LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 02-23-2001, 05:02 PM   #1
EOC Bob
User

Default Mainspring replacement

Shot my S/42 the other day using ammo from the same box that my DWM jammed/didn't load/didn't ****/didn't hold open on. S/42 functioned fine, so maybe it's time for a new mainspring on the DWM.

I have two that I bought from SARCO, one is a little longer than the other. What is the best way to effect a change, and which one should I use? Thanks Bob

Unread 02-23-2001, 06:05 PM   #2
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Bargin Ammo

EOC Bob, I tried some of the ammo in my Swan and it worked just great. The Swan is pretty finicky, but it ate that ammo up and spit it out. It has never been a more reliable pistol. I'll do the same with my byf when I get it back from Ted.

Unread 02-23-2001, 06:53 PM   #3
Ted
User

Default Re: Mainspring replacement

Read the FAQ, I have added my version of the main spring replacement procedure I do! I put one in Doks Luger a couple of nights ago! Ted

Unread 02-23-2001, 08:12 PM   #4
EOC Bob
User

Default Re: Bargin Ammo

Hi Frank, I was using Remington UMC. The S/42 likes it fine, but the DWM doesn't care for much of anything including Federal, Winchester, and Wolf. S/42 is relable with most of these. What ammo are you using? Best regards Bob

Unread 02-23-2001, 08:17 PM   #5
EOC Bob
User

Default Re: Mainspring replacement

Thanks Ted, I had checked there but didn't scroll down far enough, just wanted to smoke you out anyway. I'm going to try your procedure, if it works your going to get it on your next available rebuild phase, if it doesn't work your going to get it anyway. Don't expect anything grand, it's just another 1921 DWM. Best regards Bob

Unread 02-23-2001, 08:39 PM   #6
EOC Bob
User

Default Oh yes

Based on my original post, which spring would you use, the long or short. I think SARCO marketed the longer as "heavy duty". The shorter came in a spring kit. The problems I described with the DWM seem like a spring with too much tension. ie - not chambering a round, and not cocking the pistol as if the toggle wasn't being forced back far enough. What do you think?

Unread 02-24-2001, 11:13 AM   #7
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Re: Bargin Ammo

Bob,

I normally use handloads. My combination of 124 gr bullet and Unique Powder was a disaster in the Swan. After shooting the bargin ammo, I did some measurements and found that the Remington was shorter by about 0.055 inches. I seated some of my loads a little deeper and will try that. If that doesn't work, I'll try a little more powder (I am far away from the maximum recommended). I will also try a lighter bullet (115 gr).