LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 12-17-2006, 08:21 PM   #1
BillOH
User

Question Help Identify Wife's Friend's Luger?

A friend of my wife's asked me to look at "an old gun" she got from her father. Imagine my surprise when she showed up with a Luger instead of a Raven .25.

I've done a little reading here on the forum. There is no number on top of the chamber. Does that mean it is a commercial gun?

The serial #s appear to match but I didn't take the gun apart because I don't know how. I'm a S&W revolver or Glock kind of guy.

The serial # is 13XX with a cursive n below it. It has checkered wood grips, a stock lug, no grip safety and is 30 caliber. Barrel is 3.7 ". Germany is stamped on the right side of the frame just behind the barrel. There is a stamp of what looks like a crown with a capital N just above the serial # on the bottom ot the barrel. This is repeated on the left side of the chamber.

It has one magazine with wood bottom and no serial # on it. I has a flap holster with P-08 stamped on the back.

I don't know how to grade Lugers but it has about 75% or a little more of good blueing and has a couple of rust freckles. Doesn't seem to be much straw coloring on those parts.

She wants to keep the gun because in came to her father through her grandfather, but she would like info about the gun and approximate worth. I have some pictures if that would help. Thanks,

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_1045.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	1373  

BillOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2006, 08:39 PM   #2
Doug G.
User

It's a 1920-23 commercial, worth about $600-800 in the condition you state. These were some of the most common lugers.
Unread 12-17-2006, 08:43 PM   #3
BillOH
User

Thanks for the quick reply. Is this a shooter then?

Bill
Unread 12-17-2006, 08:56 PM   #4
Doug G.
User

It would be a shooter in my opinion. That said it still has collector value in that it may be all original. The bad thing is that it is in .30 Luger which is expensive to shoot unless you reload.
Unread 12-17-2006, 09:10 PM   #5
LugerVern
User

Hi Bill

I agree with Doug, on the model. Pricing and collect ability is subject to a few things like all matching parts, re finishing and bore condition. Does the holster have any other markings? You didnâ??t say anything about the toggle having the DWM, is it blank? A good site to visit would be http://www.simpsonltd.com they have several 1920 commercials on page two of the DWM section if youâ??re curious about grading.
Having a gun handed down from family members is always special, glad to hear she plans on keeping it.

Vern
LugerVern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2006, 09:42 PM   #6
BillOH
User

Yes the toggle does have the DWM script. Thanks for the link. I graded it pretty close.

The holster might have a small crown or something on the back above the P08 but it was pretty faint.

Bill
Unread 12-19-2006, 11:00 AM   #7
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Bill, Most "PO8" marked holsters are dated 1941 and after. Check above and/or between the belt loops for a manufactures name or code, city, date and inspector's eagle & WaA number. A number above the PO8 on back upper corner, would probably indicate use by the Police. TH
Unread 12-19-2006, 05:37 PM   #8
BillOH
User

She took evrything home with her but I have a bunch of pictures. Here's the back of the holster.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img_1051.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1384  

Unread 12-19-2006, 05:39 PM   #9
BillOH
User

Here's another
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img_1049.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	1385  

Unread 12-19-2006, 05:42 PM   #10
BillOH
User

So, I guess this gun was manufactured during the 1920's, imported to the US, sold through normal commercial channels and was never a military weapon?

She said her Grandfather had a slaughterhouse and got this gun to use when a .22 wouldn't do the job.

Thanks for all the info.

Bill