LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 03-12-2022, 08:25 AM   #21
schutzen-jager
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla.Mallard View Post
Parts shouldn't break .. plain and simple. I bought a cheap "C" press from them about 20 years ago. The pot-metal handle broke in half after 4 or 5 months of limited use. I threw it away and have not bought any more Lee cheap stuff except a 7.63 Mauser die set because I couldn't find one from Redding or RCBS. I use it sparingly and it functions OK.

Buyer beware of cheap crap.

Lyman seems to be forgetting how to use quality control and their customer service is the pits. They won't even respond to emails I have sent.
been reloading 66+ years several thousand rounds per year - have RCBS , Hornady , Lyman + lee tools - Lee melting pot , 12ga. loadall , 9 different dies , 9 different molds , lubricator sizer , plus mentioned priming too only problem with any Lee product was the priming tool + 9mm mold { replaced under the guaranty ] - had several defective RCBS dies + lyman tumbler -
parts definitely do break + wear out -

Last edited by schutzen-jager; 03-12-2022 at 10:46 AM. Reason: spelling
schutzen-jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2022, 10:23 AM   #22
Neil Young
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

"Jim, I have nursed my pile of Lee primer tools through thousands of loads as well. If Lee could make ONE change it would be to make the roller that pushes up the ram arm out of machined steel..It's just too soft to work without abnormal wear. Once you wear a groove in it..it's hard to make it work. I think earlier sets may have been a higher quality? Maybe not too..Frequent white lithium grease.."

Jerry, how hard do you think it would be to make that roller? Is it something that I could make on a lathe? Picture?

Unread 03-14-2022, 01:39 AM   #23
grantman
User

I have had good luck with RCBS handheld units, both the universal shell-holder and the earlier model that requires a shell-holder for each caliber. These units are durable but require the user to develop a "feel" for the proper alignment of primer-to-pocket. For 9mm however, i have a progressive press.
grantman is offline   Reply With Quote