LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-07-2002, 03:43 AM   #1
dsk

Default New here, have a question

Some of you may know me from 1911forum.com. I finally decided I HAD to have at least one Luger. Since I don't have it in my possession yet all I can tell you is that it's a 1940 date Mauser, and appears to be original and matching except for the mag. I'll post more about it once I receive it. In the meantime, the question I have relates to aftermarket mags for shooter duty. Are the Mec-Gar any good? At the local show I also found some made-in-Holland stamped steel ones (plastic base) that looked to be made well. I also found one original WW2 mag which I picked up today in advance of receiving the pistol. I am just curious if the aftermarket ones work or if the originals are the only ones worth bringing home. TIA

Unread 04-07-2002, 03:53 AM   #2
Thor
User

Default Re: New here, have a question

The MEC-Gar are very good and I use them for firing Lugers more than the original mags. They were in very short supply a year or so ago but now are being produced again. They are made in ITALY ~Thor~

Unread 04-07-2002, 07:53 AM   #3
Marvin
User

dsk,

Welcome to the Luger Forum and please come back as often as possible! Most of the giys on this Forum are primarlily Luger collectors and shooters, but many are also into other pistols. So, come back with as many questions as as you want.

As Thor stated, the Mec-Gar Magazines were in short supply about a year ago and the factory stated they were making new tooling for the Luger mags. If this/was the case, they should be really high qquality magazines now. In the past, they were the best repro on the market.

I don't know about the Dutch magazine, but if you find the East German produced magazines, they are really top quality! The E. German mags have the black plastic bottom and are usually stamped with numbers like 2/1001 on the body. These run in the price range of approx $50-60 and well worth the price over an original wiis going for approx. $100 and up. The Mec-Gar mags retail for approx.each and you can find them on the auctin sites for less.

Good luck with your new Luger and give us the details when it is received.

Marvin

Unread 04-07-2002, 09:55 AM   #4
Dok
RIP

Welcome dsk to the Luger Forum. I have visited 1911forum.com and found it very interesting. I trust you will consider this your Luger home.

Dok (Webmaster)

PS: I think the 1911 is a fabulous pistol also.

Unread 04-07-2002, 11:15 AM   #5
R. Grady/Roadkill

Don't be shy here, I make a fool out of myself regularly. Recommend you wait until you have gun in hand before you get too many magazines. They are absolutely not like 1911s where you have a 95% of a magazine working regardless of types. I bought a KKK for $19.00 that took care of most of my feeding problems, have two others that will not work. One is a WWII origonal. (I shoot a 1911A1 Rem made in 1945. They are great guns)

Roadkill

Unread 04-07-2002, 01:39 PM   #6
mlm

Also use reproduction grips if you shoot your orginal luger. That will go far to protect the value of the luger as the orig grips are numbered uniquely to the gun and are very prone to crack and chip (especially right side--thin rib on back). Crack em and the pistol loses $200 in value.

Congratulations on your luger.

dm

Unread 04-07-2002, 02:18 PM   #7
dsk

Default Thanks for the comments

I wasn't aware that even the grips are numbered to the pistol. Before picking it up I'll have to bring along a screwdriver and check.

A Luger has always been at the top of my "things I don't need but want anyway" list. Having now collected a fair assortment of USGI 1911's I decided it was time to diversify a little. The sheer number of variations, and the proliferation of counterfeits had kept me well clear however. I chose the one I did because it is a late-production vanilla example, so it's relatively unlikely to have been professionally faked. The bluing is about 80%, thin only on the front strap, muzzle, and sideplate.