LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 08-26-2001, 09:27 AM   #1
Bob Fallon

Default Luger Questions

Hello -

Can anyone tell me something about my Dad's Luger? He brought it back in 1945. On the top it is stamped S/42. Also on top, it has the letter 'G' just before the barrel. On the safety side it is stamped '41'. On the side opposite the safety, there is a 'S92' in a box, along with a couple of what seem to be little eagles. One of the eagles has '211' under it. On the bottom of the barrel is an '8 : 82'. All the ther numbers are the serial number, or the last 2 digits of the serial number. I'm guessing the condition of the metal to be in the 90% range. Bore is very strong, no pitting or rust. The grips are wood, dark, with real good chekering. Any info as to origin, value, manufactrer, etc. is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Unread 08-26-2001, 09:47 AM   #2
Johnny Peppers
User

Default Re: Luger Questions

Bob,

Your Luger is what is commonly referred to as a G Date. In 1934 the Germans began using a letter code for for the date. In 1934 it was K, and in 1935 it was the G. The S/42 was the code for the manufacturer Mauser. The full serial number and letter suffix will be found on the front of the receiver, bottom of the barrel, and on the bottom of the magazine if it is still matching to the pistol. The left side of the receiver will have the full serial number but no letter suffix. As you stated the major small parts will have the last two digits of the serial number, and the 8.82 is the land diameter of the barrel. The marks on the right side of the receiver will be the firing proof and the army acceptance stamps. The value depends greatly on every part being numbered to the pistol and the overall condition. If it is all matching and 90% my estimate would be in the $900/1100 range. Holster, extra matching magazine, and tool would add to this.

Unread 08-26-2001, 02:58 PM   #3
Bob Fallon

Default Thanks Johnny

Everything matches but the magazine. I guess in the 10 years between manufacture & capture it would be kind of tough to hold on to the original magazine. I have cleaned the grips per instructions in the FAQ section & they look great. I'm proud of this piece, especially considering what Dad went through to get it. Thanks again for your info.