LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 06-16-2003, 09:10 PM   #1
nola
New User

Post What can you tell me about my Luger?

New member here. I have a Luger my Dad left me. He had bought it sometime in the last 15 years.

It is marked DWM on the top toggle, 7.65mm, SN 4980 (same number on frame front, barrel, 80 on back of toggle) a crown/N on left side of frame and under barrel. Knurled knobs, checkered wood grips, wooden magazine end (no markings on the magazine) the word Germany on right side of frame. Under the barrel beneath the SN is a little lower-case 'i'(?) figure. (Looks a little like a fish hook.)

The finish is excellent with very little holster wear a couple of minor dings, very light rusting on the front strap, straw color on safety and takedown button is intact.

I would like to know what someone can tell me about the gun's history, manufacture and value? My Dad paid $900 for the gun originally. Is it worth now what he paid for it then?

Thanks in advance for anything you can tell me.

nola is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2003, 11:01 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts
Hello Howard!

Yours fits the Weimar Alphabet SN DWM Lugers (Jan Still Weimar Lugers), with commercial proof on left receiver, bottom of barrel and the breechblock should also be stamped. The 1921s are have ones that are dated, and yours is one of the unmarked commercial subvariations. It states they are marked Germany, and yours was meant for commerical sales and so was marked Germany and is in 7.65mm.

These have long been termed 1920 commericials, but further research has shown that thye were made from 1921 - 1928 and the i suffix range was made first in 1921.

Price wise, that sounds about right, although I am not positive about that and think it is a bit high still for the caliber. I think he paid a premium 15 years ago for the gun.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2003, 11:04 PM   #3
Herb
User

Nola, it's hard to tell from the pictures if it has been refinished or reblued. Also you make no mention if all of the small parts, externally and internally, carry the last two digits of the serial number which would serarate a collectable from a shooter. It has to be dissembled to see the internal parts. If it is all original and all matching, less the magazine, it would probably go for around $1200, if not all original perhaps up to around $500. In order for us to make a better judgement we need more information about the fine details of the weapon. This is just an estimate as some Lugers seem to go for really unreal proces at some of the auction sites.
Unread 06-16-2003, 11:11 PM   #4
nola
New User

The number 80 is also stamped on the takedown button and on the bottom side of the flat piece on the left side of the receiver (is this the trigger plate?), 80 is also on the side of the trigger.
nola is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2003, 11:55 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts
The following parts should have serial numbers on them:
Frame, full serial number with suffix
Under barrel, full serial number with or without suffix (not sure about this on commericals)

All the following parts should have the last two numerals stamped on them:
Firing pin
Extractor
Sear bar
Breechblock
Front toggle link
Rear toggle link
Locking bolt (takedown lever)
Side plate (with a few exceptions through the years, see comments on side plate)
Trigger
Safety lever
Safety bar
Hold-open latch
Grips (inside)
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote