LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 02-24-2001, 10:43 AM   #1
Ted
User

Default Test #2 Answers

1. First Navy Model accepted OFFICIALLY by the Navy in 1904

2. 1914 Military Model (Kenyon)

3.1928 (Weimar Lugers)

4.DWM, Farsi Markings, Bulgarian Seal, S, Blank, Erfurt, Simson, Krieghoff Marking HK, Mauser Banner, byf, S/42,42

and a few others.

5. 1908 Bulgarian

6. Mauser Banner

7. Army Issue

8. Police Issue

9. Used as a manufacturing Jig

10. Sear Safety

11. Block Sear preventing accidental discharge during field stripping

12. DELETED FROM TEST

13. Early is rolled crimped, late is extruded.

14. Hole too small in magazine bottom.

15. Early coil type, late zigzag

16. Police Issue Magazine type 4 (Still)

17. World War II type had oil vents

18. To vent oil away from the firing pin face during pin

movement reducing the dampening of the firing pin blow hitting primer with more energy and reliability of firing.

19. (1) REmove grip screw, (2) load magazine (3) unload magazine (4) remove ejector (5) remove firing pin retainer pin

20. DWM, Erfurt, Simson, Mauser, Krieghoff

21. Well marking found inside of frames of 1900 US Test Luger (Harry Jones, Luger Variations) Marvin actually got this one right.

Unread 02-24-2001, 04:09 PM   #2
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default Re: Test #2 Answers #18? :|

Hi Ted, I have read that the firing pin relief slots were to facilitate gas relief in the event of a pierced primer....as a overly oiled firing pin would act as a piston and fracture the rear of the breechblock! Could be for both (or more) reasons, maybe? Excellent test questions Ted, I can tell you put some thought into it! till...later...G.T.

Unread 02-24-2001, 05:11 PM   #3
Ted
User

Hey, that is a good answer too, do you recall where you read it? Actually makes good sense to me! Thanks GT! Ted

Unread 02-24-2001, 05:46 PM   #4
Steve
User

Default Re: Test #2 Answers

21. BONUS QUESTION: (WORTH 5 POINTS, ALL OTHERS WORTH ONLY 1) WHAT IS A FLAMING BOMB PROOF?

21. Well marking found inside of frames of 1900 US Test Luger (Harry Jones, Luger Variations) Marvin actually got this one right.

Ted,

The answer to this question is not limited to just the Test Eagles. The flaming bomb ordnance mark can also be found on

Commercial model AE Lugers; not only in the well but also on the magazine bottom. Steve

Unread 02-24-2001, 07:23 PM   #5
Ted
User

Hey good deal Steve, thanks! Ted

Unread 02-24-2001, 08:49 PM   #6
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts

Hi Ted! I think it was in an old American Rifleman on how to make you Luger more reliable......When I was a young man I used to hang out in my fathers gun room, where he had all the American Rifleman mags from way back, late forties early fifties, I read them endlessly, cover to cover, thats probably where it came from, Sorry, I can't be more specific.......your test is turning out a lot of good info., pretty neat! till...later...G.T.

Unread 02-25-2001, 06:55 AM   #7
Marvin
User

You know, the test that Ted came up with has a lot of good information. There were some of the questions which I had no idea what the answer was and I learned something from the test. If you don;t have the chance to take the test, take it at a leter time and see what you know. Then learn from the answers. I have learned something new from both test so far and hope to learn something from the next one!

Marvin

Unread 02-27-2001, 10:28 AM   #8
tom heller

Default Re: Test #2 Question 21

I agree in part with the official answer and with Steve. This mark is indeed found in the TD lever well of the US test and other M1900 lugers. Therefore, it is not a US military added "flaming Bomb" Ordnance acceptance marking. It is rather just the assigned mark of a DWM inspector during this period. If you look closely, this marking is composed of a semi-circle atop a circle. This is one method of making the astrological symbol for Taurus the Bull (of which I am one). Both DWM and Mauser reused previously used acceptance dies (B in a circle from M06 Brazilian contract, Triangle in circle from M06 Portugese, etc) On LATER production pistols & rifles, as inspector identification, to wit, the triangle in circle on the rear frame of some M1910/14 Mauser 25acp pistols and B in circle on some 98K rifles. I've never seen this theory in print, but check it out yourself. Tom

Unread 02-27-2001, 06:43 PM   #9
Steve
User

Default Re: Test #2 Question 21

Taurus?? Me Too!!!!

Steve