LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Announcements & Help > Site Technical Help or Site Feedback

Unread 06-24-2002, 05:06 PM   #1
beaglerobert
User

Post P. 08 Luger

Need Some Help Identifying This Luger, Thanx.
Toggle inscp.= 42 & last two digits of serial #
Chamber = 1939
Toggle = Squared & Knurled (clean & sharp)
Grip Saftey = no
Stock Lug = Yes (clean & Sharp)
Caliber = 9mm
Grip = Plastic, Brown, No Insig., All Checkering
clean & sharp, with border, no dings or dents in grips.
Thumb Saftey ="Safe" in rear pos. with "GESICHERT"
Markings = Last two digits of serial # is everywhere, Front of trigger housing is the full serial # and a scriptive F and a horizontal 8, Nitro proof mark under barrell (N w/crown above),
there are other markings under the barrell but I cannot make them out, seem to be partially stamped, due to curvature of barrell, Right side of Chamber there are three eagles with dots in them, and the #'s 63 below left two of the three eagles. On left side the full serial #, On left side of 1st toggle pivot there is an eagle with a circle beneath it, can't make out what markings are in circle, beneath right wing, looks like a prick punch mark.
Barrell = 4"
Left edge of Extractor = "Geladen"
Sights = (Front) blade style with tiny grooves from bottom to almost the top (clean & sharp)
(REAR) Toggle "V" with front dished out
Magazine = Bottom plugs are made out of Aluminium with the serial #'s and #'s 1 & 2, also the #'s 2/1001 are stamped in the side.
Finish = blued finish, it is almost perfect except on the grip in the back where the grip saftey would go other than that it is unmarred throught the entire gun.
Would it be advisable to shoot this gun or would it decrease the value?
beaglerobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2002, 06:51 PM   #2
Kyrie
User

Hi beaglerobert,

You have a Luger made by Mauser (the â??42â?? code on the toggle) originally made in 1939. It was rebarreled by the East Germans (the Crown over N on the barrel and the magazines marked â??2/1001â?? and numbered â??1â?? and â??2â??). Lugers like yours have been recently imported in fairly large numbers lately. Feel free to shoot it, as it has no collector value at this time or in the foreseeable future.

Hope this helps!

Kyrie
Moderator - Cruffler_Forum on Yahoo Groups
"The flame free C&R Forum."
Kyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2002, 07:02 PM   #3
Roadkill
User

Where is the import stamp?

RK
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2002, 06:39 AM   #4
Marvin
User

I agree with Kyrie that your Luger does not have any collector value at this time, but there may be a time in the future when it may have some collector value. My reason for saying this is that yours is an East German rework which was an "official" rework by a government entity. Shoot the pistol and certainly enjoy it, but take care of it.

At one time, the Weimar Era reworks were not classed as very collectible, but now they are another variation. The value of the Weimar reworks are not high yet, but you never know in the world of collecting Lugers.

Marvin
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2002, 10:09 AM   #5
Karl
Lifer - Twice Over
Lifetime Forum
Patron

beaglerobert,

I agree with the other posts, however, before you shoot the gun please disassemble, inspect and clean it. Hardened grease can cause a variety of problems. You will find disassembly instructions on the forum home page. You don't need to completely disassemble it but at least work on the firing pin assembly, the trigger bar, the hold open, the ejector and extractor. You may also need to work on the magazines, many of the East German mags I've seen are not satisfactory as-is because of old grease or physical damage. Happy shooting. KFS
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote