LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-14-2002, 05:18 PM   #1
Roadkill
User

Default need more help

My Police 1918 erfurt is acting up again. The new KKK mag using 62 Finnish ammo last week was very smooth, today would jam if over 3 rds were in mag. Would not feed Wolf at all, (no surprise), would feed only 3 rds of speer 115g fmj,the new mec-gar mag would not feed at all. My AC 44 p38 shot everything fast as you could pull the trigger. Break free penetrated five of the six the rounds in my webley .38 and the powder wouldn't ignite. The primer popped them out the barrel. This gun had been loaded under a counter for four months, new rem hp 38sw ammo. Don't wipe your bullets with break free. What's wrong with that Luger?

Roadkill

Unread 04-14-2002, 05:58 PM   #2
Hugh
RIP

Default Re: need more help

Grady,

To help with your feeding problem, we a detailed description of how the action is jamming.

As an aside; some Lugers are very prone to malfunctioning when fired with a "limp wrist". Are you keeping your arm stiff when shooting it?

Unread 04-14-2002, 07:41 PM   #3
Roadkill
User

Duh, That makes sense. The rounds come up at an angle that causes the bolt face to hit the cartridge about 1/3 up from the bottom of the cartridge, causing the bullet to jam into the top of the chamber. The rounds look like they are at about a 45' angle and jammed up tight. The action is smooth as glass, I've cut two loops off the mainspring, three rounds fire perfectly in the 3K mag, none feed with the mec-gar.

Roadkill

Unread 04-14-2002, 08:00 PM   #4
Thor
User

Typically I believe a WEAK main spring can cause this problem or a weak load! Thor

Ted's Luger Strawing Service
Unread 04-14-2002, 08:01 PM   #5
Thor
User

MEANT to say WEAK MAGAZINE SPRING, sorry! The main spring loop cut might help. Thor

Unread 04-14-2002, 08:37 PM   #6
Roadkill
User

But I'm using two brand new magazines! And last week it fired five like a sewing machine humming along. Its aggravating but I've dealt with worse things.Its the most accurate one I've got. How do you get the selector out? It kicks back halfway to safe when it fires. Could that have something to do with it?

Unread 04-15-2002, 01:42 AM   #7
Hugh
RIP

Default Re: selector?

Are we talking full auto pistol here?

To remove the safety lever, first remove the reciever (unloaded of course). Remove the left grip, there is a small pin holding the safety lever in that can be pushed out from inside the frame. Then the lever can be lifted out. Bend the thumbpiece in slightly to put more friction against the frame when the safety lever is moved.

If this doesn't solve the problem, I recommend getting a Luger spring pak from Wolff. It will contain three strengths of mainsprings, a standard, a lighter than standard, and a heavier than standard. With some experimenting, you should be able to find the right combination for your gun.

Unread 04-15-2002, 01:46 AM   #8
HÃ?Â¥kan Spuhr
User

Hi

If you remove the gripplates you will se a small hole where the pin that holds the safetylever is.

take that pin out and you will get out the safetylever.

Its fairly easy to bend and adjusting the safetylever so it no longer will jump back.

I belive all your problems comes from a overly stiff recoilspring, and you can start with installing the weakest of the wolf springs (36 lbs), if that doesnt helt cut a little bit of.

Regards HÃ?Â¥kan

http://www,vapensmedjan.com
Unread 04-15-2002, 01:55 AM   #9
Thor
User

Default Re: selector?

I think he was talking about the safety lever too. Sometimes when you put that retainer pin back in and turn it a mite, it will snug up some too! Every little bit helps. Thor

http://members.rennlist.com/lugerman/DSCN0605.JPG
Unread 04-15-2002, 02:18 AM   #10
Orv Reichert
RIP

Default breakfree?

It realy does not make sense to me that lubricating a bullet would make your powder fail to ignite?

Breakfree and WD40 usually makes the primers inert. Are you sure you had powder in the cases?

I have had to fix a bunch of guns that had the primers [only] put the bullet into the barrel and then they fired a hot one....bulgitus takes place at once! UGLY!

Orv Reichert

Unread 04-15-2002, 09:37 AM   #11
Roadkill
User

Default Re: breakfree?

Absolutely sure. The breakfree got on the cartridges through the cylinder. These were new cartridges four months in the gun.The propellant did not ignite but in one out of six.

Roadkill

Unread 04-15-2002, 10:24 AM   #12
Thor
User

WD 40 will do the same thing

Unread 04-16-2002, 11:58 AM   #13

Any gun oil will eventually do the same thing. My mother's 38 special was heavily oiled (kept in FL) while loaded for a number of years. When fired, the loaded rounds were squib loads, the bullets hit a target 2 feet low. All rounds did fire.