LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 08-28-2001, 04:03 AM   #1
Patrick McGlashan

Default Help, what model is this 1917 DWM

Hi Guys. A friend of mine has a 1917 DWM Luger for sale.

Here's all the information I have on the piece.

The pistol looks all original, the blueing is 95% in tact.

All the small numbers matches the last two didgits of the

serial number...1798.

The monogram on top says DWM, with "1917" forward of it and also on the barrel extension below the forward sight.

On the left side of the pistol are three proof marks. From rear to front, two of the marks are identical. They have the uppercase lettem "M" below what appears to be a five-sided geometric figure. The third mark is just a repeat of the geometric figure mentioned earlier, except it does not have the letter "M" below it. The length of the barrel is approximately 5 and 3/16 inches. It has a checkered wooden grip that is in excellent condition. The bottom of the magazine is made of wood. The serial number on the magazine is different from the number on the pistol itself. The pistol has no surface rust and has no obviously worn parts.

On the bottom of the barrel and just forward of the trigger guard is the lowercase letter "a" stamped into the metal. The serial number is located above the letter in both cases.

Just forward of the rear sight and underneath a sliding whatever-you-call-it, are the numbers "100" and "200" respectively.

I hope I have provided the reader(s) with sufficient information to help me make an informed decision on this purchase.

There is a very interesting story behind this Luger. The gentleman..in his 60s, said his father brought it home from the war and he inherited the Luger after his father had passed away. The gentleman said his father told him that he took it off the body of a German SS Officer. The german was shot by a farmer after he raped the farmer's two daughters. To make the story even more interesting, the father was carrying his U.S Army issued .45 Automatic which he loaned to the farmer, the farmer somehow found the german officer and took him around the back of a building and shot him to death. It was at this point the father relieved the dead german of his weapon. The son still has the .45 which has eight notches in the grip. He is a bit reluctant to part with it, however, he said he would take $500 for it. I told him I'd think about it. I don't know if that's too much to pay for a .45 M1911. He's asking $1000 for the Luger.

Can someone tell me if this is a good buy? I believe both weapons would make a very interesting combination.

Whether or not the above story as told to me by the gentleman is true, it sure makes for some interesting reading.

Thanks for any help

Patrick.

Unread 08-28-2001, 05:58 AM   #2
Dieter

Default Re: Help, what model is this 1917 DWM

I think it's is a marine-luger (the M at the proof-marks), and the 120 mm-barrel are signs for that. for you in the states are $ 1000 the same, as DM 1000 for us here in germany. and so i think, that this gun is very cheap. do the other ones agree?

Unread 08-28-2001, 08:49 AM   #3
tom
User

Your Luger sounds like an Imperial Navy; in the condition you describe, $1000 is a STEAL. If you do not want it, I certainly do!

Tom

Unread 08-28-2001, 09:19 AM   #4
tom h

Patrick, I agree with Tom that the 1917 Navy @$1000 is less that half the normal retail for this variation in collectable condition. His GI 45 is probably also a bargain @$500 depending on variation and condition. Tomh

Unread 08-28-2001, 12:50 PM   #5
Patrick McGlashan

Hi Guys. Thanks for the valuable responses. I did some further research on the Luger. The proof marks are definitely German Navy Receiver proof marks.

I forgot to mention the holster. It came with a brown holster. The initials "LZA" with an eagle below it with the name "J.Karlsruhe, is stamped on it. The cleaning rod and what appears to be a screwdriver, is included with the holster. The year "1918" is stamped on the inside of the flap.

The gentleman who is selling the Luger, said he has an official letter given to his father authorizing him to take the Luger out of Germany.

Once again, thanks for speedy response. If and when I buy these pieces, you all will be hearing from me again.

Patrick.

Unread 08-28-2001, 02:15 PM   #6
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Buy them both Patrick...

From what you have described you will not regret this transaction.

IF for some reason you decide not to buy the Luger, let the forum know because someone here (especially Tom) will buy it at that price. I guess I would be second in line...

:>)

Good Luck,

John

Unread 08-28-2001, 03:16 PM   #7
Hugh
RIP

Default Re: Buy them both Patrick...

Ah wud hanrestle Tom an John to be furst ifn Patrick didn buy hit!

Unread 08-28-2001, 07:14 PM   #8
Bob Spitzer

Default Re: Buy them both Patrick...

For what it is worth, I'll get on that line also. I don't as yet own A Naval, Bob Sp.

Unread 08-28-2001, 11:57 PM   #9
Ad.

Default A newbie (me) should get first crack! (EOM)