LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 02-27-2001, 07:33 PM   #1
EOC Bob
User

Default OT - P-38

Century Arms lists a "mint" condition P38 in their current flyer for $599.87. Ad states " This is the P38 you have been waiting for. These German Beauties are in mint condition! We're not kidding, they look like they came from the factory yesterday, matching numbers and crisp markings, and appear to have been unissued and stored since the day they were made." Is this possible, and are they worth the price? These are the same people that imported AIM's Lugers, and stamped the barrels hard enough to create internal damage to the bore. Hope they learned their lesson. Bob

Unread 02-27-2001, 08:05 PM   #2
Marvin
User

Default Re: OT - P-38

Bob,

I feel that they have been dip blued and that is what they are refering to as "mint" condition. The pistol is probably in perfect mechanical condition, but has the dip blue and import mark. You can buy a Mauser or Walther 1943 or 1944 pistol in 90-93% condition for less than $500. I would prefer the "un-dinked" with P.38 over Century's. The P.38 that had not been "dinked" with will be worth more in the future than the import marked one. A dealer would only want to give you $250-300 for the import marked one if you wanted to sell it and they would say they are difficult to sell. Now, the same dealer would be asking the same for this one as a common 1943 or 1944 P.38. My advice is to buy one that is not import marked and dip blued, the prices of the imports are too high to me.

marvin

Unread 02-28-2001, 04:36 AM   #3
Patrick
User

... or are they Bundeswehr P1s? If so they aren�´t really worth having. Patrick

Unread 02-28-2001, 06:36 AM   #4
Marvin Cook

There are also a number of the Austrian propery marked Bundesheer P.38s on the market now also. The prices of them are depressed below what I think is market value. The Austrian marked P.38s have a real history behind them from the Third Reich to the French ( a number of them) and them to see service again in the 1950s & 1960s.

Marvin

Unread 02-28-2001, 03:12 PM   #5
EOC Bob
User

I called my rep. at Century and they have not received these yet from the supplier, but they have evaluated several examples, and find them to be unaltered originals. However I also called another Dealer, and he cautioned to be wary, as he also had a chance at this lot and passed. I know a fellow in Century's warehouse that will tell me the true facts when they arrive. However, if they are as represented, they would truely be a find and well worth the money.

Unread 02-28-2001, 05:13 PM   #6
Hugh
RIP

Default BOB-let us know when you find out :) (EOM)