LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 08-25-2001, 10:00 PM   #1
lawrence fredrick klang

Default 1918 luger pistol

my uncle just died and left me a 1918 luger pistol. I would like to know everything i can about it. i don't know anything about pistols, so i really need help.

the gun appears to be in very good condition. it has 1918 stamped on top of the barrel. the number 21 has been stamped at several locations on the gun and at one place 121 is stamped. the numbers 88 and then what appears to be a small 8 are stamped underneath the barrel.what appears to be initials are engraved in a fancy script on top of the place a bullet would enter the barrel.it is strictly a guess, but the letters look like DWC. the word geschert is stamped where the safety lever is located. What looks like a small eagle or bird is stamped on the (action?)then 4 small figures, maybe men or chess pieces are stamped on the gun, probably not stamped, more like engraved, like the 3 letters.the first 3 men or pieces have what looks like a crown on top of their heads and the 4th figure is facing me with his hands up (this is only what it looks like to me)the clip has a piece of wood on the end which is recessed so that a finger can be placed on it to pull the clip out. the gun looks like a 9mm and the barrel looks like it is about 3-4 inches long. thats about all i can think of.i would sure appreciate any info you can give me. thanks in advance. larry f. klang

Unread 08-25-2001, 10:37 PM   #2
Johnny Peppers
User

Default Re: 1918 luger pistol

Lawrence,

The full serial number and probably a letter suffix will be found on the front of the frame and the bottom of the barrel. The full serial number without a letter suffix will be found on the left side of the receiver. All the major small parts should have the last two digits of the serial number. The 8.8? number that you see on the bottom of the barrel is the bore or land diameter of the barrel. The script initials on the toggle are DWM the manufacturer of the pistol. The firing proof and acceptance stamps are found on the right side of the receiver. The wooden bottom magazine originally had the serial number with letter suffix that matched the pistol.

Unread 08-25-2001, 11:17 PM   #3
Dok
RIP

Welcome to the Luger Forum Lawrence,

Look in the Technical Info section and you will find info there that will explain some of those symbols (stamps). You have a standard 1918 military issue P.08, and it sounds like it's all matching. If you could supply digital pictures, folks here could give you a lot more info.

Dok (Webmaster)

Unread 08-26-2001, 07:23 PM   #4
lawrence fredrick klang

johnny, thanks a lot for the quick reply. this is the first time i ever tried a message board, it fantastic! i can't wait to check everything out. I see they have instructions on how to strip it down etc. i still can't figure out what the little figures would be. The web site pictures show several pictures of the script initials on top, but my pistol soes not have anything on the top front.also i can't find mine in the production charts. is this unusual? thanks again. i will share any information i get.

lawrence

Unread 08-26-2001, 07:38 PM   #5
lawrence fredrick klang

thanks a lot for the quick reply.i will take some digital shots of it and share them with everyone. i have had several pistols over the years,but never took the time to find out much about them. now that i am retired, maybe i can really learn about them,particularly my luger. it looks like it would shoot. is it ok?

Lawrence

Unread 08-26-2001, 08:08 PM   #6
Dok
RIP

Default Because I also have a 1918 luger pistol...

I am familiar with those markings (see The Jewel under my name in the Owner's Corner). If you look in the Technical section, under Markings, under Proofs 2, No 15 should be your proofs.

Dok

Unread 08-26-2001, 08:19 PM   #7
Thor
User

Default Re: Because I also have a 1918 luger pistol...

AH HA!!.....we mention the JEWEL again, alas.....it will only be ANOTHER WEEK! hahah! The suspense is BUILDING!! ~~~~~~~~THOR~~~~~~~~`,,,,,,ouch, that last lighting bolt....hurt me!

Unread 08-26-2001, 11:18 PM   #8
lawrence fredrick klang

Default Re: Because I also have a 1918 luger pistol...

dok, thanks for the info on my luger. the proof markings shown on no. 15 are just like the ones on my luger. i sure appreciate the help. larry