlist.com - the trick is to make a new directory called "cover" - and each month, the cover page and photo are pulled from that directory. Each months new page is named something like "4-02cover.htm (and the grahics are named according to date as well.

Then - each month - just pull in the "new cover page to the "main" frame page, and at the same time, put the "old" link/thumbnail "as is" into the "centerfold" page...

Anyway - I like the idea - can you tell??!! And yes - you deserve a pay raise..!!! We can double your current salary - as 2 times "$0 still equals "$0" Doesn't seem fair - though

Seriously - thanks for the terrific job you do here....

Unread 04-14-2002, 11:54 PM   #13
Dan Clemons
User

Default I give the idea two thumbs up! (EOM)

Unread 04-14-2002, 11:59 PM   #14
Big Norm
RIP

Default You Mean There Are Writeups?? :D (EOM)

Unread 04-15-2002, 12:03 AM   #15
66mustang

Default Big Norm, do you just look at the pictures? :D

Unread 04-15-2002, 12:25 AM   #16
Hugh
RIP

Default Re: You make me smile... :)

DOK,

Do you think that just because you do such a fantastic job keeping this site up and monitoring it and spending half your time on it; it should be worth more MONEY? SHEEEEESH....... You ought to be paying us for the honor of being the caretaker of the number one Luger website on the WWW!

Unread 04-15-2002, 12:29 AM   #17
Hugh
RIP

Default OK, I give up!

I vote with John D to double DOK's salary. But do you realise the this is the third time in a year that we have doubled his salary?

Unread 04-15-2002, 12:30 AM   #18
Thor
User

Default Re: You make me smile... :)

We DO appreciate all you do Dok!! Thor

Ted's Luger Strawing Service
http://members.rennlist.com/lugerman/DSCN0605.JPG
Unread 04-15-2002, 07:49 AM   #19
Dok
RIP

Default Shhhhhh... don't tell everyone...

Big Norm can'y read!!!

Unread 04-15-2002, 07:51 AM   #20
Dok
RIP

Default Great Minds Think Alike, John D....

that's exactly how I'm doing it!