LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 06-20-2020, 06:41 PM   #1
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,579 Times in 988 Posts
Default What I know about Mec-Gar mags!

Hi to all! just got to thinking, there are a considerable number of Mec-Gar magazines out in the field, and my recollection of their performance and durability has always been, not as good as an original, but close?
Well, the evolution of the magazine has something to do with how I now feel about the magazines? Initially I first came in contact with Mec-Gar Luger mags that were an industrial chrome or nickel finish, and a black plastic bottom. The mags were well made, terribly sprung, and had a killing design flaw in that the follower guide relief channel running vertical on the follower slot side, was a bit shy of reaching the slot, which in turn, allowed the coil spring to plunge forwards into the front of the mag tube, stopping all!!!!! These are still around, although seldom seen or used for that issue alone, much less the nasty strong spring...
The next evolution corrected this problem, and now you find the proper bit of flat surface on the back edge of the slot, reinforcing both the vertical relief, and the rear edge of the slot. The magazine shells came in blue or nickel and were heat treated which instantly made it theoretically better than any previous Luger mag ever made. The issues with this generation of mag were plenty, and consisted of, plastic bottoms blowing out, spring taking a set, and worst of all, the metal follower would occasionally gall the interior sheet metal and cause malfunctions, not unlike original mags that suffered the same... I had great success repairing and up grading these mags until.... Tah Dah.... The latest Mec-Gar magazine produced... Still had the heat treated magazine shell, but here is where the similarity to the old mags ended! The follower is a nylon reinforced plastic, tougher than all hell... Mag bottom same stuff.. No galling and no breaking, the mags are nearly indestructible! They are easily recognized by the ring stepped follower button, not the checkered button of earlier units. Shooters love them, collectors hate them... ... They even improved the spring to where I feel my GTHQ may be only marginally better, probably not going to live long enough to find out!!?? ... So, next time you get a Mec-Gar mag in hand, you will have a whole new perspective with which to view them... best to all, til....lat'r....GT.....
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2020, 07:54 PM   #2
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,586 Times in 517 Posts

Nice write up GT. All I ever use in my shooter Lugers are Mec-Gar mags and I've never had a problem with any of them Last ones I bought came from CDNN who had them for $20 each and that was only a few months ago. Their prices have since gone up.

It's my understanding that Mec-Gar makes OEM magazines for many different gun manufacturers so it stands to reason that they'd want to "get it right". I appreciate a company that recognizes a problem and then fixes it.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 6 members says Thank You to Doubs for your post:
Unread 06-21-2020, 04:23 PM   #3
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanx for the informative write-up. I looked through my Luger mags, and find that I have a few from each generation. A number of my mags GT has upgraded with his springs, bases, etc. At this point, I believe that all of my Mec-Gar mags are functional in MY Lugers.
Need DWM breechblock #21
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to rhuff for your post:
Unread 06-21-2020, 05:50 PM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,487 Times in 2,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff View Post
Thanx for the informative write-up. I looked through my Luger mags, and find that I have a few from each generation. A number of my mags GT has upgraded with his springs, bases, etc. At this point, I believe that all of my Mec-Gar mags are functional in MY Lugers.
I would imagine I am in the same boat - will have to look

Thanks GT for the nice write up
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 06-26-2020, 03:47 PM   #5
Sonofeugene
User

All my MecGar mags work.
Sonofeugene is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Sonofeugene for your post:
Unread 06-26-2020, 06:16 PM   #6
David_O
User

GT. I always pushed and used the MerGAR when i shoot my Lugers have not purchased any for sometime. Will see. David_O
David_O is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to David_O for your post:
Unread 06-27-2020, 01:29 PM   #7
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

GT thanks for the interesting writing.

All the times that in the past I took a Luger at the range I've always used a MEC-GAR magazine but I never had issues.
Unread 05-21-2021, 07:50 PM   #8
shadow
User

Thanks for the info. I just bought one.
The following member says Thank You to shadow for your post:
Unread 05-21-2021, 08:57 PM   #9
STEINBVG
User

Thanks GT.
i check all my magazines for smoothness of follower travel by using something long and not metallic like a chopstick to push the follower in all the way noticing if there any kinks or hesitation both ways.
Moving it down with the button seems to offset the vector of forces and doesn,t mimic what the rounds do to the follower + the button seems to create more friction this way giving a false reading.

I find Mec Gar to be extremely well made, I only have one, seemingly the last generation.
I,m a big fan of nylon as a strategic material. There are so many versions of it impregnated with additives of different qualities: lubricants, reinforcement etc.
if I,m not mistaking Glock like pistol frames are based in glass fiber filled nylon?
STEINBVG is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to STEINBVG for your post:
Unread 05-25-2021, 11:02 AM   #10
STEINBVG
User

Default 2 Mec Gar magazines

I got a second Mec Gar magazine and it loos different from my 1t.
The 1 one seems exactly like GT described gen 3, smooth shiny black shell with Made in Italy on it, Nylon follower and floor, Target like button.
The second magazine came with dull black shell, no Made in Italy, Plastic bottom and aluminum follower. Checkered button.
It seems to fit nicer though in my Interarms Luger[ I had to widen the 1t one at the area of the catch ]
It seems to function well.

