LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 08-27-2001, 03:37 PM   #1
Steve
User

Default Shooters/parts

This weekend I went to a show to see if I could find a shooter grade pistol. When I talked to the only dealer there that had Lugers, I was told that he very seldom sold lower grad pLugers. Whenever he purchased one, he broke it up for parts because it is more profitable. What is the feeling on this topic? I know it won't change his mind but I think it makes it that much harder to find a gun just for shooting.

Unread 08-27-2001, 04:42 PM   #2
Rob Regers

Default Re: Shooters/parts

I agree, at that rate the only Lugers left will be collectors that sit in curio cabinets. Its a crime in a sense of the word. My feelings are it sucks!

Unread 08-27-2001, 04:47 PM   #3
Uncle Mike
User

Hi Steve,I think that guy's giving you a load of apple sauce.I've seen plenty of good shooters around check out the Classied section.There are more knowledgable people on this site than I,but I think a complete gun is worth more than parts.Good Luck,MC.

Unread 08-27-2001, 05:14 PM   #4
Uncle Mike
User

Hi again,See Tom Hellers post down the page"WWI luger" he might have what your looking for.MC

Unread 08-27-2001, 07:42 PM   #5
Doug
User

Default I Strongly Disagree

In the Midwest I see plenty of crappy shooter grade P.08's for sale at ridiculous prices. When I tried to sell a decent (blue wear only)1917 DWM mismatch for the whopping price of $350 no one would buy it, not even on Auction Arms! Out of desperation to sell it, I then broke it down into the sum of it's parts and got $400 plus got to keep the complete toggle! When you think about it though a car is worth more for it's parts than together, so why not guns? The way I figure it if it was a parts gun to begin with what does it hurt.

My .02 worth.

Unread 08-27-2001, 08:34 PM   #6
Steve
User

I know that shooter grade guns are available. I just wanted to find out what others thought of the practice.

Unread 08-27-2001, 08:48 PM   #7
BILL
User

Default Re: I Strongly Disagree

Selling a Luger for it's parts is a lot of work. I also think that a Luger parted out is worth a lot more than a complete Luger. It seems strange, but the parts are worth more than a complete gun. If you were to start buying all the parts to build a Luger you would be out a lot of money and time.

Unread 08-27-2001, 10:13 PM   #8
Uncle Mike
User

Default I stand corrected

Hi,I didn't know that was the case.It's kinda sad but it's also economics I guess.MC

Unread 08-27-2001, 10:56 PM   #9
Johnny Peppers
User

Default Re: I stand corrected

Whether a Luger is more valuable as an original pistol, or broken down into parts would depend greatly upon the pistol itself. More than likely a shooter grade Luger would be worth more as parts, but a rare Luger broken down into parts would loose most of it's value. Another example would be an all matching rig. The first matching magazine adds considerably to the value of a Luger, and the second matching magazine adds greatly to the value. The correct tool and holster are worth much more with the rig than if sold seperately.

Unread 08-27-2001, 11:12 PM   #10
Doug
User

Default Clarification

Let me be clear I feel that breaking down a 60-70% miss-matched gun is no big deal. But breaking up a complete rig or a matching gun would definitely be a waste. I will say though that if people had left all of the guns that came back from the war in original condition values today would be much less. Original Mauser's and '03 Springfieldâ??s and Lugers would still be worth $100-150 if none were ever butchered for sporters or chromed or generally ruined. While I hate to see these examples at gun shows I have to realize that this is why things become more valuable. All things being equal I'd rather they weren't butchered, then I'd have more!!!

Unread 08-28-2001, 03:31 PM   #11
Dieter

Default Re: Clarification

hi, you all should think about the spare-parts. If nobody sales parts of disassembled lugers, many luger-friends wouldn't have matching numbers on their guns.

Unread 08-28-2001, 08:29 PM   #12
Hugh
RIP

Default Dieter, is yo tryn to stir up Kyrie agin? :D

Unread 08-28-2001, 11:51 PM   #13
Rob Regers

Default THE HORROR, THE HORROR

Butchering lugers not only has driven up the price and scarcity but also has made the Luger somewhat of a rarity among shooters. This practice can be stopped by making avaliable aftermarket replacement parts and/or buying stoeger/aimco lugers. The hell with economics its the principle. Parting out Lugers that would otherise be enjoyed is a crime! All the parts as we all know do not get used and unfortunately some get thrown out. In military surplus mags they have Luger parts-remanufactured. Business and appreciation of relics are at opposite ends. Some people wish to only realize a profit above all else and i wish they take their ethics elsewhere!

Unread 08-29-2001, 08:46 AM   #14
tom h

Default Re:PO8 parts

Rob, Forunately not all of the forum members share your views, as I have supplied many of them with ORIGINAL luger parts over the past 25 years. If I do part out an original non recent import luger, it is because it is a shotout mismatch that no self respecting collector would want.You can rest assured that I would never distroy anything that is collector grade. Years ago when Lugers were selling for $39.95, I may have thought differently. Tom h