I wonder what generation this one, i hope it's no one of those poorly designed early ones.
I will post the pics later today.
Unread 05-28-2021, 03:04 AM   #11
grantman
User

Default Your Mec-gar mags

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T. View Post
Hi to all! just got to thinking, there are a considerable number of Mec-Gar magazines out in the field, and my recollection of their performance and durability has always been, not as good as an original, but close?
Well, the evolution of the magazine has something to do with how I now feel about the magazines? Initially I first came in contact with Mec-Gar Luger mags that were an industrial chrome or nickel finish, and a black plastic bottom. The mags were well made, terribly sprung, and had a killing design flaw in that the follower guide relief channel running vertical on the follower slot side, was a bit shy of reaching the slot, which in turn, allowed the coil spring to plunge forwards into the front of the mag tube, stopping all!!!!! These are still around, although seldom seen or used for that issue alone, much less the nasty strong spring...
The next evolution corrected this problem, and now you find the proper bit of flat surface on the back edge of the slot, reinforcing both the vertical relief, and the rear edge of the slot. The magazine shells came in blue or nickel and were heat treated which instantly made it theoretically better than any previous Luger mag ever made. The issues with this generation of mag were plenty, and consisted of, plastic bottoms blowing out, spring taking a set, and worst of all, the metal follower would occasionally gall the interior sheet metal and cause malfunctions, not unlike original mags that suffered the same... I had great success repairing and up grading these mags until.... Tah Dah.... The latest Mec-Gar magazine produced... Still had the heat treated magazine shell, but here is where the similarity to the old mags ended! The follower is a nylon reinforced plastic, tougher than all hell... Mag bottom same stuff.. No galling and no breaking, the mags are nearly indestructible! They are easily recognized by the ring stepped follower button, not the checkered button of earlier units. Shooters love them, collectors hate them... ... They even improved the spring to where I feel my GTHQ may be only marginally better, probably not going to live long enough to find out!!?? ... So, next time you get a Mec-Gar mag in hand, you will have a whole new perspective with which to view them... best to all, til....lat'r....GT.....
G.T. Your Mags are Tops....each of the four you have provided have worked flawlessly. I would imagine the heart of the matter is the heat-treated magazine body. Your alterations are very sanitary and now all of my Weimar period P-08s sport your mags. keep up the good work!
grantman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2021, 06:04 AM   #12
STEINBVG
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEINBVG View Post
I got a second Mec Gar magazine and it loos different from my 1t.
The 1 one seems exactly like GT described gen 3, smooth shiny black shell with Made in Italy on it, Nylon follower and floor, Target like button.
The second magazine came with dull black shell, no Made in Italy, Plastic bottom and aluminum follower. Checkered button.
It seems to fit nicer though in my Interarms Luger[ I had to widen the 1t one at the area of the catch ]
It seems to function well.

I wonder what generation this one, i hope it's no one of those poorly designed early ones.
I will post the pics later today.
Here are the 2 Mec Gars. Is the dull one older generation?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8621F343-A75C-484E-B6B2-6979B8978425.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	83182  

Name:	4D32E6DB-FC8E-45CC-ADE2-9F8F7724F1BF.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	83183  

Unread 05-28-2021, 09:09 AM   #13
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,808 Times in 1,170 Posts

Anyone come across Interarms marked MecGars?

I have one with a Mauser style banner with Interarms on the spine. Never seen another one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Interarms_MecGar1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	83184  

Name:	Interarms_MecGar2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	83185  

Name:	Interarms_MecGar3.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	83186  

Last edited by Vlim; 05-28-2021 at 11:08 AM.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to Vlim for your post:
Unread 06-26-2021, 06:11 PM   #14
shadow
User

Thanks G.T.! I can not thank you enough for starting this thread! I tried my new Mec-Gar luger magazine today and bought a second one as soon as I got home.

I just put half a box (50 rounds) of 115gr white box Winchester through my luger without a single hiccup. My luger performed flawlessly. The other thing I noticed is that my ejected brass isn’t damaged anymore. In the past the spent brass usually had a big ding near the opening.

Thanks again!!
The following 2 members says Thank You to shadow for your post:
Unread 12-18-2023, 09:26 AM   #15
Kiwi
User

6 left for $40 each
https://www.cdnnsports.com/luger-p08...ne-mecgar.html

I got mine from CDNN a couple of years ago - all good

BETTER deal $33 and 21 available

https://www.opticsplanet.com/mec-gar...-magazine.html
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2023, 02:24 PM   #16
DTR04
User

Better deal at Greg Cote. Appear to be in stock.

https://gregcotellc.com/cart/luger-m...gazines-c-128/
DTR04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2023, 03:42 PM   #17
Mac Cat
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

MEC-GAR also sells direct from their web site
Blue $44 (out of stock today)
Nickel $49

I also found another odd 3rd party brand called MAGLUG, but the magazine appears to be a late model unmarked MEC-GAR magazine!? Strange, but it was $30 at a local gun store.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MAGLUG luger magazine.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	87777  

Mac Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2023, 10:32 AM   #18
velodog455~
User

As of this writing, MecGar P.08 blued magazines are available on Ebay from several vendors for $32.17 w/free shipping. Nickel mags are a couple of dollars more.
-Bob
velodog455~ is online now   Reply With Quote